[solved]Kernel freezes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ylin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: [solved]Kernel freezes Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm just another one whose machine freezes in midwork without any reason, as it seems.
I've tried many things, but i dont know, what to do as none of those things have changed anything.

For an example, I'm surfing in the internet, just having finished an email, want to klick the "send"-button and the mouse stops moving and nothing helps than the reset-button. And that regularly mess up my data, e.g. bookmarks or once it even broke emerge.

I've searched this forum, though, but all who got a similar problem didn't really find a solution. The problem just disappeared after a reinstall or just from one day to another. And those solutions that were suggested didn't help me.

I'm using an Athlon XP 2800+, an IDE IBM harddisk, 1024 mb ram.
The kernel is the gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.4-r1.

I'm trying to get my config on the webspace later.

Last edited by Ylin on Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a hardware related problem to me. You could try to disable ACPI (I suppose it's on) and see if that helps...
hinken
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I had the same problem with random hangs.....but I finally managed to get a solid system (6 days uptime no random freezes).

I have a nforce2+AMD combo with a Nvidia gfx-card

Some help along the away(in a random order)

0. test your ram and check your cpu temp.
1. Upgrade Bios to the latest version.(Especially if having a nforce2 chipset)
2. Use the nvidia-drivers from nvidia site(not portage),if having a nvidia-gfx-card.
3. Use the nforce2-kernel-patch(if having a nforce2) (I use latest love-sources wich includes it)

4. boot with append="pci=noacpi noapic noacpi=yes"
5. Try to remove any external drives (I had a firewire-disk issue wich freezed my system when copying large-files to/from my external drive)
6. try different kernels(/versions). (newer is not allways better)

Good luck!

Edited some spelling and correct lilo boot option
Ylin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helena wrote:
Sounds like a hardware related problem to me. You could try to disable ACPI (I suppose it's on) and see if that helps...

Don't think so. As other distros did indeed run without those hangs, and they were on exactly the same hd in excactly the same place. Though it's for sure the machine crashes wenn I do a hdparm timing test for the harddisc. And ACPI and all other powermanagement is out of the kernel, because I read of some cases where this was the thing.

And on a former installation I hab genkernel installed first. But those kernels made by genkernel were stable and didn't crash. Even if I used the same config file on a selfbuild one, it crashed. But all of those 2.6er kernels crashed, when I wanted to unmerge some versions of the gentoo-dev-sources I didn't need any longer. Just the gaming-sources 2.4.20-r3 or something like that from the 1.4 live cd didn't crash on that task.

@hinken

Using nforce2 as well. On an Asus Board - it's the a7n8x deluxe.

This time my installation worked fine for some time. But suddenly the crashes are back. :(
I'll try some things you've said.

Here ist my kernel-config. Maybe somebody finds somthing crucial I have missed. :?
Ylin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it was that nforce2 bug or how to call it. Now running 2.6.5-love4 flawlessly. :)8)
But are those bootoptions about noacpi=yes and noapic etc. still needed, when I'm using love-sources? Currently I'm running with that append.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: