View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: freeBSD Reply with quote

anyone using freebsd...just curious i am installing it on to anther box right now....it's installing via ftp ......but it looks like its gonan take a while....i choose the full blown all install since i have never even seen it before.
kerframil
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: FreeBSD Reply with quote

This isn't really the right place for the posting is it?! Yes, I have a FreeBSD box. I also have OpenBSD on my custom firewall using the awesome IPFilter (it's worked 24/7 from the day I turned it on). This is a Linux forum so I daren't tell you how much I like it! :lol: Of course, Gentoo Linux was the natural Linux choice for a BSD user. Because FreeBSD has been around for longer, you'll find the ports selection very extensive. If you install with packages you'll only get i386 pre-compiled binaries.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i just formatted the install and am going to do it again...i like it though ...i love my gentoo setup....its all configured pretty much now and much like anything thats kinda done...mmm...its done...lol..anyway freeBSD seemed very fast for the lil time i played...but wanted to try something different and add more hardware and reinstall....anyway...is there a way to compile the system to take advantage of an amd 2000xp...so like are there i686 binary pkgs or can bsd be compiled like gentoo?

ciao
kerframil
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: packages Reply with quote

Quote:
are there i686 binary pkgs

No, it's not conventional with *BSD. Not to say it can't be done (you can build your own of course) but I doubt you'll find any. In my experience even i386 packages on *BSD are faster than severely optimised binaries on Linux. In any case, I don't recommend using packages because they don't get maintained much. As soon as bugs are found in BSD ports, it gets checked in to the CVS source tree (-stable which is latest stable code, and -release which is more stable and not quite so cutting edge). But the packages probably won't be updated that quickly (at least not before the next official CD release). So it's only really there for people with limited Internet access. The best way to install it is simple. Select no packages whatsoever. Then install everything via ports system (go to port folder then make && make install - not so different :wink: ). Compile your kernel first though - it's a little trickier at first for those used to Linux kernel compile but once you get used to it it's cool. Some interesting options and yes, you can optimise for i686. There are some other things however which are not obvious at first, and it pays to get them out of the way before getting in too deep. I know a few excellent BSD help sites too ... I'll post these tips tomorrow if you want. And yes, there is a way to optimise your gcc flags I think. If I recall correctly you can recompile the system core which is classified entirely separately from userspace/3rd party apps ... a good thing.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks....i was reading the install guide on the freebsd site and kinda came to the same conclusion...that is to just install ports and go from there....i am sure this will take me a while but it looks pretty cool.

ciao

edit:....just out of curiousity have you ever configured freebsd using vinum software raid?...this box that i have for bsd has 4 seagate x15 cheetahs i would like to have the root on a raid 0....or maybe raid 5...i was reading though that the raid 5 has a pretty high cpu overhead...but it wasnt specific.
fsck_ms
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got freebsd kicking around just incase I do something incredibly stupid to my gentoo install. I had played around with it a bit before, but never understood the ports system until after I got comfortable with gentoo and portage. It's nice, but I just don't like it as much for a desktop machine.
digitalnick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbsd rocks the donkeys ass

i have a amd k6-2 500 with 16 meg ram and a 4 gig HD and it runs like a queen as my server. I find it fast and flexible and thier ports tree is awesome. the core beingseperated from the resto f what you install IMHO is the way to go i have been rallying for an option to set so all the things we emerge can go into /usr/local or whatever you want as opposed to /usr/bin yeuck anywho thats a whole nother topic just wanted to express my love and roots in fbsd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: