Gentoo on Mobile Pentium 266 Laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satyrinox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on Mobile Pentium 266 Laptop Reply with quote

Can this be done ?
I have tried and tried to get my laptop to recognize the LiveCD
is there any livecd's for laptops , i would really like to have each and every one of my pc's including this laptop , Running Gentoo Linux!!!
im freaking out here trying to get it to recognize and start , but to no avail ,
So to anyone out there "HELP Me Please"
Rofl

:twisted:
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200
Leadtek Mobo]
<same config for 2 years now ;-) >
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're no LiveCDs for laptops as far as I know... Maybe check if you have 'boot from CD' option enabled in your BIOS. Obvious, but good to check...
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to boot to a 2.6 kernel with "nodma" to get my Latitude CPi-D300XT to boot the live CD. Trying to turn on DMA with hdparm during the installation causes it to lock up. After I reboot to my own kernel dma/hdparm works fine. Not a speed demon, but it works.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly not much help but you can get notebook to ide addapters for about £5 and plug it into your desktop, then install using a fast cpu but the flags for the laptop and then build the kernel and boot it and bingo gentoo on your laptop
dfannin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: my expereince on Dell Latitude Penitum 200MMX laptop Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo 2004.3 using the LiveCD on a Dell Latitude P 200MMX laptop (~1996). It went pretty well.

Here are some tips:

Use the x86 version of the LiveCD

boot up using the gentoo kernel with pcmcia and turn off dma for the cdrom:

boot: gentoo dopcmcia ide=nodma

I installed using the GRP packages - again, no major issues.

Make sure you add "dopcmcia" to your bootloader prior to rebooting to the installed system. You won't need the "nodma" option, but make sure that you turn off dma for your cdrom by editing the /etc/conf.d/hdparm .
take out the option "-d1" for all_args. you can set this for individual devices by using the hdx_args or cdromx_args settings.

I have gentoo running with a 2.6 kernel, gensplash, and the rest in about 3-4 hours by using the package cd with precompiled files. Very cool, considering time it would take to compile.
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: my expereince on Dell Latitude Penitum 200MMX laptop Reply with quote

dfannin wrote:
I just installed Gentoo 2004.3 using the LiveCD on a Dell Latitude P 200MMX laptop (~1996). It went pretty well.

Here are some tips:

Use the x86 version of the LiveCD

boot up using the gentoo kernel with pcmcia and turn off dma for the cdrom:

boot: gentoo dopcmcia ide=nodma

I installed using the GRP packages - again, no major issues.

Make sure you add "dopcmcia" to your bootloader prior to rebooting to the installed system. You won't need the "nodma" option, but make sure that you turn off dma for your cdrom by editing the /etc/conf.d/hdparm .
take out the option "-d1" for all_args. you can set this for individual devices by using the hdx_args or cdromx_args settings.

I have gentoo running with a 2.6 kernel, gensplash, and the rest in about 3-4 hours by using the package cd with precompiled files. Very cool, considering time it would take to compile.

Took 4 days for mine. Stage1, X, firefox, thunderbird, and openoffice.
I bought 256MB of EDO for it just so it would be more comfortable. The ram alone costs more than the entire machine with 128MB on Ebay.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
dfannin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: more laptop updates Reply with quote

One additional note:

I found that the xorg GRP package installs, but doesn't run.

It appears that some packages may have been compiled for i686 machines, even though I had used the x86 package. It will fail with an illegal instruction error. Don't know exactly what happended, but a recompile over several days should fix. apache2, php, and other packages appeared to install and work correctly.

I only have 4GB of disk space and 128M of memory, so I hope it doesn't melt down.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: