View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuzwuzza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did already know that. If you'll read my post you'll see that my problem is that the tree WON'T display. It gives me an error. I have since discovered that it is all sidepanels, not just the tree giving me errors.
bazmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jay Reply with quote

I can't help with the other things, but with #1, the icon problems, it has to do with gnome-core being removed. Those missing icons are in gnome-core, and it takes them with it when you unmerge it. I copies /usr/share/pixmaps before the unmerge and threw them back in. Or, emerging gnome2 after gnome1.4 is gone should work as well.[/quote]
ultimate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i try to emerge swafish i get the following message:

bash-2.05a# emerge -p sawfish

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating dependencies \
!!! Error: couldn't find match for >=x11-libs/rep-gtk-0.16 in x11-wm/sawfish-2.0

got any tips?
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sibn wrote:
Spider, that's really unfortunate. I had something else to say, but I'm sure it'd incite the ire of many a KDE fan. ;)

Not a big problem, The problem I have is with users who assume the ideology, "this will not save.." blah blah blah kde does this this this and this .... gnome does... *BAH* Is it too hard to get that I do this from a technical standpoint? enough rambling and on to the questions ; )

sibn wrote:

Why shouldn't I let nautilus draw the desktop? I know that doing that will hurt performance a bit, but it looks very pretty that way...

simply because its unnecessary and really quite vile in design to have icons on the desktop. you dont -use- the deskto, its not visible, so why store Icons on it? even worse, why store Icons you cant remove there?

I dont agree with Nautilus on this issue, when I write guides it kinda rubs off ;)
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nautilus in GNOME 2... Reply with quote

chuzwuzza wrote:

It seems I have the bug listed here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75635

---EDIT---
Hmm, it seems it's not just the tree sidepanel, it's all - the notes and history too. It's just because I only had the tree panel displayed before that I only got the tree error message
------------

I thought we had solved that with the new libtoolize patches *sigh* try to rebuild nautilus (again ;) and see if it persists, also, This would make a good bug-report to azarah@gentoo.org, our resident libtool hacker.
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay wrote:
1. Nautilus is not displaying all icons. Have a look at
this. Is there a workaround or are the icons not created yet?

sorry, but I dont see whats wrong here... icons are there, but I think you mean something else...

jay wrote:

2. In the GDM configurator I can change the themes for login but these don't take effect.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86264

jay wrote:

3. I cannot change the themes in Desktop-Preferences. I have Crux, Metal, Thinice but the themes won't change. Diid I forget to emerge/compile anything?

Old bug in libgnome. please re-emerge libgnome and it should be fixed, if not contact me in email and I'll see what we can do about it.

jay wrote:

4. gedit isn't using any ISO-8559-15 compliant fonts. I am not able to use the €uro-Symbol for example. But it seems to be aware of the locale settings, because it appears in the language of the locale setting. The translation however seems to be incomplete - about 30% of all menu entries are still ing english.

5. If you change the default application for certain file types and use non - default-apps yo have to log off and re-logon before the changes take effect!

Please file some bugs in http://bugzilla.gnome.org

jay wrote:

6. If you use xine for *.mov and *.qt file extensions and add the -p flag gnome2 is crashing and returns to the gdm logon screen.

This seems really odd, since I dont get xine to work, could you file a bug about it? Gentoo bug that is :)
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: TTF question Reply with quote

I dunno if this has already been asked, but this seems like the place. I have a bunch of TTf's installed in a directory, and XFree can read them properly, and they are available in xfontsel and Gimp 1.2. But when I try to access them using the Gnome2 font selector, all their names show up, but only some actually are rendered. Others just get rendered as some huge thick block text (they do actually get rendered and anti-aliased, but not they way they're supposed to). I've been able to get them all rendered properly before in Gnome 1.4 (and they are present and correct in Gimp 1.2). Any ideas?
sibn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider wrote:
simply because its unnecessary and really quite vile in design to have icons on the desktop. you dont -use- the deskto, its not visible, so why store Icons on it? even worse, why store Icons you cant remove there?

I dont agree with Nautilus on this issue, when I write guides it kinda rubs off ;)

I see. Well then, that would explain a lot. I would go ahead and disable it, except I have a habit of right clicking the desktop for new terminals (although I have a sawfish binding for M-C-t to do this, as well), changing the background (etc). Having the icons there is a quick bonus because it keeps my panel clear. Speaking of which, this raises a question I've never got a straight answer for:

The default Gnome panel (the one on the top with Applications, Actions...) seems to be quite unique. I can remove it, but I don't see any clear way to recreate it, or even better, move it to the bottom of the screen (just where I prefer it to be). Is there something really really special about this panel that keeps me from using it the way I want? :)

Edit: I forgot to point out that having icons on the desktop is not only good for making pretty screenshots, but also gives me the ability to quickly launch a few apps when I first login. Then the icons disappear completely, and I don't have to see them any more (although I do see a valid point for clearing that checkbox anyway). ;)
nemhain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I try to emerge gal2 this happens:

jade:../gal-api.sgml:164:4:E: node processing loop detected
jade:../gal-api.sgml:176:4:E: node processing loop detected
jade:../gal-api.sgml:186:4:E: node processing loop detected
jade:../gal-api.sgml:151:4:E: node processing loop detected
jade:../gal-api.sgml:159:4:E: node processing loop detected

These lines keeps on looping over and over and over again,
so emerge never finishes.

Any ideas?
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay wrote:

6. If you use xine for *.mov and *.qt file extensions and add the -p flag gnome2 is crashing and returns to the gdm logon screen.

Not here. I did a:
Code:
xine -p LotR-TwoTowers-Teaser.mov

in gnome2 and that worked fine.
Although I must say I don't use gdm, I just started it with startx.

btw, mplayer CVS plays (Sorenson) *.mov as well now.

Greets
kachaffeous
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: gdm 2 without gnome? Reply with quote

Spider,
Is it possible to use gdm 2 (gdmgreeter?) without the rest of gnome? I tried using the a USE=-gnome setting but still get all the gnome pkgs. I have rebuilt my machine several times trying out gnome2, kde etc. I always end back up using enlightenment though. I just want a nicer looking login screen (you can only do so much with xdm).

If that isn't possible are the gnome2 binaries available? Can I do a emerge -b gdm and just delete everything except for gdm?
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:

Not here. I did a:
Code:
xine -p LotR-TwoTowers-Teaser.mov

in gnome2 and that worked fine.
Although I must say I don't use gdm, I just started it with startx.

The problem is not in the terminal. It happens when you try to change the default apps in nautilus. Could you start "gnome-control-center" then Select "Advanced" > "file types and programs" > "Video" > "Quicktime movie" > "Edit" and set Default Action to custom and add /usr/bin/xine -p below? If it crashes too, I'll file this as a bug.

spider wrote:

Old bug in libgnome. please re-emerge libgnome and it should be fixed, if not contact me in email and I'll see what we can do about it.

Thanks, that did it!

I filed following gentoo bug: 4095 and @ gnome org: #86354 # 86504 regarding the gedit and gnome-panel issues.

spider wrote:
sorry, but I dont see whats wrong here... icons are there, but I think you mean something else...

nautilus replaces the missing icons with the standard icons (those with the gnome feet). These icons also miss in the Applications Gnome Panel menu. Will re-emerge gnome-core and see if they re-appear.

I emerged evolution , sylpheed, rhythmbox, jpilot -everything worked fine. Excellent job! gnome-pilot crashes several times during setup but finally I managed to get my palm now syncing with evolution. :-)

Looks like the genotoo users are the first to get their hands on Gnome2 :-)
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemhain wrote:
When I try to emerge gal2 this happens:

These lines keeps on looping over and over and over again,
so emerge never finishes.

Any ideas?
Confirmed. I'm getting exact the same message. I would suggest that you file a bug about this at bugzilla.gentoo.org. This also prevents gnumeric from emerging because it relies on gal2 as a dependency.
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sibn wrote:

The default Gnome panel (the one on the top with Applications, Actions...) seems to be quite unique. I can remove it, but I don't see any clear way to recreate it, or even better, move it to the bottom of the screen (just where I prefer it to be). Is there something really really special about this panel that keeps me from using it the way I want? :)

Yeah. :) defaults
you can simply create a new and add the same entries to it, then you get all the moving and so on that you want, but the initial panel is mean and stays where it is.
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: gdm 2 without gnome? Reply with quote

kachaffeous wrote:
Spider,
Is it possible to use gdm 2 (gdmgreeter?) without the rest of gnome? I tried using the a USE=-gnome setting but still get all the gnome pkgs. I have rebuilt my machine several times trying out gnome2, kde etc. I always end back up using enlightenment though. I just want a nicer looking login screen (you can only do so much with xdm).

If that isn't possible are the gnome2 binaries available? Can I do a emerge -b gdm and just delete everything except for gdm?

Well, you need the gnome libraries for it, so if you try to only emerge gdm you should get the minimum possible set (you can play with --nodepends if you want, configure will bail out...)
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay wrote:
nemhain wrote:

Confirmed. I'm getting exact the same message. I would suggest that you file a bug about this at bugzilla.gentoo.org. This also prevents gnumeric from emerging because it relies on gal2 as a dependency.

I have to say...
this works for me :/ I just re-emerged gal2 and no such error.
nemhain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the jade and gal2 problem:

I let the jade-looping continue for over 20 minutes (with 100% CPU-load on an Athlon 800), and finally it escaped the looping and gal2 compiling ended with success :)
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who run into stupid gnome-panel problems like me by removing the "minimizing" options for a floating or or small docked panel:
This will leave your panel unconfigureable, because there is no way to righ-click on the panel to get back to the options menu. This bug is known and will be hopefully fixed in the 2.0.1 release. In the meantime there is one workaround. Locate your cursor over the panel and press CTRL-F10 to open the options menu and enable the minimize buttons.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another gnome-panel problem.

If you try to update xchat it tries to drag gnome-panel 1.4 in. Is this a problem?

bash-2.05a# emerge -pu xchat

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild U ] media-libs/gdk-pixbuf-0.18.0-r1 to /
[ebuild U ] app-text/scrollkeeper-0.3.9-r1 to /
[ebuild U ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-1.4.1 to /
[ebuild U ] net-irc/xchat-1.8.9-r2 to /

bash-2.05a#
Buchu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome2 powerfull !!!
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: re: Another gnome-panel problem. Reply with quote

jay wrote:
If you try to update xchat it tries to drag gnome-panel 1.4 in. Is this a problem?

Nope. this is because xchat with Gnome support will build a panel applet.

jay wrote:

bash-2.05a# emerge -pu xchat

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild U ] media-libs/gdk-pixbuf-0.18.0-r1 to /
[ebuild U ] app-text/scrollkeeper-0.3.9-r1 to /
[ebuild U ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-1.4.1 to /
[ebuild U ] net-irc/xchat-1.8.9-r2 to /

export USE="-gnome" should solve this if you don't want it.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: gnome2 panels and menus Reply with quote

I have almost recreated with a lot of greif trying to figure out the (ahem) intuitive interface, the normal bottom menu bar. It seems that there is no way to add programs to the main program menu or rearrage them to my liking. I believe I read words to that effect in the help. The only way I have found so far is to add a shortcuts item or drawer item then create a loader item on the panel/configure it for the program then drag&drop it into the drawer/shortcut. I needed to because I emerged endeavour & nedit but they failed to put an entry in the main menu. I had to search for them and manually. I did notice that galeon and evolution emerge added themselves to the menu.

gedit has been unreliable for me, (even tried a re-emerge) half the time on startup it goes full screen with no window controls and I had to kill it from the file menu. Is this a known bug?
Endeavour is much faster than nautilus with more features even has an full archiver, nedit is working much better than gedit.
nemhain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen:

Enter "applications:///" in the Location field in Nautilus.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal user should be able to access this via the start-here icon on the desktop. But when you disable the support for nautilus to draw the desktop then you'll end up with a problem like this.
nemhain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to add more apps to the "Open with" function in nautilus (when u right click on a file)? It used to be possible in gnome 1.4, but I can't seem to find it now...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: