ALSA installed ok, laptop still muted.. need help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: ALSA installed ok, laptop still muted.. need help Reply with quote

I've got a hp nx7000 (centrino laptop) and ALSA is installed according to docs. Everything is loaded just fine during bootup, and amixer/alsamixer is working fine, no channels are muted, but I can't get any sound :(

I've got three "sound-buttons" - "increase sound", "decrease sound" and "mute/unmute" buttons, and the "mute sound" button has a LED which is lit when the sound is muted (at least in WinXP which the computer came preinstalled with..). And this LED is now lit.

Any suggestions?

Pressing the buttons doesn't help..

I've got some log output on vc12:
Pressing 'Volume up' results in: "keyboard: unknown scancode e0 30"
Pressing 'Volume down' results in: "keyboard: unknown scancode e0 2e"
Pressing 'Mute' results in: "keyboard: unknown scancode e0 20"

I guess these codes can be used to map the buttons to some commands for adjusting the sound? But then again it should be possible to lift the "hardware mute"...
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as mapping the keypress to the hardware function that seems to be screwing you, I don't really know. It would seem that a hardware function would be confined to hardware and not be screwed by an OS change, but I've always been naive and silly.

Xkb or a similar prog might be getting the keypress and reacting without allowing it to actually affect what is happening in the hardware. You might try xbindkeys to grab the scancode (mine all look like m:0 + c:230, not like what you are saying, and they probably aren't compatible in the keymap files) and then use, uh, xmodmap or xmodkeys (dammit, I can never keep it straight) to map the key to some null function "" or similar. That might possibly in a perfect world solve your problems...

Sorry I'm not more helpful :(
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a lead from the scandinavian forum on this one, will look into it and report back... but just to keep everyone else informed as well:

In german: http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s310349/cgi-bin/qwiki/bin/qwiki.pl?LinuxOnHpNx

Babelfish translation into english: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?tt=url&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stud.uni-goettingen.de%2F%7Es310349%2Fcgi-bin%2Fqwiki%2Fbin%2Fqwiki.pl%3FLinuxOnHpNx&lp=de_en

Update: Before I got around and read the webpage, I tried a amixer setting I was told about (from the same post in the scandinavian forum):
Code:
amixer set "External Amplifier Power Down" off

Now I got sound! :)

I also notised going into alsamixer, that muting/unmuting <External> (far right) toggled the mute led, so it was my own fault I didn't have any sound, since I unmuted every "channel" on alsamizer....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: