Ebuilds with recursive permission management
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squee-D
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Ebuilds with recursive permission management Reply with quote

I headed down to a client site today to emerge Jabber. Admittedly they are on an old rsync (4 mths). Theyre on an expensive dialup, and at some point I'll bring their machine in here to grab the latest rsync and emerge world..

However, no reason that I should worry, i thought..

I emerge jabber, it builds, then the script goes off to set up ownerships. The script does a:
Code:

cd /usr/jabber_1.?  (some version number, i forget now)
chown -R jabber.jabber *

GULP! the build did not create the directory for some reason, nor did it check for a succesfull cd command. So what gets executed in my root directory? Yep,
Code:
chown -R jabber.jabber *

So a couple of thoughts. If you write an ebuild, specify the files to chown/chmod explicitly, or abort the script on a failed 'cd' .
If you are accepting an ebuild, maybe just do a cursory grep for chmods and chowns and check the ebuild does not perform a recursive permission change without safeguards. Perhaps this IS part of the process now, because the latest rsynced Jabber ebuild is a lot safer. But I thought I'd mention it.

Yours,
Rasheed Abdal-Aziz, (Squee-D)
www.simtrek.com
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew, that doesn't look nice. You might file a bug report on that.

A suggestion for your dialup issues. On the client machine, you can get a list of what packages it wants to upgrade to. Take that list where it is cheaper to download from, and download those tarballs and put them on CD. Then, take the CD to the client. There's a script(s) in Documentation, Tips & Tricks to help with that.
Squee-D
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion PJP, I will definitely look into it. I'm an avid gentoo user, but recently I joined a company working from a rural beach side town.. Great views, lousy internet :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: