PORTAGE_BINHOST mirrors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amarookie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: PORTAGE_BINHOST mirrors Reply with quote

Well, I found the PORTAGE_BINHOST setting, but I can't find any suitable mirrors/servers.

Is there a list of mirrors that host binary GRP packages available?

Amarookie
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because currently there are no official GRP mirrors AFAIK. Also this feature isn't very tested because ... there are no mirrors :wink:
Fraggle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
No, because currently there are no official GRP mirrors AFAIK. Also this feature isn't very tested because ... there are no mirrors :wink:

Still the case?
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me 'd love to hear some updates on this aswell.

if I could somehow setup one myself.. easily that is, and maybe script something to compile packages on request or something, that'd be great too.

have a remote 233mhz, I'd love to get running.
EvilTwinSkippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: I've set up a mirror... Reply with quote

I was helping a cousin with his laptop build, but I thought I'd share.

At work All of my servers share a common distfiles and packages directory over NFS. I linked the packages directory to a spare webserver:

http://fornax.fi.edu/gentoo/packages/i686

All packages are compiled for a generic i686. I have to support both PII, PIII, and athlons. Support for generic i586 is coming soon (I have a K6 box at home.)

I've made a few editorial changes to portage, and added a few non-canonical packages. Those changes are inside of my portage_overlay, which is packed in http://fornax.fi.edu/gentoo/portage_overlay.tar.gz. The major difference is that I have unmasked tcl 8.4.5. A lot of my development work uses the latest TCL, so everything is linked against it.

A working makefile to exploit the system is at: http://fornax.fi.edu/gentoo/make.conf

Fornax also runs a "stuck in time" mirror of what portage looked like when the binaries where created. The make file directs gentoo to an rsync server running on fornax as well.

The distfiles directory fornax created in the process of building the system is at http://fornax.fi.edu/gentoo/distfiles

All of these binaries were built inside of a "virtual" server. It's a spare partition I chroot into to perform builds, but is otherwise unused and unconfigured. I regularly update my portage mirror and compile security updates.

The system does not use the ~x86 keyword. This is to keep everything pretty stable and boring, and it works well enough for everything from my Vaio laptop to my rackmount servers. (As I said, anything canonically bleeding edge I "un masked" in the portdir_overlay.)

Also available is what I like to call a "stage-4" tarball. A complete seed system ready to unpacked onto a fresh partition. It's not kept up to date, so be sure to emerge sync!

The tarball contains syslog-ng, and reiserfs pre-compiled, as well as a few other base packages I hate to forget when building a server.

How to use:
cd /mnt/gentoo
wget http://fornax.fi.edu/gentoo/builds/stage4-i686.tar.bz2
tar xfjs stage4-i686.tar.bz2
cp /etc/resolve.conf etc/
chroot /mnt/gentoo
cd /root
wget http://fornax.fi.edu/gentoo/make.conf
cp /root/make.conf /etc/make.conf
wget http://fornax.fi.edu/gentoo/portage_overlay.tar.gz
cd /usr/local/
tar xfz /root/portage_overlay.tar.gz

emerge sync
(Continue the gentoo install direction following completion of the stage-3 directions.)
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd also love info on the PORTAGE_BINHOST feature -G or -g from emerge.

i'd _really_like to be able to buid my own packages, but emerge -B will only build packages if all deps are met, so i can't emerge -uB world and get all updates built as binary. i also can't emerge -B gnome to build the gnome binaries.

the emerge -b feature actually installs the package in the local machine so that does me no good. i don't want to install the stuff that i build. i'd like to possibly install it later. i have two machines a athlon and an athlon xp, i'd like one to be a primary build/fileserver and build and hold all grp packages and all source files. i'd like it to build the grp packages for both machines (only diff is the arch). since i haven't found an easy way to do that, then this PORTAGE_BINHOST feature looks like a way for me to use someone elses binaries. ... i've heard that this is on the qt; hush hush for now. if that's the case though, why is a distributed and uptodate version of emerge/portage advertising this feature. that in and of itself is a bug IMO.
EvilTwinSkippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Hush Hush Reply with quote

mark_lybarger wrote:
i'd also love info on the PORTAGE_BINHOST feature -G or -g from emerge.

i'd _really_like to be able to buid my own packages, but emerge -B will only build packages if all deps are met, so i can't emerge -uB world and get all updates built as binary. i also can't emerge -B gnome to build the gnome binaries.

the emerge -b feature actually installs the package in the local machine so that does me no good. i don't want to install the stuff that i build. i'd like to possibly install it later. i have two machines a athlon and an athlon xp, i'd like one to be a primary build/fileserver and build and hold all grp packages and all source files. i'd like it to build the grp packages for both machines (only diff is the arch). since i haven't found an easy way to do that, then this PORTAGE_BINHOST feature looks like a way for me to use someone elses binaries. ... i've heard that this is on the qt; hush hush for now. if that's the case though, why is a distributed and uptodate version of emerge/portage advertising this feature. that in and of itself is a bug IMO.

<p>
Actually if the two are on the same network it would be simpler to just map the PKGDIR parameter in make.conf to an NFS volume shared by both computers.
<p>
Far from being "unsupported", ripping binaries is an integral part of Gentoo. It's just that every site will have a different set of binary dependencies. I personally burn everything with MySQL and KDE support. Other folks might be queer for Gnome or Postfix, or none-of-the-above. Since there is no way to reconcile the varying tastes of Gentoo users on the binary level, Gentoo itself focuses on packaging the source.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: