Linux On the Go
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Linux On the Go Reply with quote

Shameless plug...

I know there was some interest in a site similar to Linux-On-Laptops, so I created Linux On the Go, which I plan to update with submissions more regularly than the L-O-L.. If you have a site that you can submit go right ahead and I'll have it up real fast. :)

Let me know what you all think, the design is very basic and I'm not a graphics artist. But if any of you would like to help me with the site, give me a PM or email me.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Linux On the Go Reply with quote

oniq wrote:
If you have a site that you can submit go right ahead and I'll have it up real fast. :)

Been there, done that. 8)

About time somebody did something, too. I had seen your earlier post in the forums and was silently hoping it wouldn't be vaporware. Glad you made it happen, three cheers for an excellent start to 2003!

As an aside, do you have any information about the reasons why Linux on Laptops hasn't been updated since almost a year? There are so many broken links on that page it's become all but useless.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! nice site! I might have to use that and install on an old laptop i've scrounged.

Thanks man, keep up the good work! I'll post here with any gotchas and work-arounds i come accross!
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out your site, then Linux on Laptops; at first looking at the huge selection at LoL I wondered why you were making another site - that's when I saw the date of the last update: March 2002. So I see where you're coming from.

The look of the site is nice, but since most people who come to the site (at least once you have a substantial number of sites listed) will be wanting to get at the links to the various submitted pages, I think navigation would be easier if - wait, never mind, the search functionality is just as good as having direct links to start browsing the database.

As soon as I get something installed and working on my old Sony PCG-505TR, I'll write up a site and post it. For now, I'm getting unfinished job errors and ICEs when bootstrapping and compiling GCC, so it might be a while - I might even *gasp* use a different distro.

Another comment: instead of having links to distros, maybe you could put direct links to recently submitted pages in that space.

Anyway, great start; I'll be checking back periodically.
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:

Another comment: instead of having links to distros, maybe you could put direct links to recently submitted pages in that space.

Good idea, maybe not necessarily in that space but the white space below the 'news'.

Anyway, thanks for all the praise everyone! I tried contacting L-O-L and volunteering to keep his site up to date, but no one ever responded. I know its going to be tough before it spreads word of mouth, but hopefully it'll be able to surpass L-O-L. I plan on adding other things to the site not just a database with links, but articles explaining how to install Wireless cards, PCMCIA, USB, etc. So if you're in a writing mood you can email me at dominik@snet.net and I'll be more than happy to put your article up on the site.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering what happened to that idea ;) i too remember your original post so long ago. congrats and keep up the good work ;)

ryan
avendesora
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the old site isn't maintained, but still up, coudn't you do a quick recursive grab of their links, clear out the dead ones, and get a good head start for your project?
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mseigneurin wrote:
If the old site isn't maintained, but still up, coudn't you do a quick recursive grab of their links, clear out the dead ones, and get a good head start for your project?

I could, I suppose. I've contemplated doing that, but for some reason it would make me feel 'dirty'.. What do you all think about that? Do you think I should just grab that information from the dead site and transfer it over to LOG?
avendesora
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess it is kind of an ethical issue... and probably a copyright thing too: check out the source of the L-O-L homepage. Not sure the author would welcome a vast grab.
My suggestion was probably not a Good Idea
:oops:
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep nice one.
i'll my experience with my tosh 3110ct as soon as i have time to get something together......
cheers
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can obtain most of the links using google.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, LoL needs some very selective pilfering. Most of the links are dead, at least in the Sony section, that's the one I know best. It may be easier to start over yourself than to go through all the old material.

One list of links you should include is the one that derived from the Linux-Sony mailing list, right here. As a general rule, you're free to put them up, but you should contact the original authors so they at least get a chance to contact you if anything changes on their side.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mseigneurin wrote:
Well, I guess it is kind of an ethical issue... and probably a copyright thing too: check out the source of the L-O-L homepage. Not sure the author would welcome a vast grab.
My suggestion was probably not a Good Idea
:oops:
I don't think it's wrong or anything, but it wouldn't be particularly useful, as long as the LoL exists, since people can and are likely to be looking there. I do, however, think that instead of requiring submissions to come from authors themselves, you should let people submit any old site: that should increase the rate at which you gain sites. In addition, I think you should go out and search for laptop sites that aren't lited by LoL.

And just in case LoL disappears someday, you might want to store a copy of it somewhere: if LoL goes away, then putting up the links they had would not only be justified, but a great benefit to users.
henke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
Folks, LoL needs some very selective pilfering. Most of the links are dead, at least in the Sony section, that's the one I know best. It may be easier to start over yourself than to go through all the old material.

This is IMHO the main problem with LoL. It only contains links to information. When people change ISP, reorganize their site a LoL link dies and valuable information is lost.

Information that I once found usefull is gone :( (Mabey I can find it through the wayback machine...) There is no reason for this. The only time the information gets outdated is when the kernel revs and that is not very often.

oniq, couldn't you host the information yourself. That way nothing is lost. (If people don't use images it shouldn't take up thet much room right?)

oh and if people would put clear licenses on their stuff you wouldn't have the ethical problem of "stealing" the links...

Anyway, the site looks good. Nice initiative :) I'll write something up about an old Compaq Armada laptop.

I have just one layout suggestion. Could you make the "LinuxOnTheGo/Linux on mobile devices" a linke to the main page? As it is I can't get from the submit page to the main page. (Or mabey I'm bilnd ;) )
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken some of your ideas and either incorporated them into the site, or into my mind ;). Starting tomorrow I'll go gather some sites and start filling the database up with sites not listed on L-o-L. I'll more than likely contact the authors first...

Few changes...

1. Submissions can be from anyone, not just the author of the page. Changed the layout listing from Author->Submitter. :)
2. Main image (LinuxOntheGo/Linux On Mobile Devices Resource) is now a link to the main page. Although I did have a Home link that led back home, this'll make it easier.

Post your ideas and if I can code it and I think its a good one, I'll most likely add it.

Thank you all for your support.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oniq wrote:
Changed the layout listing from Author->Submitter.
I seriously doubt this is a good idea. Keep the submitters on record so you can contact them if need be, but the important information is the author of the page, not who told you about it... :)
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
oniq wrote:
Changed the layout listing from Author->Submitter.
I seriously doubt this is a good idea. Keep the submitters on record so you can contact them if need be, but the important information is the author of the page, not who told you about it... :)

Good point. Redoing it now.. :)
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a casual stroll over to mobilix.org, the German site that deals exclusively with Linux howtos for laptops and PDAs, and guess what: Werner Heuser was fed up with the lack of updates on LoL himself, so he created a small section of his own: http://mobilix.org/mylaptops.html. I quickly checked the Sony listing, and he does have a few I had never seen before.
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
I just had a casual stroll over to mobilix.org, the German site that deals exclusively with Linux howtos for laptops and PDAs, and guess what: Werner Heuser was fed up with the lack of updates on LoL himself, so he created a small section of his own: http://mobilix.org/mylaptops.html. I quickly checked the Sony listing, and he does have a few I had never seen before.

Yes, I went over the Mobilix.org, and I actually had a link to his site on my site. I emailed him and let him know about what I was trying to accomplish and he said there isn't a big enough community, or a big enough demand, for another site about linux on mobile devices. He seeemed to think that his and L-o-L were the only ones that are needed. I told him how L-o-L hasn't been updated in forever and he sort of went around that subject. Doesn't seem like a very nice person to me, I was going to exchange links and mention him all over my site as a good resource. But unfortunately, someone who isn't helpful to others, especially people who want to help others, isn't going to get my support. I think he wants his site to be the best. I don't want my site to be the best, I want my site to be resourceful. He can have his orange and green site with his broken links...

On a side note, I've been updating the site a little with some devices here and there, and will continue to do it throughout the coming months to have the site at full capacity. Websites that have been updated recently (within, say, the last year), I've emailed rather than just submitted their sites and many people just say "Yeah, L-o-L is so outdated, you can go ahead and submit my site." Google is my friend... so many sites that aren't on either L-o-L or Mobilix, people that didn't know about them possibly, but should still have their websites recognized so others can gain information from them.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy old guru, huh? Reminds me that I need to brush up my Linux skills so I can become a grouch, too. :) But you should cut him some slack, he's going through difficult times. That ludicrous Obelix vs. Mobilix legal claim is still hovering dangerously above his head, I believe.

Never mind, I'd just list his individual pages like all the other links. The ones he writes himself are pretty good, very concise and to the point. I haven't tried his little shell script for writing reports yet, but I believe a template like that may be very helpful.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone tried to install Gentoo on Plam Pilot PDA. Anyone?
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be a good idea to have the pages actually hosted on your server. I know this creates the not bein gupdated issue but at least there would be no more broken links and users could look forward to haveing the same layout for each page ect... maybe some kind of user space with fill in the blank temolates ect ... i dunno would be some work but i think it would make the information much easier to find especially if you decide not to run it anymnore maybe someone else could just take over a central location to me would be ideal even if the posters dont update the pages much or ever. i see too often even thier own hosted pages never get updated.

just my 2 cent
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I'd like to say I like this effort, and commend you for it. Once I get Gentoo up on my HP xf328 I'll be posting there. If you need any images for the site, such as section headers, contact me, as I've been known to do some graphic design from time to time ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: