evolution help needed: delete mail on server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chene
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: evolution help needed: delete mail on server Reply with quote

greetings,

my question is a bit off-topic. It is about evolution and not really gentoo-specific. If this is not appropriate, please kindly tell me so.

I have set up evolution to check my pop3 mail (pop.mail.yahoo.com) and I have selected to "leave mail on server" just in case that I may check my pop3 mail from other machine. My question is, how do I configure evolution such that, whenever I delete an email from evolution, the corresponding email is also deleted from the pop3 server?

In other word, how do I sync my evolution-mail completely with my pop3-mail?

In the current state, whenever I delete a (downloaded pop3) mail from my evolution mail, it is actually marked as "read" on my pop3 server. So my pop3 mail is getting very, very, full :roll:

any help is very much appreciated,
!k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Have not been able to find a way to do that.... Reply with quote

I have been looking for a way to do that too, or at least have evolution keep mail on the server for X days.

I've searched in Kmail and Mozilla's mail client for similar and it appears one can either delete the mail OR leave the mail.

Hoping someone can refute the above ;)

kind regards,
!k
Coogee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you guys need is IMAP and not POP3.

With IMAP you read/delete/store your mails directly on the mail server. But IMAP is usually not for free.
With POP3 you log into the mailserver, get all the stuff, delete it if wanted and then log out again. For mails which are deleted later you have to log-in again, delete it and log out.
I've never seen an email client acting this way.

Last time I used Windows email clients (Win98, OE5 ;-)), this function also was not included.
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: use mozilla mail for deleting Reply with quote

Hi,

I too have linux evolution on a desktop pc at home as main mail archive.
I've set up evo to just download and leave mail on server for certain accounts.

I need to read my mail on certain other PCs too. One is also using evo with the same setup. Another (my PC at work) is win2k - no evolution here ... There I use Mozilla Mail to read the same mail account. And MozMail I have set up to leave on the server as well BUT also to delete mail from POP3 server when I delete the local copy. So during work I check my private mail from time to time, a lot of spam I delete there directly (keepint it away from the home evolution setup) and delete mails that I know to have already in my mail archive.

works quite well that way :)
!k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: IMAP v POP Reply with quote

The problem with IMAP is that my disk space fills up periodically.... and then I have to manually go clean it out. The idea is to strore ALL of my mail on an archive at the desktop at home, but whilst checking my mail from an Island in the Carribean I still have the last 5 days of mail to reply to :)

Does the Linux version of Mozilla have the ability to delete mail on the server only onces its been delted locally? As Jens described for the PC version of Mozilla? I looked but didn't find it.

cheers,

k
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: IMAP v POP Reply with quote

!k wrote:

Does the Linux version of Mozilla have the ability to delete mail on the server only onces its been delted locally? As Jens described for the PC version of Mozilla? I looked but didn't find it.

cheers,

k

Yes, the mail setup for pop3 looks exactly the same under linux as under Win
at least here with an mozilla-1.1 (GTK2)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: