View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakgwailo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Xfree and improving Reply with quote

Hi
I was thinking, the only thing that is really slowing down KDE (and I assume other DEs/WMs), is Xfree's drawing process. The main problem is when a window is moved around quickly, it lags. Sorry, this is the best way I can think of explaining it. So, I was wondering, does anyone want to get together and form a sourceforge project to look over Xrender (i am assuming this is where the problem lies), and try to get X to draw faster/more effeciently? Or would this project be a waste of time? Any suggestions ? Thanks!
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it would not be waste of time, you could join the xfreeteam andor just improve it and send them the improveness.
you can always download a 6-pack of time.
or better yet, downlaod 2 6packs of time, and you can waste some...

Get lost before you get shot.
quarus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: hardware acceleration (oepnGL) Reply with quote

Some month ago, i read an interview with one of the head programmers of the Xfree Project. And if i remember right, they plan to implement Open GL Acceleration (all windows are textures stored in the video ram ) into Xfree 5. That's the way Mac OS X does it, and it really speed things up ( and also provides nice things like alphblended windows etc. )
So if you are familiar with such things: contact the xfree Project !
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: hardware acceleration (oepnGL) Reply with quote

quarus wrote:
And if i remember right, they plan to implement Open GL Acceleration (all windows are textures stored in the video ram ) into Xfree 5.

There is a god!

This news has made me happier than I have any right to be - can you find that link?

-- Curious
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with Curious on this one - that would be undeniable proof of the existance of a benevolent supernatural being of some sort. The very thought is causing me to express entirely new bodily functions that I'm not quite comfortable with. Please find that link if you can.

My mind now boggles over how this will all work, and all the coolness that would result.
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hot damn!

Will this eliminate the whole "Xfree is an antiquated kudge holding back desktop linux!" complaint?
bakgwailo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: o_O Reply with quote

Niiiice.... I remember reading that Xfree 5 would have alpha bending, but I was not aware of the opengl support.. all i can do is drool ^_^. That beats my idea of making Xfree more client-based and organized instead of network-centric (at least for a desktop user it would be better). But, yes is there a link? Of course, im guessing Xfree 5 will be out in a few years :P
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little googleing found this:

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1294
quarus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the interview i read !
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: o_O Reply with quote

bakgwailo wrote:
That beats my idea of making Xfree more client-based and organized instead of network-centric (at least for a desktop user it would be better).

Note, I think this still needs to be done at some point. :-P If they modularise the heck out of it so that the network transparency part becomes the exception, not the rule, I'll be a happy man. Either that, or eventually something like DirectFB will eat them alive.

-- Curious
Pitr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lastest release is 4.2.1 (I assume that the current CVS branch will be 4.3)... 5.0 is far away, what do we do in the mean time, accept that X is crap at the moment or will we see more people flee to DirectFB (or some other X replacement project).. For the most of us that will probably mean crappy redrawing for sometime - I think I'll wait taking the good lords name in vain untill I actually see a working prototype..
maw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all we know, 5.0.0 might be the release after 4.3.0. I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we never see 4.5. After all, before 4.0.0 we only got to 3.3.6...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: