midi (guitarpro3) through wine/winex
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: midi (guitarpro3) through wine/winex Reply with quote

ive been trying for a few days to get Guitar pro 3 to work through winex...
first off, heres what the prog is:)
basically a guitar tabbing program, that can play the song in midi-realtime so you can play along and check if the rhythm is right etc(kinda like a karaoke i guess hehe)

problem is, when i winex it, i hear the 'splash' midi(a little guitar intro everytime you load the prog), but afterwards, when i press the play button etc i dont get any sound output...i looked at a few logs to see if it was a soundcard driver conflict or something, but couldnt find much

any ideas?
on a sidenote, does vmware have good sound support? id emerge it if i can be assured sound works nicely with it
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just tried with 'regular' wine...didnt work more
tested with vmware, and it turns out the sound support sucks in it, cause its emulated(and im on a p3 450...very skippy sound(if you can cfall that sound))

so...has anyone gotten it to work?
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little update...found a prog that can support guitarpro3 tabs format apparantly, its called kguitar
couldnt find an ebuild for it, so i tried compiling by hand...lo and behold, its not working! :roll:
getting errors when i try to compile it, cant see anything relevant in the errors either...any chance of seeing an ebuild for those soon anyway?:)
passepoil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Hmm... Reply with quote

Perhaps if you posted some of the errors we could help you ?
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah just trying the cvs one first :) (sti de vieu pc qui prend des jours a compiler une tite affaire:P
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah! the cvs one worked :)
now its bitching that dcopserver or something isnt running...gonna look into it though:)

its meant to be a kde apps and im in enlightenment so that might be the prob hehehe heres the error on startup:

Code:
freezer@Beast bin $ ./kguitar
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
---------------------------------
It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove /home/freezer/.DCOPserver_Beast__0
and start dcopserver again.
---------------------------------

ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!

FATAL: DCOP communication problem!
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
ICE Connection rejected!

ICE Connection rejected!

ICE Connection rejected!

FATAL: DCOP communication problem!
KGuitarPart::KGuitarPart()
MIDI Scheduler created
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (-0.700000)
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (-1.400000)
SongView::playSong
SongView::stopPlay
KGuitarShell::slotQuit()
KGuitarShell::~KGuitarShell()
KGuitarPart::~KGuitarPart()
KGuitarPart::saveOptions()
KGuitarPart::saveOptions() => all things saved...
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kguitar works, except that theres not the support i expected for .gp3 files, so im back to start

so...anyone got gp3 running in gentoo yet then?
chrish01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to get guitar pro 3 working abot a year ago, and i got it to start and all that, but sound and redrawing the screen worked very poorly.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried running MIDI apps with wine (mainly sibelius), I found that it didn't work at all. I can't do it now (as my sound card has no MIDI synth, and timidity doesn't want to be a server for me), but I remember that Wine/Winex's support for MIDI was very poor. Almost a lost cause!

I don't know whats changed lately, but are you sure the sound playing on the splash screen is a MIDI file? It could just be a WAV file, which would explain why it works. I Too am interested in a decent guitar/tab/midi program for linux, so I'll start scratching around for a program for us.

I'll keep you up to date!
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im...still...trying...to...make...it...work :(
any news on your side?
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i bump thee once again...anyone? :/
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
When I tried running MIDI apps with wine (mainly sibelius), I found that it didn't work at all. I can't do it now (as my sound card has no MIDI synth, and timidity doesn't want to be a server for me), but I remember that Wine/Winex's support for MIDI was very poor.

I'm very interested in getting Wine working with MIDI, as I have a couple of bits of MIDI hardware with Windows-only editors. I understand that Wine does have quite usable OSS MIDI support, but currently although there is ALSA support now in Wine, it doesn't handle MIDI at all. (To use Wine's ALSA driver, change 'wineoss.drv' to 'winealsa.drv' in ~/.wine/config.) Neither have I had any real success getting Wine MIDI working with ALSA's OSS emulation, although that may be down to my esoteric card configuration.

(Card 0, my on-board i810 sound, doesn't support any MIDI to the best of my knowledge, so card 1 is the snd-serial driver, and card 2 is the vir-midi patch bay. It appears that when Wine using ALSA-OSS emulation sees that card 0 doesn't support any MIDI, it gives up and doesn't look to the other cards. If I swap the order of the cards it is even worse, because it thinks there is no PCM sound.)

It seems that Jeff Smith has done some work on integrating MIDI support into Wine's ALSA driver, but I don't know how far this has got. Here is the interview mentioned in the previous link, mentioning that there is no MIDI support. (6 May 2003.)

I would have thought it would not be a big project, and even wondered if I could sort it out myself - I'm very experienced in C programming, but I know nothing of the architecture of either Wine or ALSA, so there'd be a steep and time-consuming learning-curve to surmount.

As for on-board MIDI synthesis, I would have thought that once Wine's ALSA support is finished it would be easy to configure Timidity as the synth.
pontifikas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been quite a long time and I hope you are still on this.
I managed this night to run gp4 on Gentoo.
I use gp4 with the latest patch.
This was done via timidity++
This is actually emulating midi sound to wave.
I emerged timidity++
Code:
emerge timidity++ timidity-eawpatches

and then I run

Code:
/usr/bin/timidity -iAqqq -B2,8 -Os1S

I found this command from a user(may he be blessed for all eternity) in this forum, reffering on how to make midi work on Kguitar(a KDE guitar tabbing proggram I cant find in my portage :? ) , but the details of the problem where exactly the same with gp4 on wine.So i gave it a try and :D :D :D .

The command opens 2 midi ports.If you open gp4 and go to Options->MidiSetUp you will find
them in the "Device" scroll menu.Choose one of two and ........ Rock your house to its foundations :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The sound,when it comes to guitar, is not the best in town but I do thing that all other instruments sound better than windblows.
Be content that it worked and you dont have to switch to windblows.After all this is a sound emulation :wink: .
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, ill try that (timidity's compiling right now:)
as for kguitar btw, ive tried it and it's nothing special...it didnt seem to support gp tabs as advertised, and the rest seemed rough around the edges

hm and which wine are you using? with winex3 it doesnt even load anymore
pontifikas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some things I forgot to tell you and realized today.
First of all ,you need to have the snd-seq-oss module loaded.So in your
/etc/modules.autoload/kernel 2.x.x(which is yours)
add
Code:
snd-seq-oss

so you dont have to run modprobe every time you login.

Then go to your config file in .wine and make sure that "wineoss.drv" is uncommended in the
WinMM section.This is the default value but maybe you have changed it.
I run alsa version 9.8(experemental but the only one with surround compatibility) and I have oss emulation Built as module in my kernel(version 2.4)

I run wine under version 20031016.Not winex.Maybe you shoud also consider emerging wine20031016.I configured it using winesetuptk.It configured my wine almost perfectly except the True type fonts directory which I added myself to the config file.
If you dont have it, emerge it
Code:
emerge winesetuptk

It whould be a good idea to download and run the "winecheck" utillity to determine the percentage of your wine functionality.After running "winesetuptk" and modprobing snd-seq-oss my functionallity was(is) 100%.Refer to wine documendation page for this utillity.

I also have wine set up independently(not using my existing windblows partition).Remember I use gp4 with a patch for version 4.06.Before installing the patch I couldn't see the fretboard.Now I can but the GUI seems somehow broken but not distorted.So it is Ok.

I hope I helped you.Write any problem that may arise.I'll be around. :wink:
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a VERY old post.... but I have the same issue. Heres whats going on for me.

Problem #1
Guitar pro installs only with cedega, but runs only with wine. So I am running GP4.exe in a cedega c_drive through normal wine.

Problem #2
My midi in guitar pro. I got timidity but when I do this:
Code:

bash-2.05b$ /usr/bin/timidity -iAqqq -B2,8 -Os1s

I get this:
Code:

current/timidity.cfg: No such file or directory
timidity: Can't read any configuration file.
Please check /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg

Heres my timidity.cfg file:
Code:

dir /usr/share/timidity
dir ~/.timidity
source current/timidity.cfg

How do I get this working?
codectified
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is a REALLY old thread but i am having a similar problem... i cant even get GP4 to install using wine... here is what happens

Code:
wine /mnt/HDD/random\ down/guitarpro/setup.exe
err:msi:MsiGetSummaryInformationW IStorage -> IPropertySetStorage failed
err:msi:MsiGetSummaryInformationW IStorage -> IPropertySetStorage failed
err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [0x10026] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
err:ver:GetFileVersionInfoW Cannot access NE resource in L"C:\\Program Files\\Guitar Pro 4\\Mxmidi16.dll"
err:menubuilder:WinMain failed to build menu item for C:\windows\profiles\omes\Start Menu\Programs\Guitar Pro 4\Uninstall Guitar Pro 4.lnk
err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to extract icon.

if you guys could help me i would be VERY grateful 8O
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codectified wrote:
i know this is a REALLY old thread but i am having a similar problem... i cant even get GP4 to install using wine... here is what happens

if you guys could help me i would be VERY grateful 8O

Does it crash and the "Windows Installer" part?
djib
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I'm a newbie with Gentoo (I started the installation on moday evening and haven't finished yet !) and also I am new on this forum.

Hello world !!! :D

I read what you wrote about timidity and installed it. It says when you emerge timidity that it creates an entry in /etc/init.d/.
I added it to my startup script (rc-update -add timidity default).
If you have a look at /etc/conf.d/timidity, you will see it contains exactly the line to enable the midi as you said... so no need to remember it !
gusmao
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if that is the case, but maybe this tip can help some of you guys out there.

If you type pmidi -l, it should list the ports that your timidity server is listening to. In case there is none, you probably haven't started the server as it should.
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, timidity can't play anything without any GUS patches or Soundfonts (and those must then be configured properly)

after emerging timidity, emerge the timidity-eawpatches. this will give you the proper patches and a general GM/GS (and decent XG) playback configuration. You can also configure it to load soundfonts on top of that.

If you just want to load a very specific soundfont for guitar or a specific instrument(ie. you're not worried about GM), maybe you should try out fluidsynth in place of timidity.

And for the sake of your own sanity, quit using windows sound apps.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
djib
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I agree with you FishB8, but Kguitar is not that good yet !
I will try fluidsynth. Can it be installed with timidity ? I mean can you have both on your computer ?
Also, how to have midi with arts ? I only have midi with alsa !
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree with you FishB8, but Kguitar is not that good yet !

Then I would really recommend using GuitarPro under windows.

Fluidsynth and Timidity can both be installed at the same time. They're just engines that load sound banks. All you have to do is specify which you which to connect to. If you prefer to use Gigasampler soundbanks instead of GUS or SoundFonts, you might want to check out Qsampler. http://www.linuxsampler.org/

I would turn off arts. It's an ugly mess. Arts is just something that goes between an app and the alsa sound-sink so that multiple sounds can play at once. You can get the same functionality though by just using the dmix plugin within alsa. All apps that use arts support alsa or gstreamer anyway, so you don't loose anything by shutting it off.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
ioannis.th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to share my experience with that.

1) Powertab didn't run on the Gentoo-stable version of wine. Had to install ~x86 latest version
2) It also needed the InstMsiA.exe (Windows Installer), found here http://download.microsoft.com/download/WindowsInstaller/Install/2.0/W9XMe/EN-US/InstMsiA.exe
So, you type wine InstMsiA.exe

3) Wine needed MSVCIRT.DLL into its drive_c/windows/system which was found in my /mnt/winxp/windows/system32/ folder as "msvcrt20.dll" (I renamed it, later I found out that I also had a msvcirt.dll in the same folder but since what I did worked, I don't complain) Don't ask me why 8O

4) Sure enough, midi wouldn't work by default. I ran winecfg and selected ALSA @sound drivers. Voila, without having anything else to configure in WINE midi worked. Please note that I have already configured midi to be working in linux and I have a SBLive! soundcard which has a hardware synthesizer.

The only problems I still have is that I don't like the sound, but I suspect it 's my soundcard, which needs to have some soundfonts on it.

Also, if you want to try GP4 files, (Guitar Pro) there is an app in java called Dguitar which I haven't tried yet

Hope that helps!
tretre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: try tuxmachine Reply with quote

for the one out there wasting time trying dguitar / guitar pro+wine try out tuxguitar it reads all the file format of guitar pro and works with timidity as well
ROCK IN
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: