Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!! Reply with quote

xfree is broken in numerous ways, including -fPIC errors that prevent things from compiling as well as horrible driver support for newer ATI cards. Due to a bug in portage itself, the xfree 4.3.0-r6 ebuild that fixes a number of these issues (minus driver support) will not be unmasked. xorg-x11 doesn't have any of these issues and is currently marked stable on amd64 as of earlier today, so anyone having problems now has a migration path that will fix any problems they might be seeing.

also, xfree will not be supported on amd64 or included in the next livecd. the GRP will include xorg-x11 instead.

the portage bug holding back the working version of xfree has been open since 2002-03-25 12:30 PST, so i wouldn't get your hopes up about seeing it fixed any time soon. now is a good time to migrate to xorg-x11. and so, here is a mini guide to migrating from xfree to xorg-x11:

1) Back up and package your current xfree install
Code:
quickpkg x11-base/xfree

2) Compile and create a package for xorg-x11
Code:
emerge --buildpkgonly --nodeps x11-base/xorg-x11

3) Stop xfree and uninstall it
Code:
emerge unmerge xfree

4) Install xorg-x11
Code:
emerge --usepkg x11-base/xorg-x11

5) Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config so that all font directories point to /usr/share/fonts instead of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts - this can now be done simply by running etc-update

6) Re-start X and enjoy!

EDIT:
7) if you were using the GL supplied by xfree and not nvidia, switch to xorg-x11's GL
Code:
opengl-update xorg-x11

EDIT!
if you use an nvidia, and you dont opengl-update nvidia, then x will not start. this goes for xfree or xorg. the nvidia-glx ebuild does this for you, but after installing xorg it probably did an opengl-update xorg-x11

Last edited by Lv on Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, you'll just have to wait and see what we end up with now. because r6 wont be unmasked, it seems that r5 is getting the -fPIC fixes. however, if you are currently running r5 you will have to recompile anyways... so you might as well migrate to xorg-x11.

xfree should still be considered officially deprecated.
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your up-to-the-minute news update is that the patches apply to r5 but break it. r5 will not compile with the fixes required to make it work. :evil:
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, r5 is fixed and i'm once again warning everyone that xfree is deprecated and i'm not going to enjoy messing with it anymore if there are further bugs. i'm probably going to ignore any, as xfree is deprecated and imake is the devil.

the xorg ebuild was updated by spyderous to auto-matically do config file changing for you. all that is needed is running etc-update.

Quote:
<spyderous> Lv: i've committed a fix for config-file updating, etc-update should be all that's necessary
<Lv> really? kickass.
<jhuebel> NICE
<Lv> i'll add mention of that to the migration guide :)
<spyderous> also added backwards compat symlinks for now
<spyderous> for all fonts, docs, man
<spyderous> to deprecate for a while before obsoletion
<spyderous> also, be prepared for people to whine about their windows key not working
<ferringb> err, the windows key actually has a function in linux?
<spyderous> xmodmap can manually fix that
<spyderous> you can set it up to do so
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, xorg-x11 looks pretty good. Its running on my machines very well, and does appear to be slightly faster than xfree (imho, perhaps due to the code cleanups ..).
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!! Reply with quote

ttilley wrote:

4) Install xorg-x11
Code:
emerge --usepkgonly x11-base/xorg-x11

I have to point out that I'm no expert on portage, so this is possibly a stupid question :oops: : If I understand correctly, "--usepkgonly" will not compile xorg-x11, but download a binary? Can/should one not compile the package locally?
nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The command a few above created the package for you. So it wont download, and will be compiled by you with all your personal settings. I think. :)

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevynxxx wrote:
The command a few above created the package for you. So it wont download, and will be compiled by you with all your personal settings. I think. :)

Stupid me! :oops: I must have skipped that line when reading.
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, me again. "emerge --buildpkgonly x11-base/xorg-x11" does not work for me. I get the following message:

Code:
!!! --buildpkgonly requires all dependencies to be merged.
!!! Cannot merge requested packages. Merge deps and try again.

Apparently, that requested package is xterm-184, as "emerge --pretend x11-base/xorg-x11" reveals:

Code:
These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[blocks B     ] x11-base/xfree ("virtual/x11" from pkg x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0)
[blocks B     ] x11-base/xfree (from pkg x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0)
[blocks B     ] x11-base/xfree ("virtual/xft" from pkg x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0)
[ebuild  N    ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0
[ebuild  N    ] x11-terms/xterm-184

But xterm-184 depends on xorg-x11. When I "emerge --pretend =xterm-184", this is what I get:

Code:
These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[blocks B     ] x11-base/xfree ("virtual/x11" from pkg x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0)
[blocks B     ] x11-base/xfree (from pkg x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0)
[blocks B     ] x11-base/xfree ("virtual/xft" from pkg x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0)
[ebuild  N    ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0
[ebuild  N    ] x11-terms/xterm-184

Is there a way of resolving this circular dependency other than removing xfree now and waiting for "emerge x11-base/xorg-x11" to complete? I'd like to keep working under X until compilation is finished.
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can load xfree and use X like normal. Then unmerge xfree, then emerge xord-x11, while still running xfree. but just make sure you don't reboot while xorg-x11 is building.

This worked for me, and the transition was very easy. Just has to tweak the fonts directory, and everything was fine!
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmerging xfree while using it sounds a little wild, but emerging xorg actually only took about half an hour, so I had a good cup of coffee.
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Nemo wrote:
Unmerging xfree while using it sounds a little wild.

Really :lol: 8O
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops. add --nodeps

and emerge --usepkg, not --usepkgonly, so that it will compile utempter and xterm

also, you cant install xterm while xfree is installed, as xfree provides xterm and the xterm ebuild knows this. it'll refuse to install.
ulysses_cruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to have this thread marked as sticky.

I'm sure most of us are going to be following these procedures over the ext few days :D

Iwill DK8X, 2x Opteron 244, 8x 512Mb PC2700, Geforce FX5600, Audigy 2 ZS Plat., MegaRAID SATA150-6
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!! Reply with quote

ttilley wrote:
5) Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config so that all font directories point to /usr/share/fonts instead of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts) Re-start X and enjoy![/b]

Shouldn't that be your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?
himpierre
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Installed xorg today and everything is running fine. Just two error messages are confusing me a bit because the corefonts are displayed correctly.

Code:

Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/corefonts/, removing from list!

Someone has an idea whats causing this?

regards
Thomas
astronic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Directories to be deleted manually? Reply with quote

Hello Gentooists,

first I'd like to thank ttilley for his efforts, everything worked like a charm.

However on a side-note I'd add that users interested in true type fonts should consider to safe their /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype seperately, since some important true type fonts are not included with xorg-x11 (of course you could unpack the XFree package you created earlier and merge the content of it's /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype directory with the content of the one that remains on your HD after unmerging xfree86 in - for example - /usr/local/share/fonts, but that's a few more steps to do).

But I also got a question: Are there any files or directories left that xorg-x11 doesn't use, but may not have been removed by "emerge unmerge xfree"? I just don't like orphaned files/dirs and since xfree86 wasn't the smallest built, I guess it left some unwanted remains.

TIA,
Stefan.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: xfree is officially DEPRECATED on AMD64!! Reply with quote

scoobydu wrote:
ttilley wrote:
5) Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config so that all font directories point to /usr/share/fonts instead of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts) Re-start X and enjoy![/b]

Shouldn't that be your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

Only if you don't have XF86Config. The new version will first look for the XF86Config before xorg.conf. So either will work.

Erik
ulysses_cruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just tried xorg on my system following the directions above, and I've run into a bit of a problem. :cry: Namely, my keyboard is not working properly for non-root users.

If I start X as root, and type in an xterm everything is fine, but If I start X as myself and try typeing, the cursor in my xterm will flash, but no characters appear.

Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps I have some incorrect permissions on my devices?

Iwill DK8X, 2x Opteron 244, 8x 512Mb PC2700, Geforce FX5600, Audigy 2 ZS Plat., MegaRAID SATA150-6
ulysses_cruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got it fixed (although I don't know exactly how) :P

I ran an emerge -Du xorg-x11, and then rebooted my workstation. I also removed xbindkeys from my gnome starup. Now I can type with no problems. :)

EDIT----------------------------

It looks like xbindkeys was the problem. I started it manually in an xterm, and immediately lost the ability to type in the terminal.

I am re-emerging xbindkeys right now to see if that will make a difference. :roll:

EDIT2--------------------------

Well, it looks like xbindkeys is not compatible with xorg :( Anyone know of another keymapper (other than the gnome one) that works with xorg?

dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulysses_cruz wrote:
Anyone know of another keymapper (other than the gnome one) that works with xorg?

xmodmap.
Lv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

file a bug on xbihdkeys. nobody will notice or even care about it unless you file a bug
ulysses_cruz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filed bug #48423 on this issue.

evgeny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did emerge -U world (which included xorg), applied auto-generated diffs via etc-update, restarted X, did unmerge xfree. Everything's working... Unbelievable. Superb job of the ebuild maintainers! Plus, the annoying bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45015 is now absent.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: xdm | kdm | gdm | etc... Reply with quote

Read through this topic and no ones mentioned it yet, and I want to make sure it won't break before I do this. Will merging xorg be transparent to login managers such as gdm (or xdm, kdm, etc.)?? I really like gdm, and I want to continue using it...

That leads me to my next question, will the wm stuff be the same as it was? I really don't want to have to go through configuring Fluxbox again...

From reading the topic I want to assume that these fears are invalid, but assumptions like that are the mother of all fuckups....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: