XINE Video Playback
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris4amd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: XINE Video Playback Reply with quote

This is related to my other post (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=25065), but my question is this:

Video playback, avi, mpeg, divx, etc. is fine and dandy with Xine -- no problems at all. But when playing DVDs I get weird horizontal lines around the areas of movement onscreen in the movie.

I have all DVD plugins installed for Xine, I have a monitor capable of 1152x864 @ 75hz, and a GeForce4 Ti4600 (and Nvidia's drivers installed). Is my issue a refresh rate problem? Or????

I am dying to watch some new DVDs I just bought, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Kawada
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what you are describing is the interlacing effect. I won't go into detail about what causes it, I'll just tell you how to fix it. Open up the xine setup menu, and look under the video tab. If you scroll down some, there sould be an option to select a deinterlace method. There are several to choose from, so you might want to experiment and find which one works best (I personally use linearblend). Then while you are watching a DVD, you can use the I key to toggle the deinterlacer between on/off. Basically, non-interlaced DVDs will look better with it off, but interlaced DVDs need to have the deinterlacer activated, otherwise you get that horizontal linear effect.

2002 Nethack Tournament -- 317th runner-up http://nethack.devnull.net/
KidE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having the same problem but then with all of my movies. They show all a kind of horizontal lines. It looks like the that the movie is quicker than my display (but that definitly not the case 8) )
I have this problem using xine but also wiith mplayer. i tryed to tweak my nvidia all that ways u can emagine but no effect. I used tha stable nvidia kernel and GLX drivers.
jetblack
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KidE wrote:
i'm having the same problem but then with all of my movies. They show all a kind of horizontal lines. It looks like the that the movie is quicker than my display (but that definitly not the case 8) )
I have this problem using xine but also wiith mplayer. i tryed to tweak my nvidia all that ways u can emagine but no effect. I used tha stable nvidia kernel and GLX drivers.

It's the same issue in both, deinterlacing - as Kawada explained. You can invoke mplayer with "-vop pp=lb" to use the linearblend deinterlace method. There are other methods as well, but I agree with Kawada, linearblend has always worked well for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: