View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Webpage Design Reply with quote

I am getting ready to start a webpage project, when I was overwhelmed with the pleathra of choices. I was just wondering what everyone thought the best one was? I want the page to be fairly interactive, but it dosent have to be all flash or something. I was looking at Java, Php, xml, html, there are sooooo many.

I do plan on putting a considerable amount of time on this page, so me having to learn a language is not the issue. Just want it to look good. I have a basic idea of the page layout and such, just want some info on what eveyones favorite web language is and why?

Thanks

--sonik
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use mostly html, as little javascript as possible and handle all the interactive stuff with perl - reason: i'm not a programmer and perl takes care of all the gory details... if u want to do modular pages take a look at html::mason (www.masonhq.com) of php... these are the most used an there is a lot of prebuild code - u dont have to reinvent the wheel again ;)
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever else you do, I would recommend structuring your pages with Cascading Style Sheets, especially linked CSS. That way, you can edit one file and the change will take effect across the entire site. It's quite powerful and often overlooked. The tutorial is great and it's pretty easy to learn.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronmon wrote:
Whatever else you do, I would recommend structuring your pages with Cascading Style Sheets, especially linked CSS. That way, you can edit one file and the change will take effect across the entire site. It's quite powerful and often overlooked. The tutorial is great and it's pretty easy to learn.

:oops: forgot that one - i use it almost without thinking meanwhile - it really saves a lot of work
SpoonMeiser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try and avoid Javascript and Flash. Flash is more often than not, unneccessary bloat on a web page. Javascript isn't supported on some of the more basic browsers.

Personally, I think that anything beyond HTML and CSS should be kept server-side if at all possible. You want the page to be able to be read by as many people as possible, so you don't want to depend on users having the correct plugins and compatable browsers.

I use CGI and Perl (ie. I write Perl programs that create webpages, if you don't know what CGI is). There's a basic tutorial at www.cgi101.com, but rather than pay for the remaining chapters once you've done with those, you can find any other information you need over at www.perldoc.com
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

few links of interest if you're just starting out:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html (outdated and aimed at windows users but good nonetheless)
http://www.richinstyle.com/ (few good tutorials on CSS and html)
http://www.bignosebird.com/ (cgi tutorials and free cgi scripts)
http://www.scriptarchive.com/ (more free cgi scripts)
http://www.webmonkey.com/ (good resource to learn php, sql, flash, etc.)
http://php.resourceindex.com/ (the motherload of php scripts)
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/ (same as above, cept for cgi)

that should be a good starting point for ya. i started with htmlgoodies about 5 or so years ago and i'm doing fairly well. i'm not an expert, but i get by.

check out http://www.kraylus.com/ - listed there are some sites my wife and i put together over the past couple years (the ones we're proud of and that still exist ;)) note: we use notepad, cutehtml, htmltools, and things like that. frontpage and dreamweaver (or any WYSIWYG editor) is frowned upon ;))

ryan
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Zope Webpage Design Reply with quote

sonikntails wrote:
I am getting ready to start a webpage project, when I was overwhelmed with the pleathra of choices. I was just wondering what everyone thought the best one was? I want the page to be fairly interactive, but it dosent have to be all flash or something. I was looking at Java, Php, xml, html, there are sooooo many.

I do plan on putting a considerable amount of time on this page, so me having to learn a language is not the issue. Just want it to look good. I have a basic idea of the page layout and such, just want some info on what eveyones favorite web language is and why?

Thanks

--sonik

Hi,

Just to add some more choices you might want to look at a web applicat server Zope and if you are interested in portals Plone which is based on Zope.

Currently only net-www/zope-2.6.0-r1 is in portage.

The current status of zope on gentoo:

A new zope ebuild submitted (that hopefully will support multiple instances of zope), also includes several zope Products: cmf, plone, zwiki, and squishdot.

Currently working on Zope database adapters for MySql and Postgresql.

Regards,

--Kutsuya
lghman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks to all of you! I decieded to use a mixture of php, html, and css. Maybe even some cgi?

thanks again

--drew
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonikntails wrote:
Wow thanks to all of you! I decieded to use a mixture of php, html, and css. Maybe even some cgi?

cgi (common gateway interface) is a interface for browser to serverside programs interaction. it can be used with almoust any programming language - running a php script for example is usually done through the cgi...
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: all you need to know Reply with quote

CSS and Perl my friend, CSS and Perl.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Zope Webpage Design Reply with quote

kutsuya wrote:

A new zope ebuild submitted (that hopefully will support multiple instances of zope), also includes several zope Products: cmf, plone, zwiki, and squishdot.

Nice. Will it work with Python-2.2.2 most of us have installed?
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reuarding zope:

i've come to find that zope doesn't serve pages well to people with msie 5.5. probably other versions too.

i know we're all linux users here, but if you're wanting your page to be viewed by the widest range of people possible, you would want to stay away from zope. stick with the tried and true.

ryan
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Zope Webpage Design Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
kutsuya wrote:

Nice. Will it work with Python-2.2.2 most of us have installed?

No, is the short answer.

There are rumors that zope will work under python-2.2 series, but it isn't supported by Zope Corp. So the zope-2.6.0.ebuild uses the recommended (and supported) python-2.1.3.

At this point they are arguing if zope-2.7 will use python-2.1.4(a planned release this month I hear) or python-2.2.2, I think. They haven't reached a final decisions as of this date.
Can O' Beans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://oswd.org/ has freely downloadable page styles. You could start with one of these, and/or just disect it & learn how they work.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Zope Webpage Design Reply with quote

kutsuya wrote:
At this point they are arguing if zope-2.7 will use python-2.1.4(a planned release this month I hear) or python-2.2.2, I think. They haven't reached a final decisions as of this date.

It will be a shame if Zope-2.7 won't support python-2.2.2.

I wonder why Zope doesn't have TILDA in keywords: it requires to downgrade one of the most critical packages in Gentoo - Python.
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Zope Webpage Design Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
it requires to downgrade one of the most critical packages in Gentoo - Python.

With Gentoo's SLOT tech, Gentoo doesn't have to downgrade python. On my machine python-2.1.3 _and_ python-2.2.2 can run at the same time.

Not to say that it's a great situation, but there is a work around.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Zope Webpage Design Reply with quote

kutsuya wrote:
With Gentoo's SLOT tech, Gentoo doesn't have to downgrade python. On my machine python-2.1.3 _and_ python-2.2.2 can run at the same time.

How did you install them together on the same time? On my box it wants to downgrade:

Code:

# emerge -p dev-lang/python/python-2.1.3-r1.ebuild

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    UD] dev-lang/python-2.1.3-r1 [2.2.2]

Also, does anyone know what packages will stop work (or will work with troubles) if I would downgrade Python to 2.1.3?

P.S. I remember the time when Zope was deployed with own Python. Is it possible to build it in a same way?
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Zope Webpage Design Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
kutsuya wrote:

How did you install them together on the same time? On my box it wants to downgrade:

Code:

# emerge -p dev-lang/python/python-2.1.3-r1.ebuild

[ebuild    UD] dev-lang/python-2.1.3-r1 [2.2.2]

Good point. It says the same thing here. I guess the thing to look at is that it also has a 'U'pgrade flag. Here is how to installed it:

Code:

kutsuya python # emerge =dev-lang/python-2.1.3 -p

[ebuild    UD] dev-lang/python-2.1.3 [2.2.2]

kutsuya python # emerge =dev-lang/python-2.1.3
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> dev-lang/python-2.1.3-r1 merged.

dev-lang/python
    selected: none
   protected: 2.2.2 2.1.3-r1
     omitted: none

The 'protected' area shows that I have both versions installed on the box. Do a few test:

Code:

kutsuya python # python -V
Python 2.2.2
kutsuya python # python2.2 -V
Python 2.2.2
kutsuya python # python2.1 -V
Python 2.1.3

So it shouldn't downgrade your python-2.2.2 to emerge zope. :D

Code:

# emerge zope -p

axxackall wrote:

P.S. I remember the time when Zope was deployed with own Python. Is it possible to build it in a same way?

That is the zope binary package. I hope I have shown that you don't need that.

Regards,

--Kutsuya
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
reuarding zope:

i've come to find that zope doesn't serve pages well to people with msie 5.5. probably other versions too.
ryan

Hi,

Which version of zope did you have this problem with? I did find that bug for zope-2.4. I'm curious if the problems with msie still exists in zope-2.6 series.

Thanks,

--Kutsuya
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just check and found that Portage requires Python >= 2.2.1 - so no Portage anymore after downgrading, what else?

From the other point I've fixed the ebuild and created the link python2->python2.1 and Zope has been compiled, installed and even started (with some warnings). Atlhough I wouldn't put such hack for the production system.

Now I am positive that Zope must be masked.
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Zope-2.6.0-r1 downgrades python? Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
I've just check and found that Portage requires Python >= 2.2.1 - so no Portage anymore after downgrading, what else?

From the other point I've fixed the ebuild and created the link python2->python2.1 and Zope has been compiled, installed and even started (with some warnings). Atlhough I wouldn't put such hack for the production system.

Now I am positive that Zope must be masked.

I think I'm pretty up to date, I have this portage:

Code:

kutsuya files # emerge portage -s
*  sys-apps/portage
      Latest version available: 2.0.46-r8
      Latest version installed: 2.0.46-r8
      Size of downloaded files: 152 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.gentoo.org
      Description: Portage ports system

Did you read message above(2 or 3) where I explain how Gentoo can have python-2.1.3 and python-2.2.2 merged at the same time(using SLOTs)?

Found in: man 5 ebuild

Quote:

SLOT
This sets the SLOT for packages that may need to co-exist. By
default you should set SLOT="0" unless you know what you are
doing and need to do otherwise. This value should NEVER be left
undefined.

I actually unmerged python-2.1.3 just to make sure I could put it back without damaging python-2.2.2. I didn't have a problem puting it back.

I admit I'm using the zope ebuild bug #13751 to build my zope...but at a glace the zope-2.6.0-r1 looked ok.

Ok. I just unmerged python-2.1.3-r1 and zope-2.6.0-r2. Now to emerge zope-2.6.0-r1 and see what happens.

Code:

kutsuya zope # emerge =net-www/zope-2.6.0-r1
>>> emerge (1 of 2) dev-lang/python-2.1.3-r1 to /
>>> md5 ;-) Python-2.1.3.tgz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking Python-2.1.3.tgz
>>> Source unpacked.

>>> dev-lang/python-2.1.3-r1 merged.

dev-lang/python
   protected: 2.2.2 2.1.3-r1         <---- # Just like we want.

>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

>>> emerge (2 of 2) net-www/zope-2.6.0-r1 to /
>>> md5 ;-) Zope-2.6.0-src.tgz
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking Zope-2.6.0-src.tgz
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> net-www/zope-2.6.0-r1 merged.

net-www/zope
   protected: 2.6.0-r1

>>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

>>> Auto-cleaning packages ...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
 * IMPORTANT: 2 config files in /etc need updating.
 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update conf

# # I did the update...and overwrote my old zope conf files.
# # Also edited /etc/conf.d/zope.   ZOPE_OPTS='-u root -D'
# # So I could see the debugging info.

kutsuya conf.d # ebuild /var/db/pkg/net-www/zope-2.6.0-r1/zope-2.6.0-r1.ebuild config
 * >>> Create inital user...
Username: myname
Password:
Verify password:

Please choose a format from:

SHA - SHA-1 hashed password (default)
CRYPT - UNIX-style crypt password
CLEARTEXT - no protection

Encoding:
Domain restrictions:

kutsuya conf.d # /etc/init.d/zope start
 * Starting zope...                                                                [ok]
------
2003-01-16T14:48:53 INFO(0) ZODB Opening database for mounting: '143720360_1042728179.111388'
------
2003-01-16T14:48:53 INFO(0) ZODB Mounted database '143720360_1042728179.111388' at /temp_folder
------
2003-01-16T14:48:53 INFO(0) ZServer HTTP server started at Thu Jan 16 14:48:53 2003
   Hostname: kutsuya.mydomain.com
   Port: 8080
------
2003-01-16T14:48:53 INFO(0) ZServer FTP server started at Thu Jan 16 14:48:53 2003
   Hostname: kutsuya.mydomain.com
   Port: 8021
------
2003-01-16T14:48:53 INFO(0) z2 Your umask of 022 may be too permissive; for the security of your Zope data, it is recommended you use 077

Ran mozilla with url: localhost:8080/manage. It ask for me to log in-- I did. It runs like would be expected.

The -D seemed to make /etc/init.d/zope start a fg task..so ctl-z and bg.

Code:

[1]+  Stopped                 /etc/init.d/zope start
kutsuya conf.d # bg
[1]+ /etc/init.d/zope start &
kutsuya conf.d # python2.1 -V
Python 2.1.3
kutsuya conf.d # python2.2 -V
Python 2.2.2
kutsuya conf.d # python2 -V
Python 2.2.2
kutsuya conf.d # python -V
Python 2.2.2

Are you positive you tried to emerge zope-2.6.0-r1? Can you show some examples of how it downgraded your box?

You are correct that zope-2.6.0-r1 is not production quality. Hopefully bug # 13751 will be.

Thanks,

--Kutsuya

edit: Forgot to add a subject.
divinerites
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
... snip ...
if you're wanting your page to be viewed by the widest range of people possible, you would want to stay away from zope.

Well, Zope generates ONLY what you makes him generate (HTML, XML, ASCII, Wap, javascript, ...) .

So i guess if it doesn't work with IE5.5, it's only because you are doing something not right somewhere ;-)
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, forgot to answer:

I confirm that Python is slotted and there is no problem with Zope and other Python-dependent programs. Sorry, I didn't understand slots in a first place.

Writing myself few ebuilds helped to understand many useful things :)

By the way, Zope-2.6.1 is great. I use it in a couple of weeks with my own ebuild. But now, with official ebuild it's even better - I can recommend it officially at my work.

Looking forward to see Zope-2.7. But really itching to see 3.0 :)
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
oops, forgot to answer:

I confirm that Python is slotted and there is no problem with Zope and other Python-dependent programs. Sorry, I didn't understand slots in a first place.

Writing myself few ebuilds helped to understand many useful things :)

By the way, Zope-2.6.1 is great. I use it in a couple of weeks with my own ebuild. But now, with official ebuild it's even better - I can recommend it officially at my work.

Looking forward to see Zope-2.7. But really itching to see 3.0 :)

I have just emerged the latest zope beuild and deployed a plone site, all seems very good. I'd prefer to have more control over my pages and come up with something unique but zope/plone make deploying and maintaing sites very easy (once your over the configuration).

One thing I'd really like to do is use some of my other pages within zope, maybe using an iframe or something? My main issue is I am using apace & mod_proxy, redirecting requests from 80 (apache) to 8080 (zope). In doing this none of my apache pages are visiable as all reqeusts ar forwarded on to zope.

This is my apache configuration:

Code:

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.martin.d2g.biz
ServerAlias martin.d2g.biz
ServerAdmin mallchin@blueyonder.co.uk
ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/martin.d2g.biz:80/mdbportal/VirtualHostRoot/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/martin.d2g.biz:80/mdbportal/VirtualHostRoot/
</VirtualHost>

If anyone has any suggestions for this I'd really appreciate it!

Update: I had some guidance here.

Last edited by mallchin on Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonikntails wrote:
--drew

Don't forget mySQL :) PHP and mysql go hand-in-hand, if you want database access. Most people refer to this type of setup as a "LAMP" system... Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.

Also, I usually setup a php template, and store all the page data in a database (where mysql comes into play.) This makes it pretty easy to edit the pages on your site via a web interface (which you would have to implement, of course,) espescially if you setup the page layout using css.. then your template might look something like:

index.php:
Code:
<html>
<body>
<span id="menu">
<?
  GetDataFromDB("menu");  // just an example, not a real function ;)
?>
</span>
<span id="content">
<?
  GetDataFromDB("welcome");  // not a real function ;)
?>
</span>

The advantage of this setup is that you have one file, a template if you will, which pulls data out of the database, rather than having <exaggeration>12 gazillion</exaggeration> html files.

If you don't want to do it using a database to store the data, just replace the above function calls with php include calls (having seperate html files for content.)

index.php:
Code:
<html>
<body>
<span id="menu">
<?
  include ( "menu.html" );
?>
</span>
<span id="content">
<?
  include ( "welcomeMessage.html" );
?>
</span>

You'd want to put in error correction to make sure the file existed of course.

Registered linux user #287718

Last edited by thorne on Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: