View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Kde2 configuration while in KDE3 Reply with quote

Ok, well, title says it all...

Once upon a time, everything worked fine... I messed up with my fonts trying to make them look better, and I made one HELL of a mess...everything was terrible, as I had played with every configuration file on the planet...

After unmerging and emerging Xfree back, removing all my fonts...

Surprise surprise, now my Gentoo installation, font-wise, looks as good as Windows... go figure, I have been looking for almost a year for a solution to fix my fonts in every toolkit at the same time... And for some reason, now it works by default, when it never did before...

Anyway, only thing is, on my main user account, KDE2 app fonts aren't right...while in new user accounts, or other old ones, they are fine... Thus I figure its a problem with my user's configuration file... Joke is... Since KDE2 stuff doesn't have a config center after you install KDE3... I can't find which file to edit!

I looked near everywhere, so now well, I give up and ask away...

(sorry, long story for nothing...)

If you didn't read all that, my question is:
where is the configuration file containing font information for KDE2 apps, when you have KDE3 installed...

Thank you in advance :)
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Oh my god... Reply with quote

Well, I gave up and just copied all the hidden files from a new user directory to my main user one...

And it worked....

(I still want to know which file it was that fixed the problem, however... Which file contains the user-specific configs for KDE apps...)

But now it works... So Gentoo becomes officialy the first distro where I am able to get decent fonts in every applications (from Mozilla to Open Office, the menus...not the text itself, thats easy, to GTK and Xforms...)

For some of the more skilled windows users, I guess thats nothing...but for me... I'm so happy...!
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

Well, now I want to know where the QT2 config file is...heh... Fonts aren't fixed in stuff like nethack and the programs generated by Kylix...

Considering that Linux is supposed to be fully customizable, its annoying not to be able to customise my fonts just because I can't find the config files...

Asked around...no one seems to know...bleh...
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC QT2 didn't have config files. The config file (and app) were added in QT3.
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I see...makes sense... So then, is there any way of changing the default fonts in QT applications? They used to be fine for me...then I reinstalled X and a few things...kept the exact same fonts, same font order...and now the fonts in QT2 apps seem to be 1 point to big (I'm picky, I know...I wouldn't be that picky if they didn't use to be just fine), though everything else is fine...

Since it only affects 2 programs, I could live with it... I'm more in this for the knowledge of it than just fixing it...

(btw, thanks for the answer... I could have looked for it for a LONG time...)
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe KDE3 apps are set to use AntiAliased fonts and KDE2 apps don't :?:

BTW, why do you still have kde2 apps around :?: Aren't there newer versions :?:
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original post was KDE2, because of Kinkatta....there are other KDE3 softwares out there, but its the one I prefer, and its KDE2... I never found the file for the configs of KDE2 apps, but it has to be somewhere since I copy pasted the files from another account and it fixed those...

Now I have a problem with pure QT2 apps... namely, Nethack and the apps generated by Kylix 3... Maybe I should post that in another thread, since the title is misleading...hrm

And no, I don't use antialiasing on anything, I don't like it... I'm going for a default "windows" look, font-wise.

*sigh* Thats probably the single only thing I despises with Linux...so hard to configurate fonts because of so many different toolkits...
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On kinkatta's homepage (http://kinkatta.sourceforge.net) there's a version for KDE3.

As for AA fonts, I don't like the AA'd for default sizes as well, but even windows sets them to AA at some point, so my setup is not to AA normal fonts between 8 and 15 sizes, but AA all Bold and Italic fonts. The result is beautiful.

IIRC QT2 needed Xft support to render fonts, while QT3 has freetype support built in (in addition to Xft).
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you... I'll check out for Kinkatta on KDE3...

And I know... The problem seems to really be more simple than that... Sorry for being so stubborn.

Once upon a time, I had QT2 stuff working just fine, font-wise, but the rest was weird out... Now, I fixed everything, but surprise surprise, its QT2 that isn't ok anymore...even though all my fonts are exactly the same (I didn't add a single one from the default Xfree install of Gentoo...)

www.blackphoenix.net/kylix.jpg

Look at the actualy test form I was making: The fonts are perfect in it, while the stuff around it (menu and the like) messed up... Now, the menus and everything is fine, but when I make the same form, the fonts are weird... Of course, since this is developpement its easy to fix... Its just an exemple, as I have the same problem with other QT2 apps, and it is annoying the (...) out of me. I had it just fine before... If I had not, I would have given up by now =P

Well, thank you for your quick replies still...

Mm...you can setup AA for larger fonts only you say? Hrm... out of the subject I guess, but where to you set that up?

-Shados
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are set in /etc/X11/XftConfig. Here's the end of my /etc/X11/XftConfig (which sets AA as I explained in my previsous post):
Code:
match
        any pixelsize > 8
        any pixelsize < 15
edit
        antialias = false;

match
        any size > 8
        any size < 15
edit
        antialias = false;

match
        all slant == italic
edit
        antialias = true;

match
        all weight == bold
edit
        antialias = true;

BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...lot of tweaks you can do with that for stubborn applications... If I understand the syntax, seems like I could indirectly fix all my problems...

Thank you for answering all my questions! Goooo Gentoo!
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPhoenix wrote:
Interesting...lot of tweaks you can do with that for stubborn applications... If I understand the syntax, seems like I could indirectly fix all my problems...

Have fun :-), and here's some nice reference to get you started.

BlackPhoenix wrote:
Thank you for answering all my questions! Goooo Gentoo!

You're welcome 8)
BlackPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most impressive...

I copied your configuration as you said, and now the fonts all across the board look better than in Windows, and it also, somehow, setup my fonts in QT2 to work exactly like I wanted them... I wont ask, I just know it works... Just need to fix Kylix and Im set, but now at least I know what file to edit :)

You made my day.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: