View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Why did gentoo decide to "customize" Apache Reply with quote

There are some things you should just not screw with. One being the standard configuration and maintenance of applications like Apache..... Afterall, apache is one of the shining examples of what open source should be and has a very active development team.

But for some unknown reason, the gentoo devs decided to do Apache "their way". In one fell swoop, they've rendered almost all howto and reference documentation for apache useless and have neglected to provide any documentation of their own. Here's just a few I've noticed in the couple of days setting apache up:

1. Changed the standard httpd.conf file into two separate files, commonapache2.conf and apache2.conf.
2. On a wim, created an *extra* modules directory called apache2-extramodules. This directly interferes with the function of apxs since it is setup to use only one, standard directory: modules
3. httpd binary has been renamed apache2.
4. Many other binaries renamed so that they have a '2' behind them.

Some of these are rather minor, but if you didn't know and were trying to follow the official documentation on apache.org you'd be lost. right off the bat: "To do blah blah, open your httpd.conf and add......"

On top of this silliness, none of the man pages or other documentation has been updated to reflect the changes.

To top it off I have failed to find any official Gentoo documentation of the changes, why they were done, and how exactly they differ.

There may be very good reasons for these changes, but the lack of documentation leaves me to wonder especially since it breaks some functionality.

If anyone has answers to why this was done, I'm curious to know.

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, Apache2 vs Apache1.3 perhaps?

Perhaps you ought to do a tiny bit of research and put 2+2 together before entering bitch-slap mode.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These differences aren't due to apache1 v apache2 changes. They are done by the gentoo ebuild. Though it may (I say may since we don't really know, there not being any documentation), have been an attempt to distinguish 1 from 2, if it breaks compatibility and causes problems with apache's own utilities than imho it is either a bad move or poorly implemented.

Apache Home Page

And for further confirmation, from the ebuild:
Code:

cd ${D}
    mv -v usr/sbin/apachectl usr/sbin/apache2ctl
    mv -v usr/sbin/htdigest usr/sbin/htdigest2
    mv -v usr/sbin/htpasswd usr/sbin/htpasswd2
    mv -v usr/sbin/logresolve usr/sbin/logresolve2
    mv -v usr/sbin/apxs usr/sbin/apxs2
    mv -v usr/sbin/ab usr/sbin/ab2
    mv -v usr/sbin/ab-ssl usr/sbin/ab2-ssl
    mv -v usr/sbin/suexec usr/sbin/suexec2
    mv -v usr/sbin/rotatelogs usr/sbin/rotatelogs2
    mv -v usr/sbin/dbmmanage usr/sbin/dbmmanage2
    mv -v usr/sbin/checkgid usr/sbin/checkgid2
    mv -v usr/sbin/split-logfile usr/sbin/split-logfile2
    mv -v usr/sbin/list_hooks.pl usr/sbin/list_hooks2.pl
    mv -v usr/sbin/logresolve.pl usr/sbin/logresolve2.pl
    mv -v usr/sbin/log_server_status usr/sbin/log_server_status2
    mv -v usr/share/man/man1/htdigest.1 usr/share/man/man1/htdigest2.1
    mv -v usr/share/man/man1/htpasswd.1 usr/share/man/man1/htpasswd2.1
    mv -v usr/share/man/man1/dbmmanage.1 usr/share/man/man1/dbmmanage2.1
    mv -v usr/share/man/man8/ab.8 usr/share/man/man8/ab2.8
    mv -v usr/share/man/man8/apxs.8 usr/share/man/man8/apxs2.8
    mv -v usr/share/man/man8/apachectl.8 usr/share/man/man8/apache2ctl.8
    mv -v usr/share/man/man8/httpd.8 usr/share/man/man8/apache2.8
    mv -v usr/share/man/man8/logresolve.8 usr/share/man/man8/logresolve2.8
    mv -v usr/share/man/man8/rotatelogs.8 usr/share/man/man8/rotatelogs2.8
    mv -v usr/share/man/man8/suexec.8 usr/share/man/man8/suexec2.8

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
srlinuxx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent two hours reading the dern docs at apache.org in preparation for configuring my very first files! Man, like this wasn't gonna be rough enough. After wasting a day messing with khttpd that kept ooopsin' on me and now you say the docs aren't gonna match up... ?

maybe I'll unmerge gentoos and see if the source tarball from apache will compile....

<walks off shaking head> :?
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without their changes, it is impossible to use apache1 and apache2 on the same system. That is the reason.
Registered Linux User #263260
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srlinuxx wrote:
I just spent two hours reading the dern docs at apache.org in preparation for configuring my very first files! Man, like this wasn't gonna be rough enough. After wasting a day messing with khttpd that kept ooopsin' on me and now you say the docs aren't gonna match up... ?

maybe I'll unmerge gentoos and see if the source tarball from apache will compile....

<walks off shaking head> :?

I wouldn't say that, the time spent trying to figure it out was the most irritating part. Being forwarned just bear that in mind while you go along. Also in most cases using the ebuild as a reference clears up a bit of the confusion.

Roguelazer wrote:

Without their changes, it is impossible to use apache1 and apache2 on the same system. That is the reason.

I assumed it was something of the sort, but (and this is an honest question) why would someone want to run both?

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
agaffney
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Apache 2.x became stable in the Portage tree many months back, many people migrated to it. A lot of people run production sites on their Gentoo boxes (me included). I know I didn't want to remove Apache 1.3.x until I knew that 2.x was working perfectly.
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

lol my god I hope this was an attempt at humor :)
GENTOO_GOD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Perhaps you ought to do a tiny bit of research and put 2+2 together before entering bitch-slap mode.

Perhaps you should take your own advice you retard.

Roguelazer wrote:

Gentoo people should push these changes upstream to the Apache developers. Since it only makes sense that all other users should be able "to use apache1 and apache2 on the same system".

locutusofborg wrote:
I know I didn't want to remove Apache 1.3.x until I knew that 2.x was working perfectly.

So, Gentoo has enabled you to understand your own system so well that you can't even accomplish this yourself? Speaks very well for the Gentoo'ers.
Lews_Therin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENTOO_GOD wrote:
charlieg wrote:

Perhaps you should take your own advice you retard.

Roguelazer wrote:

Gentoo people should push these changes upstream to the Apache developers. Since it only makes sense that all other users should be able "to use apache1 and apache2 on the same system".

locutusofborg wrote:
I know I didn't want to remove Apache 1.3.x until I knew that 2.x was working perfectly.

So, Gentoo has enabled you to understand your own system so well that you can't even accomplish this yourself? Speaks very well for the Gentoo'ers.

Poor attempt at a troll. 4/10, I've seen better.
agaffney
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENTOO_GOD wrote:

locutusofborg wrote:

I used Slackware for years before I even discovered Gentoo. I am well aware of how to compile a package from source and install it. I just prefer to keep all software on my Gentoo system under the control of Portage.
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why did gentoo decide to "customize" Apache Reply with quote

krunk wrote:

1. Changed the standard httpd.conf file into two separate files, commonapache2.conf and apache2.conf.
2. On a wim, created an *extra* modules directory called apache2-extramodules. This directly interferes with the function of apxs since it is setup to use only one, standard directory: modules
3. httpd binary has been renamed apache2.
4. Many other binaries renamed so that they have a '2' behind them.

imho,these changes are minor..
it's common sense that tells one that apache2.conf is similar with httpd.conf
and one doesnt need to be a guru to discover this...
the commonapache2.conf can be easily disabled,or you prefer default configs?i dont.

what bothered me some time ago was the patching of apache,so apache wont compile/wont run etc..
the changes arent documented in gentoo docs,this is a valid point.
i emerge apache,i know i have installed it(according to portage),after reading the docs on apache.org it tells me about httpd.conf..i dont have one..
what stops me using qpkg -l apache
castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Um, Apache2 vs Apache1.3 perhaps?

That was a bit harsh. The guy was just asking. I think explaining the advantages would be more effective.

From someone who has both configured apache by hand and used gentoo's method. These are the benefits I see:

* Apache comes with ssl enabled by default. with a self signed certificate created for you.
* Apache 1 & 2 can be used simultaneously.
* Installing a new module, such a subversion, or mod_jk2, is trivial. All you have to do is emerge it and then enable it in /etc/conf.d/apache2
* The files still work with webmin ( I am a lazy bastard I know :) ).
* More logical file location. configuration is under /etc where you would expect.
* Each module has a individual configuration file, which allows emerge to just put a file in there.
* directories and locations are configured in commonsapache2.conf. So the rest of the apache configuration is not on your face. If you what to add some web application, you go to that file. If you want to change apache2's behavior, you go to apache2.conf. This approach is taken by a number of other distributions.

Of course all this can be achieved by doing some configuration changes, but having them done by default is a real time saver.
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulpach wrote:
* Apache comes with ssl enabled by default. with a self signed certificate created for you.
Of course all this can be achieved by doing some configuration changes, but having them done by default is a real time saver.

No, having them documented would be the timesaver. It took me a few hours to figure out how to get SSL on 10443 and plain on 10080 (private server :P). Truly, it was incredibly simple once I figured it out (-DSSL in conf.d and alter a Listen directive in modules.d), but the utter lack of documentation on the Gentoo Way(TM) turns it to being worse than the original configuration.

At least this brush with hordes of different config files gave me enough experience that when I wanted to change LimitRequestBody, I only beat my head against the wall for half an hour before finding that it was being overridden by 70_mod_php.conf. "Fix some bugs" (might as well have not commented it, with how useful that is) and create some others....
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large amount of "documentation" is available on the forums. Check out the FAQs and the Documentation, Tips & Tricks forum. It's all in there...

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:
A large amount of "documentation" is available on the forums. Check out the FAQs and the Documentation, Tips & Tricks forum. It's all in there...

Just what we need, another place to hide documentation. apache.org, www.gentoo.org, tldp, google (web and groups), man, and info weren't enough.
</rant>
srlinuxx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krunk wrote:
srlinuxx wrote:
I just spent two hours reading the dern docs at apache.org ... the docs aren't gonna match up... ?

I wouldn't say that, the time spent trying to figure it out was the most irritating part. Being forwarned just bear that in mind while you go along. Also in most cases using the ebuild as a reference clears up a bit of the confusion.

Well, thanks for your reply and info, but I had done as threatened and just used the basic tarball from apache.org.

I understand now after reading all the replies why gentoo did as they did, but it would have really messed me up if I hadn't run into your post. Thanks.
MmmmJoel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapphirecat wrote:

No, having them documented would be the timesaver. It took me a few hours to figure out how to get SSL on 10443 and plain on 10080 (private server :P). Truly, it was incredibly simple once I figured it out (-DSSL in conf.d and alter a Listen directive in modules.d), but the utter lack of documentation on the Gentoo Way(TM) turns it to being worse than the original configuration.

The Gentoo Way(TM) is documented:
Quote:

The /etc/conf.d Directory

Gentoo provides an easy way to configure such a service: every init script that can be configured has a file in /etc/conf.d. For instance, the apache2 initscript (called /etc/init.d/apache2) has a configuration file called /etc/conf.d/apache2, which can contain the options you want to give to the Apache 2 server when it is started:

Code Listing 15: Variable defined in /etc/conf.d/apache2

APACHE2_OPTS="-D PHP4"

Such a configuration file contains variables and variables alone (just like /etc/make.conf), making it very easy to configure services. It also allows us to provide more information about the variables (as comments).
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MmmmJoel wrote:
The Gentoo Way(TM) is documented:
Quote:

The /etc/conf.d Directory

Gentoo provides an easy way to configure such a service: every init script that can be configured has a file in /etc/conf.d. [elaboration snipped]

At the risk of sounding excessively flamey, please read my posts. Not everything I was working with is done through /etc/conf.d, but through a huge number (at least compared to the familiar single-file format) of .conf files with no self-contained overview of how they fit together. Like the Gentoo devs think long comments are poisonous or something.
Time to quit watching this thread.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gentoo provides an easy way to configure such a service: every init script that can be configured has a file in /etc/conf.d. For instance, the apache2 initscript (called /etc/init.d/apache2) has a configuration file called /etc/conf.d/apache2, which can contain the options you want to give to the Apache 2 server when it is started:

Alot of ebuilds do it this way but not all, I think it would be a perfect compliment to gentoo's init scripts if we could get all conf files into /etc/conf.d it sure would make things alot simpler and less cluster fscked.
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ebuild just renames some files, big deal ?

comment the lines in the ebuild, and wupti, you got a normal apache installation.
The gentoo team does a good job.
Kihaji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:
the ebuild just renames some files, big deal ?

Which is exactly why upstream developers hate Gentoo. It is common courtesy to ASK before you change the working structure of an application.

Sure, this is OSS/FS and you can modify anything to your little hearts content, but if you start putting out something called Apache, the devs upstream better know what you did and why, so they can anticipate and lead people with support questions to the right spot.

The Gentoo dev's dropped the ball and did one of the largest no-no's in OSS/FS software, they should be ashamed.
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo Linux, Its all about choice.
The renameing is just a hack, if you dont want the hack, remove it.

The gentoo team could also make a USE flag called apache-hack that people could activate if they wanted both Apache1 and Apache2.

But i think that is too lame to make a USEflag just for one ebuild.
there is no change in the main structure of apache.

I dont think that the Apache developers hate the gentoo team, i've never heard any complains of gentoo before.

and again: just remove the hack if you want want them, it's so easy.
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say that I personally prefer the way that Gentoo sets up Apache to the standard setup. It's easy to use, and as long as you can read, easy to figure out how to work with it. If you don't like it, edit the ebuild file, stick the modified one in /usr/local/portage and presto, no more Gentoo-isms. I think the single biggest reason for keeping it the way it is, is for those people who are running Apache 1.x on their system and want to "try" apache 2.x without overwriting the first one. Plus, once you get used to how the module system is setup, as someone else mentioned, installing something like mod_jk is damn easy.

IMHO
Deebster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never realised that the changes were Gentoo's, I assumed the change in config style was new to apache 2.

Looking at the differences, I prefer Gentoo's setup, as it's more consistent with the rest of the system. Most of the patches, apart from the config/filename changes, are from apache's CVS tree, so it's nothing that probably won't appear in later versions.

sapphirecat does have some good points though, and maybe the ebuild should warn you about these fairly large changes in the setup, and that all non-Gentoo apache documentation might no longer apply. A link to a file/url that documents all the customisations wouldn't be too hard either.

It might be nice to have an ebuild/USE flag for a vanilla install, although personally I'd prefer an install that keeps the config change and patches, but doesn't append '2' to files.

I'm not sure where Kihaji is coming from; if developers hate Gentoo (or its users) it's because they break stuff with arcane build flags and odd setups.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: