Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Official Dumb Mistakes Thread (TM)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: The Official Dumb Mistakes Thread (TM) Reply with quote

I'll get the ball rolling.

PCSX wrote:
GeForce3/PCI/SSE

Curious wrote:
What you say?!!

glxinfo wrote:
All your bus are belong to us!!

Unreal Tournament Opponents wrote:
You have no chance to survive, make your time!

I've fixed it now. But I can't believe it took me two weeks to spot.

-- Curious

glxinfo wrote:
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce3/AGP/SSE2

Curious wrote:
You know what you doing. Move 'Z', for great justice.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a setup phase (old job), I thought I was remotely connected to a client and accidentally rebooted the server.

This would've been very, very bad when the server was in use. Most have done it at one time or another (co-workers of said job).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the "forget which console belongs to which machine" and rebooted servers on the other side of the ocean by accident, sometimes when their kernels were in unbootable states several times.

Here's one from a job a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Part of my job was to hack on this giant spreadsheet model of future company earnings, to estimate the worth of companies for potential acquirers. We had a menu where clients could pick and choose which parts of the model to study and run. One major part of it was tax implications of certain decisions. In my experience, this was a very important part of the model, and could change the final numbers drastically.

However, one client didn't see it that way, and even though we explained this to them, they refused to order the tax part. Well, the big giant spreadsheet still had the tax section in it, but the formulas and such changed each time as we consulted with the tax professionals. So this time I just zeroed it out.

And when we got into crunch time and I had not been sleeping very well and I had been living and breathing numbers and formulas, I got a little punchy and had an idea. There was a meeting scheduled for (let's say) 2100 Friday where we were going to go over my final draft of the model before faxing it to the client. I wrote a sarcastic footnote in the zeroed tax section that said basically "If the client were not such a foolish cheapskate, and had the wisdom to realize that the fact that this page is full of zeroes renders all the money they spent resarching the rest of it considerably less meaningful, this page would contain useful information". I thought it was pretty funny.

I made six copies, and also six copies that did not have the footnote. I brought the footnoted one to the meeting and passed it out. We got through the meeting and nobody noticed the footnote. I was hoping that someone would notice it and comment, but I had to lead people to it by speaking up and saying "can people check out how I documented why the tax section is zeroed". Most everybody had a good laugh, but suggested that I shouldn't have actually printed it out. I said I was totally prepared, and walked around the room exchanging clean copies for the ones with the sarcastic footnote. I then went directly to the shredder and shredded all the pages containing the footnote. All clear, I thought.

When I came to work the next Monday, my co-workers were green. Somebody had (unbeknownst to me) passed the sarcastic version to an assistant to have copies made, and the version containing my insulting footnote was the version that got faxed to the client.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I have done the "forget which console belongs to which machine" and rebooted servers on the other side of the ocean by accident, sometimes when their kernels were in unbootable states several times.

That's why I like the default Gentoo root prompt. It gives the hostname in red. ;)

Hmm... dumb mistakes... so few, yet so many. Regarding computers specifically, or mistakes in general?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Somebody had (unbeknownst to me) passed the sarcastic version to an assistant to have copies made, and the version containing my insulting footnote was the version that got faxed to the client.
Sounds like more of a mistake the 'Somebody' made, especially considering that you pointed it out.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's my most recent debacle. I've actually begun to consider it as a valuable experience - I now know for sure that reiserfs is really really fast (800+ megs of e-mail, nicely sorted into a few hundred directories by mailing list, sender, month, etc., all gone in less than an eyeblink).

Back in the hyperdisk days there were a couple times I baked my fat by turning off my computer before the write-behind cache finished its business. At work, I inadvertantly plugged in AT power connectors backwards on a motherboard. Managed to fry the PS and the MB. The irony is I had someone look it over before turning it on, and they noticed that the parallel port connector was backwards (whoop-de-doo), but missed the power connector.

A friend of mine actually pulled a sound card out his computer while it was on. That was a good one. Another time he was working on a customer's computer and a funny thing happened (not his fault, but a good story nontheless). He had just installed a new modem, and was setting up the software where he heard a loud "pop" and saw a light out of the corner of his eye. By the time he got up and got around to the side of the computer, a pretty blue flame was shooting out of some component on the modem was spilling up the side of the case and had already destroyed another card.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
That's why I like the default Gentoo root prompt. It gives the hostname in red. ;)

Good point. Should point out that I haven't done this with Gentoo. Yet.

kanuslupus wrote:
Sounds like more of a mistake the 'Somebody' made, especially considering that you pointed it out.

My boss didn't see it that way, and nobody ever fessed up to being the vector.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
My boss didn't see it that way, and nobody ever fessed up to being the vector.
Naturally. Sounds like your boss takes the easy way out (like so many do).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Naturally. Sounds like your boss takes the easy way out (like so many do).

[kung-fu voice]
His Weasel style has defeated your quite-funny Humour style.
[/kung-fu voice]

-- Curious
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tried to get familiar with that SGI O2 box that was acting as NIS, NFS and CVS server of the company I was working for. I made that classical mistake of not "when in doubt, first echo that expression before using it in rm".
I found a strange file shown as "^?" in etc. I don't like strange files. I wanted to delete it. So I typed rm ^? and wondered for a second if this could be harmful before pressing Enter. Nah, what should happen, ? only matches one character, so what...
Of course I cleaned out the whole /etc with that. I didn't know, or I didn't care for, that the former sysadmin had set the root shell to /bin/csh. csh interpreted that expression as "everything that has a longer name than one character".
Panic pure. I was not familiar with Irix at all. Of course, we had not backups of the /etc. I had a hard time to figure out how to extract something from the OS installation media that would help me getting back the standard files. Good luck, "ypcat passwd" on another machine would still give me the password file back. I fiddled around to get /etc fixed and hoped, that I never would have to reboot that box, because I didn't know if I repaired it to bootable state. :-) Well, after a long power outage months later, I found out it came up flawlessly. *phew*
I also experimented with different shells after that. The damn csh of Irix was the only shell that acted that way. No bash, sh, ksh or even csh on Linux would have fucked me like this. Hmm, I just tried it: Now csh in Linux behaves like the Irix version. Perhaps it was buggy in this respect back then, or I don't remember it correctly.

Regards,
Larde.
carlivar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in '94 I was working for Best Buy as a PC Tech while I was in high school. I did a couple bonehead things.

One time I put a math coprocessor in backwards. They warn you about 10 million times in the manual not to do that. I did. It pretty much exploded with a huge bang. Smoke came out and the whole mess was fused to the ex-coprocessor socket. Lucky for me the Best Buy superiors were pretty understandable. The guy got a new computer and I was not in trouble or anything, so I guess it worked out. I sure learned to triple-check stuff like that.

Another time I was on the phone with a customer regarding his computer. Literally at the exact moment he asked if his computer would be okay (it was going to be fine) I dropped it. Yes, dropped his computer on the floor from a counter about 4 or 5 feet high. Cracked a bunch of shit on the case but amazingly the computer was okay, especially considering it was a Packard Bell I think. I superglued things back together and no one was the wiser...

Carl
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but people wonder why I laugh about BBuy.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the reason why it is an old job? 8)

kanuslupus wrote:
During a setup phase (old job), I thought I was remotely connected to a client and accidentally rebooted the server.
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once, I was changing the power supply of one of our desktops and I connected it wrong.... then I told the guy who was working on the next computer that he should be aware of the explosion (just kidding, of course). And then, it exploded when turned on 8)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Is that the reason why it is an old job? 8)

kanuslupus wrote:
No.
kanuslupus wrote:
This would've been very, very bad when the server was in use. Most have done it at one time or another (co-workers of said job).

Despite being my first Unix (Solaris) related job, I quit because environment within the company was horrible. In addition to that, there was alot more travel than I'd expected. 3-4 weeks at a time. In most cases, the trips occur within consecutive months.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes they think that we don't have a life, because we stay all the time in front of a computer. Actually, I don't have a life right now, but maybe some of us have.... well, not sure... how should it be? 8)

kanuslupus wrote:

Despite being my first Unix (Solaris) related job, I quit because environment within the company was horrible. In addition to that, there was alot more travel than I'd expected. 3-4 weeks at a time. In most cases, the trips occur within consecutive months.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Bastard wrote:
Yes, sometimes they think that we don't have a life, because we stay all the time in front of a computer. Actually, I don't have a life right now, but maybe some of us have.... well, not sure... how should it be? 8)

kanuslupus wrote:

I have a life :) (That's why my posting count is so low :twisted: )

back in the good old DOS days, I wrote a program called FORMATC.COM (Yes, kids, .COM is an executable extension, the program mus be smaller than 64k IIRC) and installed it in our Sales Director's AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Monday morning the poor bastard tunred on hsi computer and after booting it looked like it wa formatting his c: drive LOLOL. Poor guy (he was a SALES guy after all) tunred the PC off and back on again and the same thing happened :-D After having turned the thing off between 5 and 10 times and the same happened every time, he simply turned off the PC and told nobody. It took a couple of days until our CEO asked him about some numbrs and he started to stutter and turn red and what not... It was very funny!

My biggest mistake was when I got my hands on the first Compaq 286 Portable, a sweet box! I took it home over the week-end to really play with it and brought it back to the office on Monday (this was the ONLY one in Europe at the time) and came into the reception area with tiled floors and rain outside... Not a good combination.. The PC went skyrocketing and hit the wall and the floor, I hit the stairs, hurt my knee. The PC was in one piece thanks to kevlar! It worked without a hitch thanks to the rubber mounting of the disks and so forth. I think that spoke volumes of quality. Unfortunately, my knee was a problem for a long time afterwards!

Erik
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
...came into the reception area with tiled floors and rain outside... Not a good combination.. The PC went skyrocketing and hit the wall and the floor, I hit the stairs, hurt my knee. The PC was in one piece thanks to kevlar! It worked without a hitch thanks to the rubber mounting of the disks and so forth. I think that spoke volumes of quality. Unfortunately, my knee was a problem for a long time afterwards!

Too bad you weren't in the US! You could have sued someone and made a bunch of money. :twisted:
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
ebrostig wrote:
...came into the reception area with tiled floors and rain outside... Not a good combination.. The PC went skyrocketing and hit the wall and the floor, I hit the stairs, hurt my knee. The PC was in one piece thanks to kevlar! It worked without a hitch thanks to the rubber mounting of the disks and so forth. I think that spoke volumes of quality. Unfortunately, my knee was a problem for a long time afterwards!

Too bad you weren't in the US! You could have sued someone and made a bunch of money. :twisted:

Yeah, well I am now :-P

Besides, I think the whole system with sueing people and getting awarded more money than anyone can dream of using is immoral and inviting people to feed already greedy lawyers who are nothing more than mere criminals themselves.
I think this is one of worst sides with US society and it makes me sick.

Oh well :)
Erik
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
already greedy lawyers who are nothing more than mere criminals themselves.

Careful - that could be considered defamation, and angry hordes of lawyers might start suing you. :P
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You insensitive clod!!! 8)

ebrostig wrote:

I have a life :) (That's why my posting count is so low :twisted: )
Erik
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
back in the good old DOS days, I wrote a program called FORMATC.COM (Yes, kids, .COM is an executable extension, the program mus be smaller than 64k IIRC) and installed it in our Sales Director's AUTOEXEC.BAT file...

Where I work, they hang people for pulling shit like this. :-P

*gets out his remote administration software and starts inserting typoes into peoples work as they type / sending them messages from 'god'*

-- Curious
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,
Just thought I was going to check in on the thread to see how many kill/flame answers I had, not bad ... :lol:

I hope I insulted some lawyers, they need it!

And what is it that make the people in US think that the only people who can become a good politician is lawyer? I would say the exact opposite, a lawyer makes the worst politician. A politician should be a regular person, one who knows what they fight for, not a slime creepy, corrupt, lying and stealing lawyer!

I think the US needs to look at some other countries, lawyers aren't exactly welcomed as politicians, but I'm not sure if it really makes a difference.

"Make me the ruler of the world, and I'll make you rich!" :twisted:

Erik
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few people that aren't lawyers probably aspire to become politicians. I'm guessing that many lawyer-politicians to be, become lawyers so they can work the system. Know the law, know what you can get away with (or how to get away with it).

But that is a different thread... we can start a new one if need be.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Azzuron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a Dell insperon(?ithink?) laptop. He loved to play half life, but the harddrive was so bloody slow that it took for ever, and he wasnt a genious when it came to computers, and probably other things contributed to its slowness, and crashing n such. Anyway, he was feelin spunky one day i guess and pounded his laptop when it failed to fully load half life. Thus, his harddrive heads collided with the platters and well :) its game over. He calls up my friend jack "dood my computer isnt workin, half life gets into an infinate loop when i load it"

He also just recently bought (and was given half of) a new computer. In putting it together(over the phone with my friend) he found it wouldnt make the post. so, on his bday we all go over and check it out, and hmm, the MB has this very nice scratch on it right where the little CPU lever is. Dont know how he could have done that, but he has a knife in his pocket all the time, no fingernails, so figure that one out on your own :P. hes gonna send it back i guess :\ heh.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: