Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XOrg 6.7.99.x / 6.8.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashtophet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredz pretty nasty error... graphic card && driver? with composite disabled things work... isn't it?

BNoise did you try don't load dri? did you try reemerging nvidia driver?
mani-man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brenden wrote:
mani-man wrote:
After I've upgraded to 6.8 everything takes so much longer to start. Anyone else that have the same problem? And if so, Is there a workaround?

Give running "fc-cache" a try.

Thanks! That did the trick!
Gentii
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg 6.8 and nvidia doesn't seem to run well. I had many crash on my new box, with firefox, beep-media-player and other stuff, screens go black, keyboard isn't active anymore, I had to reboot manually. It happens at least 10 times, then Damouse gave me the advice to recompile Xorg without CFLAGS, and great it works flawlessy now.
Yesterday, I did the same gentoo install on another box (nptl, 2.6 headers, gcc 3.4, ~x86) and still the same annoying crash. I just recompiled it without CFLAGS, and it works great now. I should say too that there is no noticeable difference with or without cflags, unless you make some benchmarks.
So what's wrong with CFLAGS and xorg 6.8 ? This gonna be fixed ?
The cflags I used was : -O2 -march=athlon-xp/pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer.
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add "-mno-sse2". SSE2 seems to be a bit unstable in gcc-3.4.x
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg 6.8.0 is a big black hole of problems, i can't run opengl etc etc.

It's very buggy :( i can't run old xorg.conf in this new, thunk i'll re-emerge old xorg!
Linux dune 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 16:47:29 WEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using it since .903 and have yet to see any bugs (not counting those related to COMPOSITE).
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well long time i use xorg, but last time i have update xorg, i start having many serious problems, first if i enable opengl i can´t log gnome as user, it simple crash! I can only with root lol, if i configure without opengl, it seems ok, but ... i need opengl!

Any one got problems with ati configuration ?
Linux dune 3.0.6-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Oct 27 16:47:29 WEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uggh. :( I've wasted a day and a half trying to get 6.8.0 working correctly. I finally went back to 6.7.0. Apparently I'm not the only one having troubles... :?

Are all these problems (and there are quite a few) due to bugs in 6.8.0 or are they the result of some poor patches? I'm tempted to install it without any of the patches that portage applies just to see what happens.

I just have a hard time believing that such buggy code would be a release version....
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
BNoise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galiza_ceive wrote:

BNoise did you try don't load dri? did you try reemerging nvidia driver?

If i remember right i did try that.
Ill try again in an hour or two.
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i used my ati conf into xorg.conf.

It's all oki, what is not oki is thi snew xorg! I was thinking that i was getting crazy, but now i see that many people having the same problems!
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd....

#fc-cache -f

results in

Fontconfig error: "local.conf", line 29: no element found

...and in local.conf, line 29 doesn't exist. Line 28 is the last line.

Any ideas?

[EDIT]

Never mind.....just needed to re-emerge fontconfig. All better now :P

Last edited by ck42 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin72594
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to 6.8.0 with an ati radeon 9200SE using the fglrx driver. My problem is that I can't just click on a window to raise it to the top. my WM is fluxbox and the only thing I've changed is upgrading to 6.8.0 from 6.7.*.

Another problem I'm having is that whenever I run "glxinfo" my computer locks up and i have to do a hard reboot with the button.

I'm using my tv-out as a second monitor and that's still working though. So I would assume the fglrx driver is at least kinda working.

If anyone has any ideas about any of these problems, just let me know and I'll play with them, thanks!

EDIT: one more thing, openoffice won't start, I don't think xscreensaver will either :?

Last edited by Kevin72594 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ghostn9e
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishB8 wrote:
...I just have a hard time believing that such buggy code would be a release version....

Have u ever heard of Windows? :wink:

and xorg (so far) has been quite stable, as long as the composite module isnt loaded, that is still considered buggy by the xorg devs.
but, i cant say the same for ATI users... ATI drivers suck ass!!
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostn9e wrote:
FishB8 wrote:
...I just have a hard time believing that such buggy code would be a release version....

Have u ever heard of Windows? :wink:

and xorg (so far) has been quite stable, as long as the composite module isnt loaded, that is still considered buggy by the xorg devs.
but, i cant say the same for ATI users... ATI drivers suck ass!!

Well i am an ati user! I have no problem in last xorg!

Why after update xorg, i have started having problems with xorg ?

That is my problem!
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredz wrote:
XMMS still no work in 6.8.0 release version when composite enabled in xorg.conf
and mplayer and xcompmgr still end up in a fight with xv rendering.

Same here with smpeg (gtv) => gtv crash always and X crash most of the time.
Problem stops when composite disabled. Strange enough: glmovie still works! :?
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there again, i have improved xorg, but there's one thing i wnat and i can't solve, i need to load dri for ati opengl :

Code:
 glxinfo |grep direct
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

and that's a problem if i uncomment dri xorg becames unstable, many problems such as glxinfo crash, can't login with regular user etc.

Any one solved this problem i need 3d accelaration.
dhalsiim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used xorg 6.8.0 for 2 days I have confirmed that several of my programs that hard lock/freeze my computer are becaue of xorg 6.8.0. Namely; gaim and xffm (xfce4 file manager).

I re-emerged xorg 6.7.0-r2 and everything is back to normal, no lockups, no X crashing etc.

Some people are having problems with gcc 3.4 when using -march=pentium4 (which implies sse2, and which therefore, causes crashes). I haven't tested that using xorg 6.8.0 without sse2, and therefore if anyone is willing to do so please report back ^^.

I just wanted to let anyone know that xorg was the culprit here.
Thank you.
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhalsiim wrote:
Having used xorg 6.8.0 for 2 days I have confirmed that several of my programs that hard lock/freeze my computer are becaue of xorg 6.8.0. Namely; gaim and xffm (xfce4 file manager).

I re-emerged xorg 6.7.0-r2 and everything is back to normal, no lockups, no X crashing etc.

Some people are having problems with gcc 3.4 when using -march=pentium4 (which implies sse2, and which therefore, causes crashes). I haven't tested that using xorg 6.8.0 without sse2, and therefore if anyone is willing to do so please report back ^^.

I just wanted to let anyone know that xorg was the culprit here.
Thank you.

You problably are an ati user or you have load dri cooment that and xorg stop freezing.

I am at the momment tryng to compile dri from kernel and see what happens!

I don't know if it's a ati problem or dri external problem or xorg problem!
dhalsiim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right. I'm an ATI user, and using the kernel provided (2.6.9) drm and radeon drivers. I will try commenting #load dri and #load glx, but I can't do that today. Lots of restarts for 1 day I need to do some work :(.

And it would suck to not be able to use drm, because then all my videos would get fux0red in mplayer >_<;
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: it's a ati driver error Reply with quote

Well i have xorg working right now, it's a Ati driver problem i guess, i add to put dri options in kernel and then run xorgconfig, then uncomment dri glx and mode dri ...

It's working fine, but fglrx in games give me more 30 fps ...

well i will wait for next ati drivers!
Code:

glxinfo |grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Stuart_Gilbert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, after reading this, and being an ATI user I don't think it's worth my time trying over and over... I've tried twice now and been thwarted both times.

The first time stuff just plain didn't work, and it all locked up, so I had to hard-reboot.

The second time (today) I couldn't emerge the new ati-drivers because my version of xorg was too new... WTF?

Do I even need to bother with the ati-drivers at all?

Could I just use the new xorg (presuming it works at all) without emerging the latest ati-drivers?

I'm using fglrx at the moment, and things are ... Well, things are pretty shitty. I can't play DVDs and I can't get my TV-Out working no matter how many things I try. So, is it really worth trying xorg 6.8.0?

Is it worth getting a different video card instead?

Blah, it's so confusing and annoying.
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart_Gilbert wrote:
Ugh, after reading this, and being an ATI user I don't think it's worth my time trying over and over... I've tried twice now and been thwarted both times.

The first time stuff just plain didn't work, and it all locked up, so I had to hard-reboot.

The second time (today) I couldn't emerge the new ati-drivers because my version of xorg was too new... WTF?

Do I even need to bother with the ati-drivers at all?

Could I just use the new xorg (presuming it works at all) without emerging the latest ati-drivers?

I'm using fglrx at the moment, and things are ... Well, things are pretty shitty. I can't play DVDs and I can't get my TV-Out working no matter how many things I try. So, is it really worth trying xorg 6.8.0?

Is it worth getting a different video card instead?

Blah, it's so confusing and annoying.

I have working with no bugs xorg, it's a dri problem and something with fglrx too.

If you have Radeon cards you can try with no problems, but you will lost many fps in games, cuz you have to put go into your kernel config and enable dri.

then you have to xorgconfig, and choose your card generic ...

then it's works fine.

it's a problem of Ati Drivers or some uncompatible with them.
nvidia user's doesn't seem to have many problems.

How to:

/usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
Code:

<M> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)                                                                               │ │
  │ │                                      < >   ALI chipset support                                                                                    │ │
  │ │                                      < >   ATI chipset support                                                                                    │ │
  │ │                                      < >   AMD Irongate, 761, and 762 chipset support                                                             │ │
  │ │                                      < >   AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support                                                               │ │
  │ │                                      < >   Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support                                                      │ │
  │ │                                      < >   Intel i865 chipset support                                                                             │ │
  │ │                                      < >   NVIDIA nForce/nForce2 chipset support                                                                  │ │
  │ │                                      < >   SiS chipset support                                                                                    │ │
  │ │                                      < >   Serverworks LE/HE chipset support                                                                      │ │
  │ │                                      <M>   VIA chipset support                                                                                    │ │
  │ │                                      < >   Transmeta Efficeon support                                                                             │ │
  │ │                                      [*] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)                                          │ │
  │ │                                      < >   3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+                                                                                  │ │
  │ │                                      < >   3dlabs GMX 2000                                                                                        │ │
  │ │                                      < >   ATI Rage 128                                                                                           │ │
  │ │                                      <M>   ATI Radeon                                     

/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6:

Code:
agpgart
via-agp
radeon

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code:
# Device configured by xorgconfig:

# This loads the GLX module
    Load       "glx"
# This loads the DRI module
    Load       "dri"

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Driver      "radeon"
    VendorName "ATI"
    BoardName "ATI Radeon 9200 SE"
    BusID "1:0:0"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
    Option "BackingStore" "on"
    Option "no_accel"     "no"
    Option "CenterMode"   "on"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
 EndSection

and voilá

Code:
glxinfo |grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

This is a quick solution for those who want 3d accel. but with many fps lost for gamer users.

Wait for new ati drivers, 3.12 is out there, soon they will be in emerge list :) i hope ...
Paranoid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to disappointment you Mythos but ati-drivers-3.12 don't work with 6.8.
Mythos
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem i have solved temporaly my problem using dri from kernel and agpgart :)

Ati promisse that at the end of the year thwy will have good drivers lol, let me believe it's truth lol

here is my experience with new xorg, and transparency.
one complain this is a litle bit slow ...

xcompmgr -c ride on !

[img:f2b24f4412]http://kwisatz.no.sapo.pt/desktop.jpg[/img:f2b24f4412]

http://kwisatz.no.sapo.pt/desktop.jpg
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to share a fact I found worked for me.

Using the radeon driver (not fglrx) - I found 6.8 very slow with xcompmgr active, and somewhat buggy with shadows enabled.

This was using the 2.6.7 kernel.

Upgrading to the 2.6.8-r3 kernel gave me a big speed increase and improved the stability with shadows on.

I'm guessing the radeon driver in 2.6.8 is a lot better then the 2.6.7 one.

Maybe this'll help someone else :)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 43 of 46

Jump to: