Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
bigun89 wrote:
I did, all I got was source download spots.

Really? So I guess the slashdot article linked in the top post of this thread is just a figment of my imagination!?

And I'm sure Slashdot will have screenshots posted along with a rating of the game along with user comments. Jesus man, just answer the question.

Is it fun? Is it a FPS? Sex simulator? What the hell is it? All I got out of that Slashdot article is that some old game's data files are now available.
googlyeyes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Groovy! Reply with quote

the download links posted earlier don't work anymore so try
marathon 2
Marathon Infinity

and this might work for marathon 1 but I haven't tested:
M1A1 for SDL v1.2
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigun89 wrote:
charlieg wrote:
bigun89 wrote:
I did, all I got was source download spots.

Really? So I guess the slashdot article linked in the top post of this thread is just a figment of my imagination!?

And I'm sure Slashdot will have screenshots posted along with a rating of the game along with user comments. Jesus man, just answer the question.

Is it fun? Is it a FPS? Sex simulator? What the hell is it? All I got out of that Slashdot article is that some old game's data files are now available.

Never heard of Google, huh?
CitizenX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've tried installing manually and by ebuild and I still get the same error...
Aleph One wont start and I get this in the ~/.alephone/Aleph One Log.txt :

Code:
while initializing fonts (sdl_fonts.cpp:61)
    Can't open font resource file (sdl_fonts.cpp:73)

Now does that mean I dont have some SDL library installed or that I've installed Aleph One incorrectly?
VSTM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised that the lastest AlephOne source is in portage. I emerged it, and everything seems fine, but has anyone ever figured out where the data is supposed to be? I've tried the default directory that the ebuild makes at /usr/share/games/AlephOne. Something interesting to note is that that directory contains directories named "Sounds" "Map", etc for all the data files. However the directories just contain empty files called ".keep." I tried putting the files inside the directories that share their names. I tried putting the files in /usr/share/games/AlephOne/Marathon2 and /usr/share/games/Alephone/Marathon2 as well as /usr/share/games/marathon2 and /usr/share/games/Marathon2. I tried putting the files /usr/local/games/AlephOne, which I think is where the documentation says they should go. I also tried doing the same thing with the alternating moving marathon2 directories.

None of that seems to work so I ran.

ALEPHONE_DATA=/usr/share/games/AlephOne/

and got the error message:
"Built with Lua scripting enabled.
Can't find required text strings (missing MML?)."

Needless to say this is more than a little bit annoying. I will probably try copying the data to ~/.alephone, and if that doesn't work I will just compile it myself as per these instructions. At least it compiled now. I added lua to my use keys...I didn't know I had to do that.
Enigma_Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:

Googling for "Marathon" isn't really any help.

The aleph one site basically only gives you the latest news, and content creation... but no sort of description as to _what_ it is.

It would be totally useful if people would pull the stick out of their anuses, and give a short description of WTF it is for those of us who haven't ever played it, and are having trouble finding info online (other than "download here" here's the new engine, here's some files).

-Jesse
VValdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enigma_Man wrote:
DarkStalker wrote:

Googling for "Marathon" isn't really any help.

The aleph one site basically only gives you the latest news, and content creation... but no sort of description as to _what_ it is.

It would be totally useful if people would pull the stick out of their anuses, and give a short description of WTF it is for those of us who haven't ever played it, and are having trouble finding info online (other than "download here" here's the new engine, here's some files).

-Jesse

Okay.. here you go.

Once upon a time, like 11 years ago, there was this company called Bungie. You may know them as the company that was bought by Microsoft and released a game for the X-Box called "Halo" and for the PC called "Myth", but this is before then. This was the days when like, Doom was all the rage, and Macintoshes had weird names like Performa and Centris. Bungie released a first person shooter, Marathon, for the Mac which was vastly superior to the first-person shooters of the time. It was revolutionary in several ways. For one thing, you could look up and down. For another, it actually had a story. And network play. And voice chat. I really don't remember the story too much, because my roommate at the time was the one who was *OBSESSED* with the game, who stayed up hours and hours on end, and told me about vivid dreams about wandering around on a space station trying to save the universe, stopping at video terminals to get clues as he was pursued by aliens carrying fireball-emitting staffs.

Anyway, if you had a Mac 'round then, you'll remember it and its creepy music and sound effects. That weird rattling sound the aliens make still creeps me out, just like "We gotcha!" from Dung Beetles in 1982 and "Achtung!" from Castle Wolfenstein.

That's it in a nutshell. Marathon is now considered a classic. The source for the game engine was released a couple years ago (I think it was right before MS bought 'em) and subsequently ported to Linux (Bungie had already ported iand released the sequel Marathon 2 and I think Marathon Infinity on PC too), and has been vastly improved. I doubt it was playable over TCP/IP originally-- maybe appletalk or something. I think the game content was what was recently released. So now you too can battle the evil forces of Durandal and party like it's 1994.

W
Enigma_Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the description!

For those that were having trouble compiling it... Try running opengl-update... I'm not exactly sure if that fixed it, but I tried the emerge last night, and failed with a similar error to what you were getting, and then ran opengl-update, because of other problems I was having with compiling another gl-based program.

Just for the halibut, I tried emerging alephone again this morning, and it worked.

-Jesse
VSTM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you synced it could be a new ebuild
Enigma_Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the guy that couldn't get the data files to work:

in the directory that has the folders "Sounds, Images" etc, replace all the directories with the sounds/images files from the zip. Only delete the directories that you're replacing, some of the other ones have stuff in them.

-Jesse
davebailey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Marathon eBuilds Submitted Reply with quote

See here-

Marathon 1
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=82908

Marathon 2
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=82910

Marathon Infinity
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=82912
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone has screenshots of a game
i saw some (possible from a different game), but i wanna make sure what it is
also wats the point of the game
awyeah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to get Marathon 1 working up until the point where the game loads. I get the HUD and can see the players gun, but it hangs there and my cpu locks on 100% usage.

The steps I took to get it working was:

# emerge alephone
$ unzip m1a1_sdl.zip
$ cp M1A1\ SDL/* ~/.alephone/
$ alephone

The game loads ok in both windowed and fullscreen, and I get the same lockup problem with software or opengl graphics.
awyeah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get it working =)

First I tried using the newest build from the offical website (AlephOne-20050321.tar.gz), but ran into the exact same issue as my previous post.

I then installed the following older version just to see how it goes, and well...its working now. The game plays perfect in software mode, but under OpenGL I get the same redness bug that other people have been reporting.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/marathon/aleph-20040417.tar.bz2

Heres some screenshots of the game in action.

http://www.eftel.com/~awyeah/m1a1-1.jpg
http://www.eftel.com/~awyeah/m1a1-3.jpg
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a hell of a time with the data files. I first got them in sit format!! then I got some off SDL-Alephone site which just dont seem to work with this version. Having seen the layout how does one install all three at once!!
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get anything working from the ebuild apart from it crashing as soon as I enter the game with the m1a1 files. On the others (infinity, marathon2) I got an SDL Parashute deployed.

Using the CVS I get a crash in exactly the same place but if I use the --no-sound option it works fine. Although Infinity and Marathon2 run perfect with sound.
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL just updated to the lates ebuild and after getting the data files *again* infinity and marathon now work and in opengl no less 8O . M1A1 still crashes in the same place :lol:
Sachankara
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works just fine here with OpenGL. It was actually simpler to install than I thought:
Code:
echo =games-fps/alephone-20060506-r1 ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
echo =games-fps/alephone-infinity-1 ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
emerge alephone alephone-infinity
export ALEPHONE_DATA=/usr/share/games/alephone-infinity/
:)
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, I enjoy these old games. Reminds me of Doom3 , with all of the enclosed space.
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity is only one of three marathon games. Marathon, Marathon II and Infinity the data for infinity is incuded for some reason but not the others.

http://source.bungie.org/get/ its the original marathon I can't get working.
tuppe666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version on bugzilla. Original marathon works with updated sdl-sound.
Sachankara
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuppe666 wrote:
New version on bugzilla. Original marathon works with updated sdl-sound.
Nice. I'll wait for it to hit portage, I just hate maintaining overlays. :P
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, I know. Just tried it out yesterday. Just grabbed the files. Had to emerge boost, which seems to be related to this lua sturr. Everything works, sound , graphics (opengl) etc.. I'm now playing Rubicon. Still no idea where to put the files if I want to play the Marathon versions.
I love this game (Marathon). Used to play it on my old Mac Performa back in ... :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: