Post-Installation Grub Config...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Post-Installation Grub Config... Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I am a proud new member of the Gentoo Community!

I just completed a stage-1 install, and installed Grub as my bootloader. I found out I entered some incorrect values for my WindowsXP option (I still have to dual-boot due to a need for flash...and my family :roll: ) and I need to reconfigure my grub.conf file. My question is simple...How do I edit this file from within Gentoo? I can't seem to find it. It is installed under my /boot partition, but I can't seem to get to it, and I don't know why. I am assuming/hoping this is something trivial that is right in front of my face. Thanks!
ColdFusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your grub config file can be found at /boot/grub/grub.conf IIRC.

so, to edit it (you need to be logged in as root) , open up a terminal and type:

Code:
 nano /boot/grub/grub.conf  :)

if you've not used nano before, it might be worth looking at the nano man pages :wink:
tmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the problem. The file is not there. If I try to edit via that path, nano opens up a new blank file named grub.conf. For the time being, when grub loads, what I do is edit the settings for windows on the spot, and it can than boot into windows, but it seems there is no way to save these settings, so that, everytime I need to boot to windows, I have to manually configure grub. There must be some way to edit this file, no?
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you followed the instructions, your /boot is not mounted at startup. Try 'mount /boot' . :wink: Welcome to Gentoo!
madtomkidd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you did things exactly the way the install doc says to, you have a "boot" directory that isn't mounted.
So, to access your /boot/grub/grub.conf file, you'll first need to do:
Code:

mount /dev/hda1 /boot
nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

and make your changes there.
tmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I fixed it. All I did was:

Code:
mount /boot
nano -w grub.conf

And that worked fine. Thanks for the help!
bushwacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way/should there be a mount for /boot in Gentoo? my /etc/fstab file's code relating to my boot part is:

Code:
/dev/hde1     /boot    ext2     noauto,noatime    1 2

My system works fine (as far as *this* issue is concerned @ least!) but I need to recompile a new working kernel. My first attempt (after taking a day of straight work to realize that i wasn't actually putting my files in a mounted /boot) FS panicked, though my grub.conf entry is the same as for my working kernel in terms of what partition and directory to find the files.

Am I just being ignorantly paranoid here, or is there actually something I"m missing?
Thanks in advance.
Anior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you should change that to:
Code:
/dev/hde1     /boot    ext2     noauto,noatime    1 1

From the manpage:
Code:
The  sixth  field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which
       filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root filesystem should  be  specified  with  a
       fs_passno  of  1,  and  other  filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a
       drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked at the
       same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware.  If the sixth field is not present
       or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to
       be checked.
Anior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.
Yes, the rest looks fins as far as I can tell. ;-)
robob4him
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Kernel Panic Reply with quote

Using the installation guide for x86s, everything was peachy until the restart. Then my "Kernel panic" message comes up about Vfs being unable to open the root device on my seventh partition (hda7, right?). I should mention that my grub.conf has the following line:

kernel /kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11 root=/dev/hda7 vga=792

The error mentions changing the "root=" command, but hda7 is my installation partition. I dual boot with XP and that works fine (XP is on my first partition).

What's wrong?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: