Upgrading to Windows XP on a dual-boot system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Upgrading to Windows XP on a dual-boot system Reply with quote

Hi,

(Couldn't decide which forum was most suitable, so I'm posting here!)

I am currently dual-booting Windows 98SE and Gentoo Linux 1.2, using GRUB. I am wanting to wipe 98 and replace it with Windows XP Pro. However, I am slightly concerned that the Windows install process might do something stupid and screw up Gentoo...

Has anybody done this and had any problems, or is it as straight forward as dropping in the CD and selecting to go over my old FAT32 partition?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

tom.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP will wipe out GRUB, but other than that it is pretty harmless. Just use the Gentoo CD to reinstall GRUB. Make Doubly sure that you do install on the FAT32 partition.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard stories of XP wanting to format some non-Windows partitions.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to create a grub floppy too....thats what i have used instead of the cd , kinda handy
Cloim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend backing up your gentoo partitions, just in case.
My comp came with XP. At one point I had to re-install it. The installation program insisted that it had to reformat my HD before continuing. It did ask first, and it was a computer specific install procedure (HP Pavillion with a 'protected' restore partition == so it actually re-installed the 'protected' partition and then installed XP from there).
tom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anybody else searches the forums with the same question:

Carried out the reinstall last night, with no problems! I've never touched XP before, but everything went surprisingly smoothly. XP lists the partition table, showing my FAT32 (win 98 ) partition, along with three unrecognised partitions (boot, swap, and root). It was just a matter of choosing to delete FAT32, create a new partition with the unused space, then formatting it with NTFS for the install.

Win XP did indeed wipe out GRUB, which I needed the Gentoo boot CD to reinstall, but left my other partitions well alone.

FYI: It was Windows XP PRO, and wasn't any kind of vendor copy.

Thanks guys! :D
Darth_Daver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloim wrote:
I'd recommend backing up your gentoo partitions, just in case.
My comp came with XP. At one point I had to re-install it. The installation program insisted that it had to reformat my HD before continuing. It did ask first, and it was a computer specific install procedure (HP Pavillion with a 'protected' restore partition == so it actually re-installed the 'protected' partition and then installed XP from there).

That is definitely a risk with a vendor's "disaster recovery" version of Windows. They assume you will want everything set back to a default, factory installation. Actually, it's just easier for them to assume that. There should be no problem using a generic, retail CD to do the installation of XP as long as you are careful about not modifying the wrong partitions (human error). A new Windows installation will definitely whack GRUB or LILO, if it loads from the MBR.

By the way, I have found that when loading a boot manager from the boot partition (/dev/hda2, for example) and making that partition active, Windows 2000 or XP will change the active partition to its own (/dev/hda1) whenever they are booted. This "feature" causes my preferred boot manager to become unavailable until I manually set the second partition to active again. Does anyone know how to get Windows to stop doing that?

Thanks...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: