Is the Sharp Zaurus any good?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying_monkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Is the Sharp Zaurus any good? Reply with quote

I've lately become enamored of the Zaurus. I searched the forums for mentions of it, and found several things about USB problems, and a few "Zaurus rocks!" comments. If some of you guys who have experience with them would give me some details of how well it really works, what use you make of it, how easy it is to interface with Linux (and Windows as well, I have to use that at work), and anything else on this subject, I'd appreciate it.

TIA,
Ed
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo kernel 2.4.19-r7 or so was the first one to contain the usbdnet modules you need for setting up a network connection to the Zaurus, but ever since then I haven't heard so much as a single complaint. If in doubt, there are two addresses you want to pester with questions: The Zaurus General mailing list, and (slightly more esoteric, since we deal mostly with issues like getting English menus onto Japanese models) the Zaurus Otaku Kurabu. However, I do suggest you wait for the SL-C700 to hit the market later this month, dynamism.com is reported to bring it to the US in spite of Sharp pushing it only in Japan as of now.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how ironic that they don't even mention linux as a host operating system! :evil:

it's only windows

I have been following the zaurus for a while.. this one looks good :)
flying_monkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, folks. And plate, I had seen something about the SL-C700 on some web site, and had indeed thought that that would be the one to get. But dynamism's price is up there. Have to think on that one.

Ed
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, you may have heard it here first. Gentoo Forums, catering to all your needs... 8)

I do agree the C700 is rather expensive, but it's still this side of an iPaq, isn't it?
Rutnut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: I think Zaurus is good. Reply with quote

I have the Zaurus SL-C3000 and af first glance it is stunning and very well built. As it is my very first PDA I am very happy with it.

You mentioned USB problems, I've had none.
I installed the software Intellisync for Zaurus English version, the Zaurus connected forst time with my laptop that's using Win 2000.

The Infrared works like a dream once I installed the Windows software, Zaurus first time everytime.

Installing IPK packages has proved faultless and uninstalling the same.

I'm new to PDA's, I have a background with Windows Networks so connecting it to my home network system was surprising blissful.
I am very happy with the Zaurus.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: