View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: eBay software? Reply with quote

I've looked all over for linux-based auction-management software for eBay. I have looked high and low and the only thing I could find is bidwatcher, which is nice, but it doesn't do everything I want it to do. Has anyone else found any good native linux eBay software? I would preferably like something that would also have the ability to run in the background and prompt you (audibly or through an applet) when you get a bid of some sort. But any suggestions for eBay software will be nice (I might even be interested in helping develop one).
Tyrdium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check SourceForge? There's about 5 or 10 up there; one of them will probably suit your needs... :)
lisa
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would kill for a Linux auction manager - focused on selling.
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrdium wrote:
Did you check SourceForge? There's about 5 or 10 up there; one of them will probably suit your needs... :)

Yes I did, and none of them are exactly what is needed. Most of them are half-assed projects.

lisa wrote:

your sign says developer, you any good with C/C++? maybe we can go in together on this.
lisa
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolvenwraith wrote:
lisa wrote:

your sign says developer, you any good with C/C++? maybe we can go in together on this.

Not as good as I'd like to be. That is, I need to learn a lot more of the C/C++ languages.
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think C/C++ would be very good choices for auction management...their interfacing with web tools is not good at all.

Maybe a php front end working with an SQL back end would be sufficient? I'm sure you could also bind Perl in to do anything else you might need, e.g. page parsing.
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seriously considering doing this lately, maybe even backwards engineering turbolister (eh, would need to look over their licensing and figure out how I could be protected legally?), because all linux-based listers to date are web-based, and if I am correct, I believe turbolister does it through a direct, cleaner, connection. I have limited experience backwards engineering network software (I've done it before, especially back in the day), but this is a project I am seriously considering taking up, especially since eBay is my only source of income at this point in time. Anyone interested in assisting with this (it would probably be best done in C++) is more than welcome :) I would even let you learn off it lisa if you wanted to.
Kihaji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolvenwraith wrote:
I've been seriously considering doing this lately, maybe even backwards engineering turbolister (eh, would need to look over their licensing and figure out how I could be protected legally?), because all linux-based listers to date are web-based, and if I am correct, I believe turbolister does it through a direct, cleaner, connection. I have limited experience backwards engineering network software (I've done it before, especially back in the day), but this is a project I am seriously considering taking up, especially since eBay is my only source of income at this point in time. Anyone interested in assisting with this (it would probably be best done in C++) is more than welcome :) I would even let you learn off it lisa if you wanted to.

You may seriously want to consider something other than C++. Java, PHP, Python, basically a more web-based language would be best. Why do I say this?
http://developer.ebay.com/DevProgram/developer/faq.asp#api2

They have a XML based interface over a HTTP transport for their services.
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll decide on a language later.. I am emailing eBay right now to find out the terms of their licensing. I hope their API license is GPL-friendly, we'll see.

EDIT: Email sent to eBay Developers section
Quote:
Hi,
First off, my name is Phillip. I have gathered a group of developers in the Open Source world who wish to develop an application similar to the popular Windows program, Turbo Lister, for Linux. I have reviewed your information about the eBay online API's pretty thoroughly, and I did not see anything covering the licensing of the product. I wish to release our product under the GPL License in order to be freely distributable. However, due to the nature of Open Source Software, there will be no way for me to obtain income from the project, and therefore no way for me to pay for a Commercial API License (the only license I saw which allowed distribution of the software). My question for you is this, is the licensing for the eBay API's GPL friendly, and due to the non-profit nature of this project, will you waive the normal commercial licensing fees? Oh, and if you have any doubts about the demand for a project like this, check out this.

Thank you for the consideration,
Phillip
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored a phone call with one of the eBay developer reps, and hopefully he will be calling me soon. His reply was this.

Quote:
Hey there Phil,

Do you have a few minutes to talk on the phone sometime this week? I think I understand what you're trying to do and I want to try to make it happen for you.

I believe that we might have something going here :)
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoohoo :) Sounds Promising. Keep us posted on this if you dont' mind.
Kihaji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool, even though I am not a die hard ebayer, if you need help and can put up with me I'll be more than willing to lend some assistance, I've had some (unfortunate) experience with webservices and the such.
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would not mind lending a hand. Keep us posted!
simcop2387
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this for a zaurus with wireless access? i mean are you going to end up using it to tell when you've been outbid and such right?
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simcop2387 wrote:
is this for a zaurus with wireless access? i mean are you going to end up using it to tell when you've been outbid and such right?

I think they are planning software geared at least somewhat towards sellers. However, it should not be too much to add some buyer features (which I hope they do).

Assuming this project goes forward to a certain extent, I would hope that some interface is available to wireless Zaurus users... since I'm one too. :)
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a zaurus and I have developed software for it (made a remote control interface to XMMS on my desktop using WiFi, was sorta cool.. had all the basic functions), so I could do that sort of thing, however right now I need money so I was planning on selling it. But to answer your question, I sort of have an idea for having a set of buyer, seller, and possibly zaurus tools. Whether or not they will be integrated or separated out is a matter of future discussion, first things first I will talk to the Senior Manager tomorrow and hopefully get permission to use their APIs. Once this goes through I will let you guys know on this thread and perhaps we can meet on IRC or something and discuss this project. Until then we'll wait and see, I'll keep you guys posted.

Edit: Keep in mind I will be leaning towards the seller tools development first due to the lack of Linux tools geared this way. There is already software (like bidwatcher) which is sniping and purchasing, but I do plan on covering the whole area.
jeffreymcmanus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: <delurk> Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

I have come to help! :) Hopefully, anyway...

What I'd suggest is to just get started developing your app under eBay's individual license. With the way that things are set up today, that's the license that would make the most sense for an open source project. The individual license is free to get started (free as in free beer, to bastardize the words of brother Stallman). You can sign up at http://developer.ebay.com (click on "Join").

I don't think there's anything that would prevent you from creating an open source app that uses the eBay API under the terms of the individual license. (Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong and we'll talk.) The only trick would be that users of the app would need to have their own individual licenses too.

One thing I'll point out before anyone here stumbles on it -- we provide an XML-based API for any platform, as well as a binary SDK for Windows. So, if you're targetting Linux you obviously wanna steer toward the API.

I'll watch this thread, so feel free to post questions here or whatnot. I'd love to see this idea succeed and I'm happy to steer you in the right direction.

Jeffrey @ eBay
jmcmanus@ebay.com
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all looks good to me, and I am about to sign up and work on the program concept. There is a couple of things though, first thing is I noticed that there is a limit of 50 API calls per day for the individual license. I think that for most people that would not be a problem, but any power-sellers might not like that too much (but then again, I just noticed " Additem and Relistitem calls are free for all Membership Tiers." so it may not be a huge problem, we'll see).
The second problem is that, once this program is in a condition to be publicly viewable outside of the developers, it would be nice if not every one of our users had to register as a developer to use it.
Now to those interested in this project, I just created the room #ebaylinux on irc.freenode.net. I'll idle there so that people can discuss this project.
One more thing Jeffrey, I just wanted to say that I have never gotten this kind of positive response from emailing a company before. I thank you and the developers section of eBay *VERY* much for being so helpful.
jeffreymcmanus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent questions. The 50 call limit is only for production, not for development. In development the daily call limit is way higher. Also, listing calls (AddItem and RelistItem) are exempt from the 50-call limit in production.

Since we rolled out the individual license this summer we've had quite a few individual sellers go live with applications and the limit works just fine for them; you have the commercial license as an alternative if the limits of the individual tier don't work for you.

You're welcome wolvenwraith, I'm totally happy to help!

Jeffrey @ eBay
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that this thread surprised me. There seems to be a lot of negative press going around eBay due to recent price increases, killing half.com, etc., but this sure scores a *LOT* of points with me. What other company 1) actually cares to answer such questions with rigour 2) takes the time to sign-up and respond on a foreign forum 3) understands the GPL/FOSS? Now of course this is just one individual, but that is one individual more than most other companies :)
jeffreymcmanus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, agent. eBay users are really passionate about the marketplace and the opportunities which means that they're sensitive to changes. We're sensitive to that but obviously you don't get to be eBay by sitting on your duff. At the same time people would get cranky if we didn't change things from time to time...so you see the dilemma.

As for posting on a foreign board, yes, it was very difficult for me to get a plane ticket to get to a country where I could fire up a foreign web browser so I could post, and smuggling my bits through customs was a problem in itself. Just try to explain to the guy in line at the airport that you've got a supply of American message board posts neatly stashed away in your suitcase and you suddently find yourself subjected to a long and rigorous interrogation and personal body search. I'm telling you, it isn't pleasant. But for you guys, it's worth it.
lukasa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Can't believe it! Reply with quote

I just read through the gwn and stumbled over the eBay-part.
Two thumbs up!
ThomasMoore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jeffrey for the pleasant surprise of appearing here.

wolvenwraith, I think that your going to find this program impossible to offer for free.
There is a $100 Certification Fee.
http://developer.ebay.com/DevProgram/membership/services.asp
Since this Certifies a program that uses the member name to work, every person that uses your program will have to pay the $100. Jeffrey, how often is the API upgraded to a point where programs need to be re-Certified @ another $100?

It would be nice if they would approve the program once and let people change the user name, but I'll be _very_very surprised if that happens. After 3 years of doing business on ebay, I have never, not once, seen ebay make a decision to help sellers. Their focus has always been on the buyer. As annoying as this is, I'm not saying they are completely wrong. The more buyers they haul in the more my stuff goes for.

That being said, I would be willing to pay the $100 if it was a one time thing.

Although AddItem and RelistItem calls are free, the docs suggest that it will take 3 API calls to make a listing. I'm not sure what, but I thing one of them was to get the catagory #.
ie. Computers > Software > Operating Systems > Linux would return 41881.
To get around this you would have to maintain a database of the catagory #'s and update it whenever it changed.

I read this last fall, but I believe another was to get the item #, but that could be scraped off your MyEbay page. Not sure what the other one was.

Any other goodies you added to your program would have to scrape the info to avoid API calls and I don't believe ebay would Okay the extra load on their servers. I think charging for API calls is stupid on ebay's part, but then I have never grew a few billion dollar business before. They state their doing this to take some load off the servers, but it would seem that making them free would take a far larger load off (people would do a lot less scraping).
jeffreymcmanus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you Jeffrey for the pleasant surprise of appearing here.

You're very welcome.

Quote:
Jeffrey, how often is the API upgraded to a point where programs need to be re-Certified @ another $100?

You don't have to re-certify when we update the API. You only have to re-certify when you change your application (where "change" equals "start using a new API call that you didn't use before").

Quote:
I have never, not once, seen ebay make a decision to help sellers. Their focus has always been on the buyer. As annoying as this is, I'm not saying they are completely wrong. The more buyers they haul in the more my stuff goes for.

I must respectfully disagree with you there, sir! eBay expends a staggering amount of energy toward supporting sellers. A lot of it is in the form of software changes. For example, have you tried to sell a DVD on eBay.com in the last four months? If you did, you'll notice that you can now list a DVD, CD or video game on eBay without having to type a description or supply a photo -- you just enter the UPC code, and we grab data from a product catalog that fills in nearly field in the sell-your-item form -- all you have to do is pick an auction format and a starting price, and you're pretty much done. This kind of catalog functionality isn't brain surgery, but it doesn't come without a cost.

The API itself is one of the best examples of how we support sellers. If you review the 50+ calls available in the API (summarized here; free signup required for access), you'll see that the vast majority of them are geared toward selling. More than ninety percent of my efforts are geared toward developer/sellers or developers who support sellers. (The other ten percent is devoted to drinking coffee and posting on message boards on company time. Wait a minute, it's Saturday, this is my time. Damn.)
jeffreymcmanus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, a couple more more things: listing is a single call (AddItem), not three, and remember that in production AddItem and RelistItem don't count toward your 50-call-per-day limit.

You should not call GetCategories every time you list an item (in fact, an application that does this will not pass certification). You should instead call GetCategories in an out-of-band batch process that gets kicked off every day or so. eBay only changes the category structure once per month or so, but there are 45,000 categories today and hundreds of changes get made to it each month, so you need a well-thought-out strategy for handling this big lump of data.

Scraping the site is bad strategy from a practical standpoint, since the HTML on the site changes every two weeks. It's like building a skyscraper on a rotten foundation. One time a developer actually sent us email asking for tech support when his scraping app broke as a result of an HTML change we made. We laughed at him. (In a polite and professional manner, mind you.) That developer is on the API now, btw.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: