Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
installing gentoo from cd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
deech
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: installing gentoo from cd? Reply with quote

Since i don't have a very fast internet connection, but i've got friends that do :lol:, i wondered if it's possible to download all sources to a CD and install Gentoo from that CD?
I like the idea of compiling the sources on my own PC, but not if i've got to download them during install :?

Any tips, hints , did i miss some documentation that describes how to do this?

Thanx in advance,

deech
Back to top
bart
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Apr 2002
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: possible Reply with quote

Yes, that's possible. Put your elsewhere downloaded packages into /usr/portage/distfiles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 856
Location: Porto Alegre, BR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also just mount your CD somewhere and set the variable DISTDIR to point to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deech
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: let's see if i've got it right Reply with quote

Step 1.
Download iso's from http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/build/1.1a/
Download sources from progs.
Q: do i need to d/l the files from distfiles/ or from gentoo-sources/ ?

Step 2.
Install gentoo with the iso's using the install manual from the site

Step 3.
install other programs (i.e. KDE3, Kopete, Gnucash) using a cd with all the sources. Emerge will use the files on cd instead of downloading them.

Did i miss anything?

thanx,
dj
Back to top
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 856
Location: Porto Alegre, BR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: let's see if i've got it right Reply with quote

deech wrote:
Q: do i need to d/l the files from distfiles/ or from gentoo-sources/?

That's your choice, they are both the same. :)

deech wrote:
Step 3.
install other programs (i.e. KDE3, Kopete, Gnucash) using a cd with all the sources. Emerge will use the files on cd instead of downloading them.

Right. You might want to check the Portage Manual if you have problems setting it to use the files from the cd.
_________________
| www.gentoo.org | www.tldp.org | www.google.com |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deech
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: i'm getting there...some more questions tough Reply with quote

A few minor questions just to see if i've got this thing right...
Q1:
After installing gentoo from iso i want to install differtent apps like kde.
All the files i need are on a cd (downloaded from /gentoo/distfiles), so i don't need to download anything new, right?

Q2:
Portage tree = ebuilds needed to install software = /usr/portage/... ?

Q3:
Portage user manual says before installing software to update the portage tree. Is there a way to do this without having to establish an internet connection?

thanx again.....if this portage thing works like it says it does, then it's REALLY cool!

dj
Back to top
gschneider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 81
Location: Darmstadt, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm getting there...some more questions tough Reply with quote

deech wrote:

Q1:
After installing gentoo from iso i want to install differtent apps like kde.
All the files i need are on a cd (downloaded from /gentoo/distfiles), so i don't need to download anything new, right?

thats right
deech wrote:

Q2:
Portage tree = ebuilds needed to install software = /usr/portage/... ?

/usr/portage/distfiles
you can do it this way: mount -o bind /mnt/cdrom/packages /usr/portage/distfiles
deech wrote:

Q3:
Portage user manual says before installing software to update the portage tree. Is there a way to do this without having to establish an internet connection?

I think you don't really need it, it is just for getting the most recent packages. But I'm not sure, perhaps could anybody corretc me if I'm wrong?

Regards,
Gerald
_________________
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chadh
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Apr 2002
Posts: 137
Location: Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm getting there...some more questions tough Reply with quote

gschneider wrote:
deech wrote:

Q3:
Portage user manual says before installing software to update the portage tree. Is there a way to do this without having to establish an internet connection?

I think you don't really need it, it is just for getting the most recent packages. But I'm not sure, perhaps could anybody corretc me if I'm wrong?


You don't necessarily need to update the tree, but you do need some version of it, and there is not one on the CD (at least, not the last one that I looked at). It looks like snapshots of the portage tree are being captured in the snapshots directory on ibiblio now, though, so you can just snag one of those and unzip it to /usr/portage.
_________________
Chad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deech
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Apr 2002
Posts: 51
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: thanx, will try so! Reply with quote

Thanx for the tip....i haven't had the time to try gentoo yet, but i've got the cd's now, with all sources the sources from distfiles (just 6 cd's :wink: ) so i will start any day now....
I'll keep you guys posted on how i'm doing :lol:

greetz,
deech
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
salimma
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Apr 2002
Posts: 25
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: How'd you find all the sources... Reply with quote

Hi Deech,

I'm planning on doing something very similar (only that the 'friends' are my CS department at university), and was wondering about one thing:

How did you get the list of source files that you need to download? Since you said it took 6 CDs, I'd assume you did not actually manually go through each .emerge file and decipher what sources it uses.

I've been trying to find an answer to this for a few days with nothing to show for it so far. emerge does not seem (from the docs) to have an option to just 'dump source file list without any fancy header'.

Would be real interested in knowing how you did it (get the 6 CDs). And good luck with your install :)

Regards,
_________________
Michel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
salimma
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Apr 2002
Posts: 25
Location: York, UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How'd you find all the sources... Reply with quote

salimma wrote:

How did you get the list of source files that you need to download? Since you said it took 6 CDs, I'd assume you did not actually manually go through each .emerge file and decipher what sources it uses.


Nevermind that - www.ibiblio.org/gentoo :p. Uh, should have looked harder :p

Regards,

Michel
_________________
Michel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chadh
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Apr 2002
Posts: 137
Location: Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it took 6 CD's I would assume that was the entire contents of the distfiles directory on ibiblio. That is a lot more than you need. For instance, my entire /usr/portage/distfiles (with some duplicate tarballs) is just over 1GB.

As far as figuring out exactly which ones you need, that is a hard question to answer. If you want to get exactly the tarballs you want and not have to worry about downloading at all, then you need to take a snapshot of portage and get the corresponding tarballs. If you look around in the forums and mailing lists for installing without a network connection or installing with a modem, you will find lots of good hints.
_________________
Chad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deech
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Apr 2002
Posts: 51
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chadh wrote:
If it took 6 CD's I would assume that was the entire contents of the distfiles directory on ibiblio. That is a lot more than you need. For instance, my entire /usr/portage/distfiles (with some duplicate tarballs) is just over 1GB.

As far as figuring out exactly which ones you need, that is a hard question to answer.


That's the reason why i asked a friend of mine to download all the files. I know it's overkill, but this way i can install gentoo without needing any network connection, because i allready have all the files i need on 6 CD's :lol:

deech
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klieber
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 17 Apr 2002
Posts: 3657
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split last reply out to it's own topic thread. Locking this thread.
_________________
The problem with political jokes is that they get elected
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum