Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Forums are slow as snail in a tarpit
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wilburpan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 977

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
We have some new hardware coming on line in the next two weeks which should help (if not totally alleviate) the speed issues. If that doesn't help, we may look into archiving/pruning older posts as well.

--kurt

I, for one, wouldn't mind at all if OTW was heavily pruned/archived, if it would improve forums performance.
_________________
I'm only hanging out in OTW until I get rid of this stupid l33t ranking.....Crap. That didn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gherald2
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Jul 2003
Posts: 326
Location: Madison, WI USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writing this in vim as I wait for the index to load... It seems 503s, Connection: close, and 60 second load times are becomming all too common as of late.

Just what kind of hardware are these forums hosted on?

I'd be more than happy to donate $50 or so if it would help get this onto a few Opterons! :)
klieber wrote:
We have some new hardware coming on line in the next two weeks which should help (if not totally alleviate) the speed issues. If that doesn't help, we may look into archiving/pruning older posts as well.

Could you be more specific or is there a mailing list I should be paying attention to? I'm assuming this is all discussed openly somewhere, unless the hardware is oregon state's...
_________________
Unregistered Linux User #17598363
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QuaffAPint
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Jan 2003
Posts: 82
Location: Downingtown, PA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thought of whether it was phpBB not being able to handle the load? I really don't know if something like vBulletin would work better or not, but I'll gladly toss in the first donation for a license (I know kinda against the whole open source thing, but at least it runs PHP :wink:).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zarhan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Posts: 924

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Just like 15 minutes ago the forums decided to stop responding completely. In the middle of posting. Lost my message and I had to write it again (hitting reload after the board came back up 10 minutes later caused an error message). It would have been nice to even get a standard SQL error instead of complete death.

On the other hand, there has not been *slowness* for a while...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
Great. ... Lost my message
Did you try using the browser "back" button? Haven't had that fail on me yet.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zarhan
l33t
l33t


Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Posts: 924

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Zarhan wrote:
Great. ... Lost my message
Did you try using the browser "back" button? Haven't had that fail on me yet.


I did. I also assumed that it would work, but due to Murphy's law, not this time around :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattjgalloway
l33t
l33t


Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Posts: 761
Location: Coventry, UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums are extremely slow for me these days too!

Is the mySQL table for phpbb optimised? It might have a lot of temporary data lying around slowing the whole thing down...
_________________
AMD64 3200+, 1024MB RAM, Gentoo Linux
MacBook Core Duo, 1024MB RAM, Leopard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minox
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Posts: 188
Location: Germany / Munich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

also for me. It really seems to be that the huge mass of posts is slowing down the forum. For category listings i've to wait half a minute. And it's not a ISP related thing.

Maybe purge older ones, another time?

Kind regards,
_________________
:!: proud to be 100% M$ free :!:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deathwing00
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 4079
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minox wrote:
Greetings,

also for me. It really seems to be that the huge mass of posts is slowing down the forum. For category listings i've to wait half a minute. And it's not a ISP related thing.

Maybe purge older ones, another time?

Kind regards,


We never purge any threads/posts as they usually contain useful data.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pink
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 1062

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to say the new hardware hasn't made a blind bit of differnce.

It is now 1600hrs GMT (more or less) and for most afternoons it is very difficult to get on to the forums. How am I posting this then you may ask! Well, After some time of trying and trying again I have managed to get on to the forums and went straight to 'my posts' and found this thread as I had posted before. I have tried to reply in the afternoons before but it really is sheer chance if the post gets through or if I can view the next page in 'posts since last visit'.

We'll see if this gets through. I have stopped doing previews on my posts as I know I'll be pushing my luck at any time of the day to do a couple of previews and then post it.

I absolutely love Gentoo and the forums are excellent (you can also vote for them LinuxFormat's poll as a great source of info on linux along with google!!!) But this really does make it difficult.

Sorry if I am moaning, but it is very frustrating when the only place I visit that is slow or non-accessible is the Gentoo forums.

Anyway, that's my little rant out of the way. Does the US get up between 1400-1800hrs GMT? That might explain it. :?
_________________
usefuljaja.com - VPS Tutorials
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:

We never purge any threads/posts as they usually contain useful data.


Then we'd be safe purging and shutting down OTW.

Unless you consider debates on the merits of allowing ex-neo-Nazi lesbian U.F.O. abductee amputees to adopt useful data.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deathwing00
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 4079
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pythonhead wrote:
Deathwing00 wrote:

We never purge any threads/posts as they usually contain useful data.


Then we'd be safe purging and shutting down OTW.

Unless you consider debates on the merits of allowing ex-neo-Nazi lesbian U.F.O. abductee amputees to adopt useful data.


Personally I think they have their purpose, if not related to support at all. Psyche :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 May 2003
Posts: 2767

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:
Personally I think they have their purpose, if not related to support at all. Psyche :)
Yup! :D Removing OTW would lead to unimaginable sandbox violations!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TJNII
l33t
l33t


Joined: 09 Nov 2003
Posts: 637
Location: for(;;);

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's running mildly slow for me too (IA, USA). More of a nuisance, though. I can still fully access the forums, but it may take a minute or two for the site to load.

I vote for serious OTW pruneage, also. As the mods have stated on oh so many occasions, "This is a support forum."
_________________
Maintaining documentation on upgrades is apparently not within the power of Gentoo
Beware when you emerge -u world!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deathwing00
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 4079
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have experienced is an excess of users probably or a bandwidth problem. It is improbable that it was a CPU problem as the host was upgraded recently. Your arguments are refused, at least for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Posts: 1560
Location: +48° 5' 23.40", -119° 48' 30.00"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:
What you have experienced is an excess of users probably or a bandwidth problem.


So can the OTW peeps be pruned? :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:
Your arguments are refused, at least for me.


See? You're only saying that because I voted "yes" on lesbian amputee rights in that OTW poll.

Seriously though, I don't think we'd lose anything worthwhile if we pruned OTW posts older than 30/60 whatever days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deathwing00
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 4079
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pythonhead wrote:
Deathwing00 wrote:
Your arguments are refused, at least for me.


See? You're only saying that because I voted "yes" on lesbian amputee rights in that OTW poll.

Seriously though, I don't think we'd lose anything worthwhile if we pruned OTW posts older than 30/60 whatever days.


Even if you do not believe it, we use that forum for support questions related to other distributions. Apart from that, keep in mind that this is in fact a community and people needs to comunicate and express ideas. We are (presumably) not a serious corporation which focuses only in profitable-only matters. OTW threads are still worthwhile, as usually there appear ideas. Let me recall that OpenSource came out from an idea ;)

In last resort, this is probably an admin decission.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deathwing00
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 4079
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, from gentoo-dev mailing list:

Quote:


Alex Polvi <polvi@gentoo.org> to Nick, gentoo-dev
More options 2:24am (7 hours ago)

> Sorry not sure who else to tell, but when i go to forums.gentoo.org I
> get:
>
> phpBB : Critical Error
>
> Could not connect to the database

Yep -- the db went down. Fixed now. Sorry about the interruption.

-ap

--
Alex Polvi :: Gentoo Linux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Jun 2004
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also slows down when there are a lot of user browsing the forums at once

this is down to the forum software

Its not really a wise choice using phpbb just because its open source
It also lacks some things that make it harder to navigate

the search facility on it isn;t that good
ie i can't search thread titles only full posts
and i can't search within threads

I suggest using Invision powerboard as it is the fastest forum software with some of the best features its got a free unlimited trial so in effect you could use it for free forever :P

if you wish to purchase a licence i'd be willing to help with costs :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deathwing00
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 4079
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msimplay wrote:
it also slows down when there are a lot of user browsing the forums at once

this is down to the forum software

Its not really a wise choice using phpbb just because its open source
It also lacks some things that make it harder to navigate

the search facility on it isn;t that good
ie i can't search thread titles only full posts
and i can't search within threads

I suggest using Invision powerboard as it is the fastest forum software with some of the best features its got a free unlimited trial so in effect you could use it for free forever :P

if you wish to purchase a licence i'd be willing to help with costs :)


That is not viable in my point of view.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klieber
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 17 Apr 2002
Posts: 3657
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msimplay wrote:
it also slows down when there are a lot of user browsing the forums at once

this is down to the forum software


No, actually it isn't. At this point, we're looking at mysql at the possible cause. (specifically, the size of some of the tables in our database in relation to mysql)

Anyway, we're aware of and working on the problem.

--kurt
_________________
The problem with political jokes is that they get elected
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pink
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 1062

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
No, actually it isn't. At this point, we're looking at mysql at the possible cause. (specifically, the size of some of the tables in our database in relation to mysql)

Anyway, we're aware of and working on the problem.

--kurt


Wow, that is excellent news, I have had some more slowdown this morning but it was manageable, after this post (1330 GMT) I will leave browsing the forums until the evening.

However, many thanks to everyone's efforts. You may only hear the moans but the effort is appreciated. :D
_________________
usefuljaja.com - VPS Tutorials
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:

Even if you do not believe it, we use that forum for support questions related to other distributions.


I beleive you. I don't see why we should use our sparse resources to support other distributions, but thats a better use than 99% of the posts I see OTW being used for.

Quote:

Apart from that, keep in mind that this is in fact a community and people needs to comunicate and express ideas. We are (presumably) not a serious corporation which focuses only in profitable-only matters. OTW threads are still worthwhile, as usually there appear ideas. Let me recall that OpenSource came out from an idea ;)

In last resort, this is probably an admin decission.


I don't think we're a corporation of any kind at the moment and if anyone is focusing on profit then thats news to me. (I don't think we are even capable of accepting monetary donations at the moment?)
[EDIT] We do have NFP status now.

OTW has the largest numbers of posts. If we could search individual forums and bypass those 200,000+ posts, no problem.

I have no problem if we have a forum for Open Source related discussion, but an all-out anything-goes forum archived forever is a waste.

How about a forum for non-Gentoo Open Source discussions, and and an OTW forum that could be pruned monthly.

If the forums worked great and we actually did have money to do fun stuff like OTW, I wouldn't even bring it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Posts: 4836
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pythonhead wrote:
OTW has the largest numbers of posts. If we could search individual forums and bypass those 200,000+ posts, no problem.

You can search individual forums. What you cannot do, though, is to exclude one or more forums from the search. Thus, if you want to search for threads in P&P and K&H, say, you have to search twice. Once in P&P, once in K&H.
_________________
Please read our FAQ Forum, it answers many of your questions.
irc: #gentoo-forums on irc.freenode.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum