Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gkrellm stops updating temp, fan info after a while.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: gkrellm stops updating temp, fan info after a while. Reply with quote

I recently switched to a newer kernel, 2.6.1-rc1. I noticed that gkrellm stops updating the temps and fan speed after running for a while. I have closed and restarted the app, no change. I can reboot and it works again for a while then stops. The parts for CPU, memory, drives, and net etc work fine. Gkrellm does NOT freeze or hang up. It just doesn't update the temp and fan info.

I went to the gkrellm site and found nothing related to this version only a older version which should be fixed. I am using the 2.1.24 version of Gkrellm and KDE 3.1.5 desktop.

My opinion is that the problem is not Gkrellm. I think it has something to do with the kernel. I used the old config from 2.6.0-test11 to compile the new version. I have went back to be sure the proper stuff is compiled in, couldn't find a problem there. I did create the /sys directory and the files are there, from what I can see anyway. It also mounts the /sys when booting with no error.

Anybody have any ideas for this? Can you think of something that I can check that will narrow down the problem to kernel or gkrellm, or something else? Any help is appreciated. I am lost without Gkrellm. :cry:

Thanks

:D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well any ideas? It still does it. I'm up to gento-dev-sources-2.6.7 now and it still does it from time to time, like right now. It is stuck as I type.

:? :? :D :D :D

Oh, I have also switched to xorg and udev. Doesn't seem to help.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm up to 2.6.8-gentoo-r10 and it still does it. I did something a bit different in my last kernel though. I got tired of rebooting all the time to reset the thing. This time I put the sensor stuff as modules. When it stops updating, I can rmmod then modprobe them back in and it starts working again. This I think shows it is a kernel issue, bad driver I guess, and not a hardware problem.

I have no clue as to what to do now. Updating the kernel doesn't seem to help though. At least I don't have to reboot anymore. I even wrote a little script to reset it and change my fan divisor thingy. :D

What do I need to do to get this fixed??

Thanks

:D :D :D :D
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have solution for you, but you should be able to check sensor-related stuff through "sensors" command. Look at its output and see if it gets updated there or not.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with 2.6 kernels you don't need lm-sensors or the i2c stuff, they are built in the kernel. Besides, when I do try to install those, it tells me they are in the kernel, use those. I was going to go back to the old way but it won't let me.

Any more ideas?

mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use 2.6 kernel and I can install lm_sensors without problems. It needs i2c package, which should be installed even though it is contained in kernel, so it does not really install anything. After this lm_sensors package installs fine.
Anyway, readings should be stored in /proc virtual filesystem, look there to see if you can find the right file (I believe that gkrellm just read those files) and see if temeprature is updated properly there.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I get for i2c:

Code:
>>> Source unpacked.
 * You are running:- 2.6.8-gentoo-r10
 * Using kernel in /usr/src/linux:- 2.6.8-gentoo-r10

* For 2.5+ series kernels, use the support already in the kernel
 * under 'Character devices' -> 'I2C support'.

* To cross-compile, 'export LINUX="/lib/modules/<version>/build"'
 * or symlink /usr/src/linux to another kernel.

* Non-2.4 kernel detected; doing nothing...
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: sys-apps/i2c-2.8.7

lm-sensors gives me this:

Code:
 * You are using a 2.5 / 2.6 series kernel; only building utilities...

It is only a partial install basically.

sensors-detect get me this:

Code:
No i2c device files found.

I switched to udev and the /dev stuff does not exist, even if I reboot.

On mine the sensor data is in /sys/devices/platform/i2c-0/0-0290/. They are there even when it hangs up. They just don't update anymore.

It is a kernel problem. I just hope somebody fixes it, soon. My little script works though. :D

Later

mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that lm_sensors will solve your problem, but getting lm_sensors to work may help. I am using 2.6 kernel as well as udev and lm_sensors work just fine. The error like yours is mentioned in Gentoo wiki Hardware sensors guide, you should see if their solution will work for you.
http://wiki.gentoo-portage.com/HARDWARE_Sensors
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: