Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Using a USB mouse in Links2 (Framebuffer svgalib)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Using a USB mouse in Links2 (Framebuffer svgalib) Reply with quote

Hello!!! I'm happily typing to you from within the framebuffer console using Links2's Graphical mode. I have setup my gaming-sources kernel to run framebuffer on my Voodoo5 and I've sucessfully installed Links2. I have an MS USB intellimouse (5 buttons) installed as well, but It is not working yet. I'd like to know how i might enable it in the framebuffer or just specially for Links as that's all I really Need it for ATM
another less pressing question I have about Links is:
How might I enable 1024x768x16 (or ideally 1280x1024x16) mode with links? Currently, 800x600x16M32 is the largest mode to display correctly.

Thanks to all the contributors to the framebuffer HOWTO, it's really wicked!!!

peace.
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I've enabled all the right kernel configs, I've installed and configured gpm, and i've gotten the mouse working in X. all that remains is Links2.. for some reason it still doesn't use the mouse. The sursor is present in the centre, but does not respond to input of any kind from the mouse.
bzugda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I can help here 'cos It wasn't 'till I read your message I knew Links existed. Anyway, I just set the proper mouse stuff in "/etc/svgalib/libvga.config". The protocol prolly needs setting "imps2" for my logitech USB and the device is "/dev/input/mice". I also installed gpm to try it but I reckon it's not required/used by links2/svgalib. I think that's all there was to it for me and that was from a fresh install
bzugda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I switched off gpm and links failed, though the error implied it was a graphics problem. Does you mouse work in gpm? I know you said it was installed but I'm a programmer, I like to be sure of the obvious :) Check "/etc/conf.d/gpm" is set to the right device and restart the service. You should get a cursor on the console.
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful!!! thanks for helping me find that file (it's oh so difficult to pin down the right config files when you don't know them)
I got my mouse working, and tweaked some of the customized settings so that it's useable at 1024x768 (which i enabled by adding the proper refresh rates to libvga.config)
what settings do you use for your mouse to get the smoothest feel? so far my mouse is under control (not like it was the first time i got it wokring, jumping from corner to corner). I set the accelleration type form power to normal and that fixed it a little. but it's still a little bit off. i'll experiment some more and if i find something that works i'll post it (i have an Intellimouse optical, btw)
bzugda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not worried too much about how well it works. I'm impressed with the whole links2 framebuffer thing and it's proving very useful at the mo but normally I'd have a full KDE set up running. I'm currently working on a set top box type install so I just haven't bothered with installing the bells and whistles.
Regardless, yes I would be interested in seeing whatever other settings you implement for "a better user experience" :). I just haven't bothered looking myself 'cos it's not a priority to me.

One question, do you set the links resolution seperately from the general framebuffer config. Ie, I boot to a 1024x768 framebuffer and assumed links2 ran in the same resolution but now you mention it, I'm not so sure.
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i didn't change any resolution options in libvga.config excepting for the monitor rates. once i had set them up properly i was able to use higher resolutions in Links2 (-mode 1024x768x16M32 and 1280x1024x256)

and btw, just setting mouse_accell to off in libvga.config made all the difference =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: