Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
genkernel 3.0.1 How-to
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 1206

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s0m3body wrote:
mhodak wrote:

BTW, I also have root partition mounted twice.


are you sure ? ;-)
i would bet that it is just because your real root is mounted over the rootfs (ramfs)
have a look at output of:
cat /proc/mounts

you should see something like:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 / reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0

output of df is wrong in this case, it sees two records for '/' in /proc/mounts (or /etc/mtab); then it calls statfs two times and the result is always the same (because the input parameter is '/' in both times)


You are right, /proc/mounts shows that it is real root mounted over rootfs, which confuses mount:
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0

So it seems like this is really nothing to worry about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suicidal
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 940
Location: /dev/null

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks for clearing up the mount issue s0m3body, I guess that is why the bug hasnt been responded to.

Quote:
great and the old genkernel 1.8 can't be emerged and now i can't do genernel --config and cant find new option in genkernel to config my kernel with extra options


You can still emerge genkernel 1.8 by:

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/sys-kernel/genkernel/genkernel-1.8.ebuild


what extra options are you referring to?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Sep 2003
Posts: 169
Location: South-Seattle Park

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:

Quote:
great and the old genkernel 1.8 can't be emerged and now i can't do genernel --config and cant find new option in genkernel to config my kernel with extra options


You can still emerge genkernel 1.8 by:

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/sys-kernel/genkernel/genkernel-1.8.ebuild


what extra options are you referring to?


I believe he's referring to having the ability to use "menuconfig" which is what issuing the "genkernel --config" command did in "genkernel 1.8" I was wondering the same thing myself. Which leads to my next question as well.

I have a question. When I went from 2.4.22-gentoo-r4 to r5, where is the copy of the 2.4.22-gentoo-r5 config stored/put after I compilation?

The reason I ask is because I don't see a copy created as per usual in "/etc/kernels/" directory.??

Thanks
_________________
JB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hughesjr
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Aug 2003
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you make a major change like this stable ... when the genkernel section of the installation manual still has genkernel 1.4 in it and there is no mention of kernel loopback or other required settings in the installation manual?

There is no way that a new gentoo user is going to be able to follow the manual and get a new kernel....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
payne
n00b
n00b


Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... like me. First kernel compilation ever. First gentoo install.

Followed the install manual to the letter for the gentoo kernel and ended up with the "root block device unspecified or not detected". I've gone back and tried to follow everything in this thread... setting the mentioned settings in genkernel (loopback, ramdisk... and removing drm modules for all but my video cards--which otherwise would hang the kernel compile). Three days later, I still don't have a bootable machine.

I enter my boot partition /dev/hda1 when it asks to "please specify a device to boot" and I get the error "mount : Mounting /dev/hda1 on /newroot failed: Invalid argument".

Being the 1st-timer I am, I have no idea how to proceed. Can someone help me or do I just need to install Fedora... with its self-running installation?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kiko555
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I use genkernel to install gentoo-dev-source-2.6.1...
everything is ok but after rebooting...
got the error message....
Code:

STEP 4 :Determining root device
Root block device unspecified or not detected
Please specifity a device to book, or "shell" for a shell

anyone knew what's wrong :?:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hughesjr
n00b
n00b


Joined: 10 Aug 2003
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiko555 wrote:
After I use genkernel to install gentoo-dev-source-2.6.1...
everything is ok but after rebooting...
got the error message....
Code:

STEP 4 :Determining root device
Root block device unspecified or not detected
Please specifity a device to book, or "shell" for a shell

anyone knew what's wrong :?:


Make sure to include root=/dev/ram0 and init=/linuxrc on the kernel line ... as well real_root=/dev/hdxx where xx is your ROOT partition (a1, a2, b1, etc.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wizard69
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Posts: 178
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX alot for this great howto eventually i succeeded with genkernel 3.01_beta6 and my new kernel is up and running

Gentoo Rocks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 1206

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

payne wrote:


I enter my boot partition /dev/hda1 when it asks to "please specify a device to boot" and I get the error "mount : Mounting /dev/hda1 on /newroot failed: Invalid argument".

Being the 1st-timer I am, I have no idea how to proceed. Can someone help me or do I just need to install Fedora... with its self-running installation?


Your bootloader configuration seems to be wrong, it should not ask you to specify device to boot in the first place. Post here your grub.conf (if you are using grub).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kiko555
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hughesjr wrote:

Make sure to include root=/dev/ram0 and init=/linuxrc on the kernel line ... as well real_root=/dev/hdxx where xx is your ROOT partition (a1, a2, b1, etc.)

thanks for ur reply....but I already had done"included root=/dev/ram0 and init=/linuxrc on the kernel line" this line.....

my partition list :
Code:

primary partition
hda1->fat32->WinXp
hda2->fat32->store data

Extended partition
hda5->ext2->linux boot
hda6->swap
hda7->reiserfs->linux


so my grub.conf:
Code:

root (0,0)
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/kernel-2.6.1-gentoo root=/dev/hda7 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.1-gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mbobak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Posts: 106
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: ext2 required!! Reply with quote

D'oh! I've been struggling w/ this. Since my system is 100%
LVM/XFS, I didn't bother to compile EXT2 support into my
kernel. Well, when you don't do that, initrd breaks, since it
goes looking for ext2, since that's how the initrd image is
created! D'oh!

Now rebuilding kernel w/ ext2 support, so that I can reboot,
so I can rebuild one more time to get initrd!

Anyhow, hope that helps out someone else,

-Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suicidal
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 940
Location: /dev/null

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why would you make a major change like this stable ... when the genkernel section of the installation manual still has genkernel 1.4 in it and there is no mention of kernel loopback or other required settings in the installation manual?

There is no way that a new gentoo user is going to be able to follow the manual and get a new kernel....


Thats what I thought when I saw it marked stable. The main reason I wrote this how to was with consideration to first time gentoo users. I saw yesterday that they updated the installation manual. However I would reccomend to newbies to either compile the kernel manually or use genkernel 1.8 and then try genkernel until they work more on it's functionality.

Quote:


D'oh! I've been struggling w/ this. Since my system is 100%
LVM/XFS, I didn't bother to compile EXT2 support into my
kernel. Well, when you don't do that, initrd breaks, since it
goes looking for ext2, since that's how the initrd image is
created! D'oh!

Now rebuilding kernel w/ ext2 support, so that I can reboot,
so I can rebuild one more time to get initrd!


I have updated the howto to add ext2 support, thanks for the info.

Kilo555 your grub info should look like this:

Code:

root (0,0)
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/kernel-2.6.1-gentoo root=/dev/hd0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda7 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.1-gentoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shwamster
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Jan 2004
Posts: 1
Location: South Bend Indiana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Need help with my grub.conf Reply with quote

I have been trying to install gentoo for the last couple of days. I am using the ck sources v2.4.23 and got through the install and compilation without any problems. When I try to boot the bootlader loads fine. I select Gentoo and get the following error:

Code:
STEP4: Mounting root
mount: Mounting /dev/hdd3 on /newroot failed: Invalid argument
Could not mount specified ROOT, try again
Root block device unspecified or not detected.
Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell


I have read all of the post but none have seemed to help. This is my grub.conf file


Code:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd2,0)/grub/splashimage.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd2,0)
kernel (hd2,0)/kernel-2.4.23-ck1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hdd3
initrd (hd2,0)/initrd-2.4.23-ck1





Also, this is my partitioning scheme:

Code:
hda->Windows NTFS
hdb -> NTFS storage
hdc -> cdrom
hdd1 -> linux boot (ext2)
hdd2 -> linux swap
hdd3 -> linux root (resiserfs)



Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Sep 2003
Posts: 169
Location: South-Seattle Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im getting the same exact error as "shwamster".

I feel like I've gone over this a million times.

My grub.conf is different though. I Don't think there's much of a difference here:

Code:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splashimage.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.2-gentoo-r5  root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=794
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r5


The important "/etc/fstab" info:
Code:

/dev/hda1 /boot ext3
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs
/dev/hda2 none swap


Isn't using "ext3" on /boot basically the same as "ext2" when compiling the kernel?

Thanks,
_________________
JB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dopey
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Posts: 235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new genkernel really sucks. The old one was much better. I think I'm going back to the way I did things in the past (100% manual kernel configuration).

So far I've run into the following:
1) linuxrc's usage of MY_HWOPTS is incorrect. It should be attempting to recurse with ${MY_HWOPTS} not MY_HWOPTS on line 51 (gentoo bug opened for this)
2) the modprobe script doesn't handle module dependencies very well at all. For example, when attempting to load ehci-hcd it loads the usbcore.o dependency then quits. This happens with every module that has a dependency to load
3) adding "single" as a kernel argument no longer forces the system to boot into single user mode. I have yet to figure out a way to force boot into single user mode.

Additionally, the entire genkernel system seems way too bloated and complicated.

Time to file gentoo bugs for 2 and 3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Jun 2003
Posts: 181

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dopey wrote:
This new genkernel really sucks. The old one was much better. I think I'm going back to the way I did things in the past (100% manual kernel configuration).

So far I've run into the following:
1) linuxrc's usage of MY_HWOPTS is incorrect. It should be attempting to recurse with ${MY_HWOPTS} not MY_HWOPTS on line 51 (gentoo bug opened for this)
2) the modprobe script doesn't handle module dependencies very well at all. For example, when attempting to load ehci-hcd it loads the usbcore.o dependency then quits. This happens with every module that has a dependency to load
3) adding "single" as a kernel argument no longer forces the system to boot into single user mode. I have yet to figure out a way to force boot into single user mode.

Additionally, the entire genkernel system seems way too bloated and complicated.

Time to file gentoo bugs for 2 and 3.


ahhhh so #3 was the problem ive been having... i cant boot into signle mode either, i tried it earlier today and just kinda shrugged it off, but now that i think about it another strange thing related to signle user mode came to mind, untill just recently when i would reboot the system it would display the signle user banner, "enter the root password or control-d yada" after a couple seconds it would reboot unless you put in the password, i thought it was pretty nice cause you could stop a reboot before it finnally went down if you needed to take care of something real qiuck, like forgeting to edit one last file. It would do that without me putting single in the options.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpalko
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Posts: 65
Location: Piispanristi, Finland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: 2.4.24-grsec-1.9.13 with this howto Reply with quote

Well, got my gentoo once again working with this genkernel. Don't know though whether it was relevant to install also mkinitrd for to get genkernel working... Though I did do that as well before getting this working... If it was, then I could only ask why genkernel does not depend on mkinitrd... :)

This was however necessary to be different on my choice in genkernel.conf:
Code:
BOOTSPLASH="yes"
=>
BOOTSPLASH="no"


Only thing left now is that after STEP 6 I get:
Code:
/linuxrc: 285: test: not found
/linuxrc: 285: test: not found


What fixes might there be still coming soon?
_________________
Jukka Palko
Piispanristi, Finland
Linux Counter ID #219161
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Nov 2002
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: second set of eyes Reply with quote

can someone take a look-see at my grub.conf and tell me if I have the settings for the gentoo r5 kernel entered correctly. I'm afraid I'm getting the dreaded error:

Quote:
mounting /dev/hda5 on /newroot failed: invalid argument
root block device unspecified or not detected


My grub.conf:
Code:
default=2
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Gentoo Linux v1.4 kernel-2.4.24
      root(hd0,1)
      kernel (hd0,1)/kernel-2.4.24 root=/dev/hda5 vga=792
title Gentoo Linux v1.4 kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
      root(hd0,1)
      kernel (hd0,1)/kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hda5 vga=792
      initrd (hd0,1)/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
title=Gentoo Linux v1.4 kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r5
      root (hd0,1)
      kernel (hd0,1)/kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda5 vga=0x317
      initrd (hd0,1)/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r5
title WinXP
      rootnoverify (hd0,0)
      chainloader +1


Please note that the vanilla kernel, the r1 of gentoo sources and winxp all boot fine, problem I'm having is with the r5 gentoo sources kernel. I assume that the settings would be similar as from the previous kernels...

I've also included my fstab file below:
Code:

/dev/hda2               /boot           reiserfs        noauto,noatime,notail   1 1
/dev/hda5               /               reiserfs        noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda3               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,user,ro          0 0
/dev/hda1               /mnt/windows    ntfs            noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0
none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0


Only item to note is my boot partition is reiserfs, and yes I do have reiserfs compiled into the kernel (ie not as a module). Now I have had problems (as others have stated here/other threads) with genkernel, but I have finally been able to cleanly compile a kernel with no error messages. So I figure I must be misreading something.

Oh, and below is an 'ls' of my /boot directory, just for sake of completeness:
Code:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       636285 Dec 20 08:06 System.map-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       533101 Jan 13 18:41 System.map-2.4.24
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            1 Dec  9 12:02 boot -> .
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          456 Jan 21 20:21 grub
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1496173 Dec 20 08:07 initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1695232 Jan 21 19:39 initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r5
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1379821 Dec 20 08:06 kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1284846 Jan 20 19:18 kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r5
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1019414 Jan 13 18:40 kernel-2.4.24


Thanks for the look-over, much appreciated. My eyes are buggin out 8O
Drumz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Sep 2003
Posts: 169
Location: South-Seattle Park

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post "drumz".

I wish I had an answer. Obviously the "Documentation tips and Tricks" forum isn't the place for our problems because no-one is answering. You, others and myself have all had the same error message and no one, has any clue as to whats going on or how to trouble shoot this. I feel like I've tried just about everything. Still no-go.. :(

Would you be willing to submitt your info to bugs.gentoo.org? I have no idea what the engineers will need besides the basic info. I don't see anything in my logs at all to help me with this.


Obviously no-one has any answers for why this is happening. I've scoured through the forums as well as bugs.gentoo.org to no avail. I've recompiled the kernel every which way possible and I can't figure out what the problem is.


HOW DO WE MAKE A "GENKERNEL STICKY" MODERATOR? Would others reading through these postings like to see a Genkernel Sticky?

Obviously this "Genkernel how-to" has turned into a "everyone dump your genkernel problems in this thread". The "Documentation Tips and Tricks" forum isn't exactly the appropriate place for genkernel problems. I feel that if we can atleast get a "STICKY"-thread going that we can air out why people are having these problems, share kernel settings and come up with a mini "how-to trouble shoot genkernel issues".

This will only help everyone including the DEV's. They seem pretty frustrated when bugs are brought to them with little or no info. The end-users really don't have any genkernel documentation to go off of even if they wanted to be pro-active in getting DEV's said needed info.

As a noob, I know how to get around the file system. If there was a howto with an outline of what "said info" needs to be submitted before posting then I would surely following that. Right now all that I have to go off of is my common sense.

A) A copy of the error that I'm receiving
B) A copy of grub.conf
C) A copy of fstab
D) A copy of my kernel settings

Not trying to be pesimistic because I luv gentoo, but how can Gentoo toot there horn the way they do in the x86 install documentation when talking about how nice genkernel and the gentoo sources are. Heh.. Heh... If they don't work at all and your forced to debug a kernel problem for days on end without any resolution...... why bother. The new Genkernel is completely blotted/Fat-Ass, undocumented and totally buggy.

This is an "ls" of the new genkernel default config and then the same for the former genkernel. Can YOu say "FAT-ASS".. Even the New default 2.6 kernel is half the size.

Can you say.... "Totally Undocumented and Totally Unfriendly"

Back to manual kernel installs again. This was a convienent kernel help/builder in its former glory but its nothing but a big pig thats over complicated and doesn't have any documentation except for the /usr/share/genkernel README file... Which is what this thread uses to try and help people initially.

Code:

"New Genkernel"
root@fusion1 / # ls -la /usr/share/genkernel/x86
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        42752 Jan 20 12:48 kernel-config-2.4
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        26847 Jan 20 12:48 kernel-config-2.6
"Old Genkernel"
root@fusion1 / # ls -la /etc/kernels
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        28073 Sep 19 20:32 default-config




Thanks,
_________________
JB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Nov 2002
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey:

There's this http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38274 bug posting that the gentlemen lists that he''ll be posting an update to genkernel 'in a few days':

Quote:
------- Additional Comment #12 From Brian Jackson 2004-01-20 21:23 PST -------

I'm attributing this (and it's dups) to a bad config that made it into genkernel. I'll have a -r6 that fixes this and other bugs in the next few days. I'm also revamping the config that genkernel uses.


I'm happy enough to post a bug with the details I posted above, but I'll hold off until this update is posted just in the off chance the problem is with the compiled kernel/etc that even if it compiled cleanly there still may be an issue. If that doesn't resolve it then I'll post a bug. Hopefully the new version will be put out soon so we can continue tracking this down.

Drumz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Sep 2003
Posts: 169
Location: South-Seattle Park

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumz,

For some reason I don't think that our issue is related to modules. The reason I say so is because, if it were I think that genkernel actually fails to compile completely, thus never finishing. I've ran into the same problem and genkernel dies before compiling the kernel. But when I actually go into menuconfig and take out all the junk that I don't need is when Genkernel actually compiles without error. Its only after bootup that we see the errror you, I and many others are getting.

Were getting past this point. But something we've compiled into the kernel isn't jiving with what we have listed in grub. Which is completely beyond me at this point because we've both got grub setup per the directions.

And its at this point that I have no clue why there isn't a log that we can look at that would help us further diagnose why this is happening. Neither Genkernel.log or Kern.log have anything usefull to tell. Is there somewhere else to look besides these area's that I'm unaware of?
_________________
JB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpalko
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Posts: 65
Location: Piispanristi, Finland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have gotten that sort of results that even without changing anything in menuconfig on the two runs, genkernel sometimes goes through completely, sometimes it just dies at modules_install... Weird...
_________________
Jukka Palko
Piispanristi, Finland
Linux Counter ID #219161
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suicidal
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 940
Location: /dev/null

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's this http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38274 bug posting that the gentlemen lists that he''ll be posting an update to genkernel 'in a few days':


That looks promising because the config that is stock in genkernel 3+ is utter crap imho it is 90% of most peoples problems. I had issues like this with the stock genkernel config then I used an old config and all the problems went away.

Still genkernel should not be sold as an easier way to configure the kernel, most people installing gentoo dont have another computer next to them so they can browse the forums for help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
allancairns
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 80
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:
Quote:
There's this http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38274 bug posting that the gentlemen lists that he''ll be posting an update to genkernel 'in a few days':


That looks promising because the config that is stock in genkernel 3+ is utter crap imho it is 90% of most peoples problems. I had issues like this with the stock genkernel config then I used an old config and all the problems went away.

Still genkernel should not be sold as an easier way to configure the kernel, most people installing gentoo dont have another computer next to them so they can browse the forums for help.


I'm sorry I must have misread that - did you say SHOULD NOT??? :?

I thought the whole point of genkernel was to take the pain out of sorting through the myriad of options in make menuconfig. When I first installed gentoo I used genkernel and was pleasantly surprised by how smooth things went. Now I'm upgrading to 2.6.1 (gentoo-dev-sources) and, after a few attempts at manual config, concluded I am still too much of a n00b and flew back to the open arms of genkernel. Now I find that genkernel ain't quite the forgiving soul it once was.

I am willing to give genkernel the benefit of the doubt because I am compiling a 2.6.1 kernel and anything that new is bound to have issues.

[Edit]Ok I give up. I've browsed through bugzilla and it's become clear there are some philosophical discussions going on about genkernel. Until Genkernel again reaches the level of 'out of the box'ness that it used to have I'll stick with my trusty old 2.4.20. Pity though - fluxbox under 2.6.1 was positively zipping along (although that may be because most of my services wouldn't load).

I am also looking to put Gentoo on my main box soon, using the Install guide. I will be interested to see whether I hit these same probs on the current 2.4 kernel.
[/Edit]

Cheers,

Allan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qeldroma
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Oct 2002
Posts: 370

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Initrd with Bootsplash w/o genkernel Reply with quote

After a struggle with the initrd-image to work correctly i gave up and made one myself.
Isn't very hard, though. Just take one of the dozends of HowTos for bootable CDs, there is initrd mostly integrated.

And then, just make following script:
Code:
qeldroma@florian qeldroma $ cat /sbin/mksplash
#!/bin/bash
echo "This script adds the bootsplash under /etc/bootsplash/default."
if [ $1 ]; then
    SPLASH_PATH="/etc/bootsplash/default/config"
    SPLASH_APP="/sbin/splash -s -f"
    for RESOLUTION in [800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200]; do
        if [ -f $SPLASH_PATH/bootsplash-$RESOLUTION.cfg ]; then
            $SPLASH_APP $SPLASH_PATH/bootsplash-$RESOLUTION.cfg >> $1
            echo "Applied Bootsplash for $RESOLUTION."
        fi
    done
else
    echo "No initrd-File specified."
fi


If you've got a symlink in /etc/bootsplash to the theme it should take, that should be all to do.

The parameter for this little script ist of course the initrd-file...


Last edited by qeldroma on Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum