View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: [ebuild] OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 w/ KDE widget integration Reply with quote

I made a new ebuild for OOo after finding on dot.kde.org that the KDE team released a binary package of OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 that uses the Native Widget Framework to emulate KDE's look and feel. This binary package includes OOo 1.1.1, KDE widget emulation, and KDE-ish icons to match. This is my first ebuild (based off the official openoffice-bin ebuild of course), but it seems to work well enough. Just don't expect this thing to be stable, as both the ebuild and the program build are probably rather shaky. Hopefully you people can have some fun with it as it seems pretty spiffy :D

The ebuild currently blocks both openoffice and openoffice-bin, and it also requires qt/kde.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0d8wx/openoffice-kde-bin-1.1.1.ebuild.txt
(make sure to remove the '.txt' at the end of the filename)

Also, here's a screenshot if anybody wants to see how it looks on a gentoo desktop:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0d8wx/oo-kde.png

Note: In the portage tree, make sure to copy the 'ooffice-wrapper-1.3' file from /usr/portage/apps-office/openoffice-bin/files/1.1.1/ to .../openoffice-kde-bin/files/1.1.1 in your portage overlay directory. If you don't, you won't be able to start OOo using the entries in /usr/bin.
lrandall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're quite quick. I came here after the announcement on the dot to see if anyone had tried it out , and already there is an ebuild! Thanks a lot.

Will try it out when I get home later...
Turiya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: [ebuild] OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 w/ KDE widget integration Reply with quote

Hmm, I can't get it to work. it exits with:

Code:

Initializing installation program.................ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 25529, errno = 0
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 25569, errno = 0
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-kde-bin-1.1.1/temp/sv001.tmp/setup.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstartup-notification-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: app-office/openoffice-kde-bin-1.1.1 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 93, Exitcode 127
!!! The setup program failed

Any Idea, why this could be?
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, it looks like I might've forgotten an dependency in the ebuild? I'll see what's up when I get home.

EDIT: Yup, looks like I forgot to add the startup-notification library as a dependency. The ebuild is updated now.
Turiya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zez wrote:
Odd, it looks like I might've forgotten an dependency in the ebuild? I'll see what's up when I get home.

EDIT: Yup, looks like I forgot to add the startup-notification library as a dependency. The ebuild is updated now.

Doh!
Yep you are right. I needed x11-libs/startup-notification.
I thought libstartup-notification must be some kind of internal lib.

I didn't even consider the possibilty that it might be a package.

Thanks for your help and the ebuild. OOo looks much nicer now :)

Fabio
Thalion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't download the ebuild or view the screenshot - it keeps telling me "connection refused". Or is it because too many people are trying to get it? =)
F16PilotJumper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing. I have my own, already-compiled version of OOo 1.1.1 installed...is there any way to do this from source, or modify what i already have to use it?
PieterB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there problems (block) with ximian-openoffice? Because a version for kde and one specially for gnome would be nice....

I will try the ebuild now ;-)
LinuxUser: #310384
SPW
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This is amazing. I always wanted OOo to have the look and feel of KDE. Your screenshot looks fabulous. I hope future versions of OOo will integrate well with KDE (the NWF -Native Widget Framework- project sounds interesting) when you have kde in your use flags. But this is a nice starting point. Well done zez! :P
I'm currently downloading OOo_1.1.1-1_kde_LinuxIntel_Install.tar.gz
I hope that it will work

EDIT: it works! but when using Keramik theme it looks less well integrated than with Plastik. Hopefully it will be able to adapt to the chosen theme one day... :lol:
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, can't wait to use it!
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ebuild works fine for me. Have you considered submitting it to bugs.gentoo.org?

I do notice one thing -- both in your screenshot and on my computer, it looks as if the fonts used for the OpenOffice menus are smaller than the menu fonts for other KDE apps. Any idea why?
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I think OOo still handles fonts somewhat on its own as it doesn't actually use QT for the interface, just emulates the look. There's a way to overwrite the interface font if you want to change it (there's a howto on www.openoffice.org somewhere).

Maybe if not many bugs crop up in the ebuild, I'll submit to bugs.gentoo.org.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zez wrote:
Yea, I think OOo still handles fonts somewhat on its own as it doesn't actually use QT for the interface, just emulates the look. There's a way to overwrite the interface font if you want to change it (there's a howto on www.openoffice.org somewhere).

It doesn't emulate the look-- it uses Qt to draw the widgets, but not the text labels yet...
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
zez wrote:

It doesn't emulate the look-- it uses Qt to draw the widgets, but not the text labels yet...

Err, yeah, what shm said. I was thinking more along the lines that OOo-kde isn't written as a native QT application, but works more like the GTK-QT theme engine on KDE-Look.

As far as fonts go, the old UI font-replacement trick doesn't even seem to work anymore, but going into OOo's options, you can tell it to scale the UI by a certain percentage under the View tab. Setting scale to 110% makes the menu/UI font size match the rest of KDE on my setup. It's not very graceful but I guess it works well enough.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
I do notice one thing -- both in your screenshot and on my computer, it looks as if the fonts used for the OpenOffice menus are smaller than the menu fonts for other KDE apps. Any idea why?

Perhaps time to report it on issuezilla ( http://www.openoffice.org/project_issues.html ).. under component 'kde'
SPW
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this ebuild is really good enough to be included in portage. There may be some issues, but it should be included as a "masked" package.
SPW
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who complain about too small fonts: Open OOo and go to "Tools -> Options -> Openoffice.org -> View -> Display -> Scale"
I set mine to 150% and now fonts are as big as normal KDE fonts :)

EDIT: I reread this thread once again and saw that I overlooked the fact that zez had already given this advice too :oops:

Last edited by SPW on Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very cool addition to KDE now, even if it's not 100% done it still looks very good.

The only problem I'm having is with only having a binary pacakge, and not a source package. I've yet to learn how to make my own ebuilds, and with four AP tests coming up in two weeks, this really isn't the time for me to learn. I've noticed that with the binary only package, it takes MUCH longer to load than when I compiled OOo sepcifically for my machine. Sure, it took two days, but it's worth it for me.

So, my only request for this is that a source ebuild be made too. If no one can do it in about three weeks, I guess it'll be as good a time as any to learn a bit about portage and ebuilds.
SPW
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the binary OOo with KDE widgets is MUCH slower than ordinary OOo compiled from source. But I think this has less to do with the fact that it's a binary than with KDE implementation which makes it slower. Because I have always used OOo binaries instead of compiling from source, because I have not noticed a speed increase and compiling OOo is a pain.
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading through bugs.gentoo.org and saw that the gentoo devs expect the Native Widget Framework to be included in future releases of OpenOffice.org, making this ebuild more of a stop-gap. In this light, this ebuild probably shouldn't be included in portage because it would demand a whole new application-entry which would only be useful for maybe a few months until the newer of OOo come out. Eventually this ebuild shouldn't even be needed because everyone will be able to get this same functionality out of the regular openoffice/openoffice-bin ebuilds.

And yea, the speed in this build is noticibly slower than even the 1.1.0-bin release. I don't mind too much as it's still a work in progress.

Finally, on dot.kde.org they had a link to this page if you want to compile from source:

http://kde.openoffice.org/kde-icons/index.html#download
SPW
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...
I don't think that it will make a big difference to compile from source, and it will take hours and hours.
Even if your ebuild will not be needed for future versions of OOo, it was still very nice and helpful for some people. I'm glad to have a nicer OOo now.
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome - the ebuild works fine here. It is noticably slower than the old OpenOffice (I was using the openoffice-bin ebuild before) but it looks so much nicer with other things on the desktop.
romvinot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zez :
And how will it be integrated to the standard OpenOffice ebuild ? Will it use the "kde" USE flags ? Will it be available also in the binary ebuild ? Do you have any timeframe ?
(Yes, lots of questions).
romvinot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the entry in bugzilla. Not a lot of info right now :
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44425
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an ebuild that adds GTK+ through NWF? I haven't seen one around yet :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: