View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Chain Thread Offramp Reply with quote

This is for stuff related to the chain thread that you want to post but don't want to break the chain for.

Rac's post made this image pop into my head:

[img:0153b82556]http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~alana/misc/rac.png[/img:0153b82556]

I'm sure any avid photoshopper can tell you how Memento has become something of an institution. :-P

-- Curious
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now only if I looked anywhere near as good as Guy Pearce, we would be in business. :D

Off and on for many years now, I have had the habit of carrying top-wired (write left handed, so left-wired is out) notebooks in my shirt pocket. After that movie came out, people took to calling me Memento, for a while.

I wanted to take a moment to rejoice that whoever is in charge of such things in the USA has finally seen that the asinine questions asked of airline passengers checking in are in fact asinine, and they are no longer being asked. For those unfamiliar, they used to ask "did you pack your bags yourself?" and "has anyone unknown to you asked you to carry anything on board for them today?" How many people actually answered "why yes, this wild-eyed gentleman asked me to deliver this oversized alarm clock to his brother-in-law"?
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an alarm clock with a gigantic oversized snooze button. It is a huge round button the size of the media inside a 3-1/2 floppy. I need such a massive snooze button because I'm so disoriented in the morning. I've tried to do the "not hitting the snooze button 10 times" thing, but it just doesn't work. Though, my trouble waking up doesn't turn out to be nearly as bad as my trouble falling asleep. Sometimes I think I would be better off if I did no sleep at all. I have yet to see the Nolan movie Insomnia though (though I plan to).

Now there's two chains!
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I wanted to take a moment to rejoice that whoever is in charge of such things in the USA has finally seen that the asinine questions asked of airline passengers checking in are in fact asinine, and they are no longer being asked.

I do not want to spoil this innocent pleasure for you, but I have been asked those very questions on the happy occasion of my only regular trip to US territory, at Honolulu Airport, as late as January 2001. The woman behind the United counter would have had no problems adjusting to no matter how sudden a career change to, say, a prison warden or a domina. In fact, this is probably what she did in real life, here she was giving an improvised guest performance just for me, trying to make my way back to Tokyo as unpleasant as possible. :lol:

Curious, excellent initiative. Phong, sorry, this is a meta-thread. Can't open a second chain here, we need to discuss stuff. Like how many times a day we're allowed to post over there, and what happens if two people post at approximately the same time. Can we have multithreaded threads in phpBB? Are there any online prose awards we could win? 8)
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plate wrote:
I do not want to spoil this innocent pleasure for you, but I have been asked those very questions on the happy occasion of my only regular trip to US territory, at Honolulu Airport, as late as January 2001.

They just stopped asking these questions a matter of weeks/months ago. I can confirm that, on my recent trip to Chicago (<2 weeks ago), I was not asked those stupid questions.

--kurt
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They just stopped asking these questions a matter of weeks/months ago. I can confirm that, on my recent trip to Chicago (<2 weeks ago), I was not asked those stupid questions.

Perhaps it moved to Europe then. I was asked the "Did you pack yourself?" stuff when I was flying Berlin->London->Berlin last weekend. Well, the Self Service Ticket Machine from British Airways "asked" those questions, I had to press Yes to proceed. :-)

Yours,
Larde.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talk about Memento's timeline reminds me of another movie that does that some...Snatch (one of the funniest movies IMO).
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizen wrote:
The talk about Momento's timeline reminds me of another movie that does that some...Snatch (one of the funniest movies IMO).

Yeah, except Memento was actually a good movie. :)

Also, Pulp Fiction was one of the first movies to do a non-linear timeline. That's still one of my favorite movies.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Yeah, except Memento was actually a good movie. :)

Also, Pulp Fiction was one of the first movies to do a non-linear timeline. That's still one of my favorite movies.

I really like Snatch. I think maybe because it appeals to my sense of humor.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's not as rigid as Memento, Betrayal also has a reversed timeline, and is the first movie I remember seeing of that sort, back in the mid 1980s.
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I liked Snatch, but didn't find it that good.
What about Get Shorty? Trivial movie, but perfectly entertaining I think. And you don't see Gene Hackman playing a Loser that often... :-)
Oh:
Quote:
Martin: And I'm wondering: how did it all slip away?
Karen: Well, it didn't slip away, Martin. You did, when you went off to fuck Nicky at my birthday party.
Martin: Yeah, that was a good party.

Larde.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larde wrote:
And you don't see Gene Hackman playing a Loser that often... :-)

Ah, you obviously haven't seen The Royal Tenenbaums. Man, that movie was weird... I won't call it "Bad", but I also won't call it "Good". Just weird.

--kurt
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody mentions Pulp Fiction, I always have to mention Reservoir Dogs.

Oh, and since this is the Chain meta-thread, are we gonna set some rules for the chain thread? Like how many posts have to be between a single person's subsequent posts or anything?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to ruin the flavor of the chain thread, I'll post here. Does anyone catch the correlation between pizen's post and phong's?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same... Looks more like it was spawned from the previous message (about it being Halloween). Two possible (but dubious) links to my message:
1) I mentioned Alyson Hannigan is hot - Pizen said it was unseasonably warm
2) Her character name is Willow - Willows are also trees which apparently haven't changed color much yet in Atlanta
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Not to ruin the flavor of the chain thread, I'll post here. Does anyone catch the correlation between pizen's post and phong's?

Allow me to try....
phong wrote:
Anyone else think Alyson Hannigan is super hot? Ok, rehtorical question - I know everyone knows she's super hot. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many Buffy episodes. I don't really know what people are talking about when they talk about the "bored now" Willow.

Ok, notice the word "Willow." According to dictionary.com:
wil-low: n. Any of various deciduous trees or shrubs of the genus Salix, having usually narrow leaves, unisexual flowers borne in catkins, and strong lightweight wood.
Let's see what pizen has to say....
pizen wrote:
It's the last day of October. I'm wearing shorts and am very comfortable. It was in the mid-70s a few days ago. Very few trees are changing color. I wonder when autumn will get here. Ah, the joys of Atlanta weather.

Hmmm, trees. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but hey. There is a connection.

I think from now on, if a connection is not blazingly obvious, a post in this thread would be quite beneficial. Thank you.

EDIT: inserted a "not" before blazingly. i am dumb a lot.

Proper Web Development

I'm done at 999.

Last edited by carambola5 on Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good enough for me, I didn't catch it and thought it was a reply to the post before phong's.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the correlation was that Phong was talking about Alyson Hannigan being hot and I was talking about the weather being hot in Atlanta this late in the year.....nevermind, y'all didn't get it.
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and evil Willow is quite a catch. However, she's somewhat dangerous, and to answer Phong's question, in an alternate reality, Willow is a vampire. She was brought to Sunnydale via a spell gone wrong at one point, which made for amusing confusion. "Bored now" is what she said before throwing someone across the room.

Ok, I admit that using "catch" as the connection is a stretch, but there wasn't much to go on there. :)

Scott
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
If somebody mentions Pulp Fiction, I always have to mention Reservoir Dogs.

And if somebody mentions Reservoir Dogs, I have to mention Long Hu Feng Yun ( City On Fire ), with Chow Yun Fat. A lot of people think this movie was the germinal inspiration for Reservoir Dogs, and I agree with them. And what an amazing movie it was in its own right. Very sad. ( And the unrelated sequel, Prison on Fire was a damn cracker too ).

Regarding later posts in this thread, dear god yes, Hannigan is a hottie. Redheads are the only reason I watch TV anymore. *clicks on the X-Files*

-- Curious
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnemia in the chain wrote:
Speaking of el Diablo's holiday, there's this couple down the street from me that every year go around the neighborhood trying to get everyone to take down their Halloween decorations and pumpkins because it's "corrupting their innocent children with that Satan worship". lol, got to love the USA.

This is a rather funny comic in a similar vein, regarding the Saturnalia festival. Not suitable for minors though.

-- Curious
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've split off most of the Tarintino posts to a thread of its own since it seems to have grown into a discussion of it's own unrelated to the chain thread.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottro wrote:
Yes, and evil Willow is quite a catch. However, she's somewhat dangerous, and to answer Phong's question, in an alternate reality, Willow is a vampire. She was brought to Sunnydale via a spell gone wrong at one point, which made for amusing confusion. "Bored now" is what she said before throwing someone across the room.

Ok, I admit that using "catch" as the connection is a stretch, but there wasn't much to go on there. :)

Scott

Hey... don't spoil the story line. We here over the Atlantic haven't got past 7th(?) Series (the one after the one were Buffy dies) :evil:
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's from season 3 or so--hrrm, the year the mayor was the big bad. When she was walking around the Bronze as Vampire Willow.

So you're on last year then. I missed a lot of that one.

BTW, for those in the US with cable, FX will be showing Hush, which I consider the best Buffy episode I've ever seen, on Tuesday. The scene when she mimics staking the baddies is a classic.

(I think I can give this away without spoiling for those who haven't seen it--at one point, no one can talk, and Buffy, sitting down, mimics staking the evil ones several times, with no stake in her hand, getting many strange looks--try it and you'll see why.

It also was the one Buffy I ever saw that I really found frightening--real horror vs. adventure, comedy-drama et al

BTW craftyc, I use your sig line in conversation from time to time and it always gets a laugh.

Scott
lemming
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm annoyed in that if I was in the UK, I could get Season 3 & 4 on DVD. In the US, we can't get them yet. :evil:

And some of us don't have cable...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: