View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfgangVH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Old Windows habit Reply with quote

Does anyone here who used windows for a long time get the urge to reboot regularly for no reason whatsoever???

After working for a few hours I find my self logging out so I can reboot.
I think, well I have been working a while now, better not push it, probably heading for a crash pretty soon.

lol I have been trained well that's for sure.

BTW I have never had Linux lock up solid once, and I have done some stupid things I tell 'ya. Call of Duty does freeze X when I quit though... :(
NuclearFusi0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been like that, after a few weeks of being up i think to myself "maybe it's a good idea to reboot.....nah....."
CDLM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only time ive had to reboot recently was an unsuccessful overclock :D

- Dave -
z28James
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im too lazy to set up my fstab to mount all my drives (6)....this means i try to avoid rebooting as so i wont have to go through that mount-fest :P
Doomwookie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally do it, but mostly for fun and the odd satisfying feeling I get from it.
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its the same thing as compuslively emerge syncing and -u world 'ing multiple times a day. You know you don't need to, but it just feels good.

Oh boy,, should we start a support group?
wolfgangVH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drewgrange wrote:
I think its the same thing as compuslively emerge syncing and -u world 'ing multiple times a day. You know you don't need to, but it just feels good.

Oh boy,, should we start a support group?

I do that too! I have been reading a lot about security lately and the biggest thing they say is updating.

I just had another flashback, my harddrive was churning a little bit, and I was waiting for the WinXP Error Report Dialog that comes up during a crash.

I find the hardest thing about Linux so far is not being afraid to put the computer to work. lol
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got two computers (one windoze and a gentoo box) sitting below my desk which have identical cases ...
Doomwookie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rojaro wrote:
i've got two computers (one windoze and a gentoo box) sitting below my desk which have identical cases ...

Hmm... two identical cases.... That's either a clever way to dual-boot or the sign of a deranged mind...

So anybody here find themselves occasionally emerging packages they don't even want or need just to be emerging something?
Brother Dysk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomwookie wrote:
rojaro wrote:

Hmm... two identical cases.... That's either a clever way to dual-boot or the sign of a deranged mind...

So anybody here find themselves occasionally emerging packages they don't even want or need just to be emerging something?

I do. It's just...fun.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reboot for kernel updates.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drewgrange wrote:

You shouldn't sync too often:
Quote:
'emerge rsync' etiquette

Over recent weeks we have noticed an increase in the number of connection attempts people make to the rsync servers per day. Because rsync is quite intensive on the server (both for CPU and disk access), syncing many times a day wastes a lot of resources apart from bandwidth; during the time it's processing such a request it could be serving someone else with a greater number of changes in their portage tree.

As such, we request that people endeavour to run `emerge sync' at most once or twice a day; if you have several machines in a LAN, then set up a local rsync mirror updating from `rsync.gentoo.org' instead of targetting any particular mirror.

Source: Gentoo Newsletter http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20031208-newsletter.xml#doc_chap1_sec5

To get back on topic: It also works the other way around:
I almost never use windows, so i usually don't feel the need to reboot, save my work or do anything else. At our university i sometimes have to use the really poor administered windows boxes. They are unable to save your settings, so turning on auto-save every 5 minutes in word is just active for the current login session. I didn't realize that first. I also didn't use the save button because i am just not used to do that (i thought auto-save was active since i enabled it once). Then the software crashed and the work of one hour (or even more) was gone. :evil:
My fellows (windows users) told me to press "save" every time i had written some sentences. there are always different strategies for dealing with unstable software ;)
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neenee wrote:

Would be a good bumper sticker... :o

I am sure ThinkGeek has that one already...
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides kernel updates/recompiles, the only two situations I've found that required me to reboot are

1. Sometimes while (ill-advisedly) mucking around with my PCMCIA network card or moving my laptop from one room to another at work, I've had to reboot to get networking going again. I know I'm supposed to bring down the network, move my laptop, then restart it, but sometimes I just forget and I'm stuck with rebooting.

2. I use KDE mainly, and run kdm on startup. If I reemerge KDE (I'm also playing around with 3.2.0_beta and kde-cvs), kdm balks when I try to switch to another user, and I can't seem to get kdm/xdm to quit or restart, and I'm stuck with rebooting.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never had the urge to reboot often ...even in the win* days i cursed the hell out of the bux when it asked me to reboot it ...and when the solution to a stupid problem was to just reboot the machine, i usually had to get away from the PC in order to cool off.

p.s. i've got nerves of steel usually ...but the rebooting just IS a stupid thing ...you have to agree on that one

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook wrote:
i never had the urge to reboot often ...even in the win* days i cursed the hell out of the bux when it asked me to reboot it ...and when the solution to a stupid problem was to just reboot the machine, i usually had to get away from the PC in order to cool off.

Same here. I'd be sitting there giving my computer the finger when I had to reboot because Windows is defective.
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reboot every day, or rather shut it down at night, because I'm a student and have the computer in my bedroom :(
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floffe wrote:
I reboot every day, or rather shut it down at night, because I'm a student and have the computer in my bedroom :(

I used to reboot often when I had a cat; the little furball would nuzzle my computer's reset button if I forgot to feed him.
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neenee wrote:

I reboot to test my rc-update settings ;)

-K
trbecker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't rebbot, my brothers do this for me (to play win games). so, when a come home, i turn on, log on and go ahead. By the morning, my bro logs out and go playing.
Red Nalie
Guru
Guru

Location: Den Helder - The Netherlands - Europe - Earth - Milky Way - Universe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had to reboot after 5 days uptime because WineX had problems with iKernel.exe or something during install of Battlefield 1942.
After reboot the problem was gone, so it actually worked, so no shame there...but still...I had to reboot for a Windows programma *shiver*

Anyhow, I tend to sync too often...need to stop doing that....

i'm a little n00bie short and stout, here is my nickname here is my SHOUT!!!1 when i get all flamed up hear me SHOUT!!1 ban me forever, kick me out
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rebooted three times this week.
1, i was removing a hard drive while the computer was on (no it wasn't hot swap). I unmounted it so there should be no problem. Then i removed the wrong one (damn Maxtors all look alike). However that didn't break anything. i removed the other one and plugged the one i accidently removed(system drive) back in. To the wrong cable. As soon as i did something it hardlocked :(. So close.

2, i upgraded to 2.4.23-ck1

3, it went all crazy like. But the hardware's been flakey for a while. Only a week to xmas and a brand new G5, though.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reboot almost every day - i dualboot with my brother (=winxp)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook wrote:
i reboot almost every day - i dualboot with my brother (=winxp)

Better you than me. When I built my brother's box, I gave him the worst Windows version ever made: Windows ME. I had hoped that it'd convince him to consider a switch to Linux, but he "doesn't want to learn Unix".

But he wants to get a Mac for video editing and graphics work. Wait till he notices that OS X is Unix-based. >^..^<
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't reboot, either in Windows or in Gentoo.

Of course, occasionally when Im coding the system really begins to wear down (BOTH OSes), especially since I have a bad habit of killing a process during debugging the moment I find whta I'm looking for; all the clever templated memory management in the world doesn't help that. So I'll reboot after maybe 6 hours of brutal coding/debugging sessions, as memory starts to vanish.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: