View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: QT keeps segfaulting... Reply with quote

I'm trying to update world, but keep getting stuck on QT. It keeps segfaulting during the compile. The only thing radical I have done was recompile glibc with nptl in the use flags. So maybe gcc needs to be updated or something I don't know... I don't know too much about nptl. Anyone else get this?

Quote:
g++ -fno-exceptions -Wl,-rpath,/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/image//usr/qt/3/lib -shared -Wl,-soname,libqui.so.1 -Wl,-rpath,/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/lib -o libqui.so.1.0.0 .obj/release-shared-mt/qwidgetfactory.o .obj/release-shared-mt/domtool.o .obj/release-shared-mt/uib.o .obj/release-shared-mt/database.o .obj/release-shared-mt/moc_database2.o -L/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lqt-mt -lmng -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXi -lXrender -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXinerama -lXft -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lXext -lX11 -lm -lSM -lICE -ldl -lpthread
ln -s libqui.so.1.0.0 libqui.so
ln -s libqui.so.1.0.0 libqui.so.1
ln -s libqui.so.1.0.0 libqui.so.1.0
rm -f ../../../lib/libqui.so.1.0.0
rm -f ../../../lib/libqui.so
rm -f ../../../lib/libqui.so.1
rm -f ../../../lib/libqui.so.1.0
mv -f libqui.so.1.0.0 libqui.so libqui.so.1 libqui.so.1.0 ../../../lib/
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/tools/designer/uilib'
cd designer && make -f Makefile
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/tools/designer/designer'
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/plugins listboxeditor.ui -o listboxeditor.h
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/plugins editfunctions.ui -o editfunctions.h
make[3]: *** [listboxeditor.h] Segmentation fault
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: *** [editfunctions.h] Segmentation fault
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/tools/designer/designer'
make[2]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/tools/designer'
make[1]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.2/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.2/tools'
make: *** [sub-tools] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.2.2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 131, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

I've tried with really conservative cflags, and that does not seem to help. (-mcpu=athlon -O2)
Imrahil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue. What a headache. Seems QT has problems with nptl. I just recompiled glibc w/o nptl and recompiled QT. Not much really benefits from nptl now anyway, maybe sun's jdk if you compile from source.
arran4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same, but i dont htink i got nptl compiled in, how would i check?
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem... But I have no idea how to compile gcc without ntp1 support - or indeed even what it is... Nonetheess, it's nice to know I'm not alone. If you know how to get over this, please let us know...

quark67
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did eventually get it compiled, although I have no idea why or how. Nptl is still in my use flags, and I don't think I did anything crazy other than restarting.
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whatever it is i don't have it in my useflags... What exactly is it? Perhaps i should include it after all?

Q
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm... M'kay...Well the same thing happend to me... How weird is that? You seem to have to compile QT twice to get it to work... That's nuts man...

I'd still like to know what this thing was though...

quark67
Imrahil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quark67 wrote:
Erm... M'kay...Well the same thing happend to me... How weird is that? You seem to have to compile QT twice to get it to work... That's nuts man...

I'd still like to know what this thing was though...

quark67

I don't know if that is the case, man. I tried compiling qt at least three times and tried older versions as well. My glibc with nptl was to blame it seems. I recompiled glibc without the nptl and then qt compiled fine. My system is pretty bleeding edge, though. Using ~x86, kernel mm-sources2.6, gcc3.3. YMMV
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well you could have still just got lucky like we did... I still don't know what this ntpt1 (or whatever... sorry I'm using lynx and don't want to use the back button) really is. I don't have it in my use flags and I have never seen it listed in Gentoo's official use flags listings.

I'm just glad I got past it is all... Although like the last poster, I did nothing at all (other than try twice) to fix the problem.

It kind of confirms for me just how messed up some of these Gentoo packages really are.

Sorry, but its true. Try emeging any large package and there is a 60% probability that it will fail at some point.

I guess we can only hope that this situation improves over time.

quark67
arran4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah strangly i have been able to fix a package simply by trying to emerge it 3 or 4 times, but i haven't tried doing QT again (ran out of hdd space, 2gb is NOT enough for genoo lol)
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, now I seem to have a very odd 'compile twice' bug.... First time round most big packages will fail (and generally at exactly the same points discussed by others on this forum). However the second time round the package will compile without a hitch.

If you want to blame hardware for this then fair enough, but every other major Linux distribution works on this system without a glitch - and it doesn;t explain how these faults are repeatable with other peope on the forum.

Out of interest, which platform are you guys using..? I keep hearing of folks who have no problems at all (usually developers) So (at a stretch) maybe the platform has something to do with it?

For the record I am using a non-overclocked Athlon-xp 2600+.

Quark67
Tobbi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem too. Haven't tried recompiling qt yet then.
CPU: XP1800+
I'm using nptl.
Kernel: development-sources-2.6.0-test7-bk5.
As a sidenote, mplayer also segfaults when playing .avi and .mp3. I also tried to remerge mplayer, but it still segfaults.

Tobbi
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm... Well that's two XPs, it's a start I guess.... Personally I'm suffering from a serious case of 'compile twice syndrome', if something doesn't compile the first time round, it is pretty much guranteed it will the second time round. I would dearly love the developers to tell me what causes this...

Nonetheless, that's the best advice I can offer; if it doesn't compile the first time, try again.

As for your MPlayer issues, they are probably unrelated. Maybe some folks in Multimedia could help with that?

Q
arran4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just going to use the precompiled binary suppilied on the cd for QT, cant get around the seg faults :S
ben_h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue with large compiles on my box (P4 1.8GHz), but when I did OpenOffice on a mate's box (XP1700), it failed the first time. Worked when I retried it.

Something funny's going on :?
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you ask me, I think a lot of the Athlon packages are screwed... That is of course, if there is such a thing as athlon packages.

I think I am leaning towrads this conclusion now... The people who say they have no problems have pentiums, the people who say they do have athlons.... Someone ought to put up a poll/sticky to investigate this further...

Q
longshot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also getting failures in large emerges, and qt 3.2.2 is one of them.

I'm currently trying to upgrade kde 3.1.3->3.1.4, and more generally a stage 3 live cd installation, the last week and its proving slow going. My last gentoo install went more smoothly, although I did see some issues (crud in /var/portage somehow).

I found stuff in /var/portage which was just wrong (and I deleted), like

/var/portage/-MANIFEST(something)

I've been suspecting disk errors, and memory errors. I've dropped down to trying to ebuild compile. I'm seeing that some of the ebuild scripts retry to compile a source file twice if it fails first time around with a random segmentation violation in the compiler. With a two time failure I get told its probably a hardware error.

I seem to be getting some disk errors reported from fsck. But I've been there are fixed that, and it seems to be cyclic. I'm about to go through another cycle of checking with fsck.

I've also run memtest86 and things passed, but I'm going to give that another try to0.

P4, not athlon.

2.6.0-test8, gcc-3.3.1-r5, ext3 filesystems.

Seems nptl is disabled

Code:
gl2% emerge -pv glibc
These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2-r6  +nls -pic -build -nptl
longshot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memtest86 showed up memory errors.
fsck showed up disk errors.

Removed offending memory stick.

Retrying ...
quark67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please report on the results...

Q
longshot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overnight emerge kde. Still running (approx 12 hours). No fails.

That is with the bad memory stick removed (leaving 512 Mb), and with another fsck fix of disk errors (caused by memory errors?).

Seems memory errors were my (main?) problem.

The emerge fails I was previously getting did not report the "ebuild compile" error. To see a source file get compiled twice and fail both times and then the error message that it was probably a hardware problem reinforced for me that I really needed to run memory and disk checks again.

When I first started to get problems (which were sometimes showing up as make 139 errors) some posts in other threads said check hardware. I did that, found disk errors, but no memory errors - so I had some confidence that memory was ok.

What was confusing is that there was supposedly a "bad 3.3.1 gcc build" at some point. Searching the forums for "make 139 error" turned up lots of discussion about failed emerges with make 139 errors due to a bad gcc build. Some suggestions included "emerge gcc glibc gcc" and then whatever you really wanted to emerge. Tried that, didnt fix it for me.

Been a time sink, but I think I'm through it now :-)
DipShit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting segfaults like described above too. Both on Qt (stable.... trying masked version now) and Mplayer. No amount of recompiling helps. I'm on an Athlon +1800.
longshot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My qt build finished without problems after removing bad memory. I'm on a P4 system, where it appears others in this thread are mostly athlons.

I'm interested if people who are having failures have tested memory with memtest86 ...
AcheronH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: got the same problem - solved it for me Reply with quote

Hi!

my old system: athlon-tbird 1400 MHz, via kt266, 2x256 MB PC133 SDRAM (brand)
I had the same problem with qt, tetex, mysql (for some weird reason i did not get any errors compiling glibc + gcc or even xfree) and some other packages.
After running memtest86 it threw errors in test 5 and 8 (repetitive memmoves, according to the documentation on their website (http://www.memtest86.com) it's the test which is supposed to strain the memory the most (and some interesting comment about mostly athlon systems failing these two tests only).
So I suspected the SDRAMs at first - but then we tested them in two other boxes - they ran fine. I suspected some heat problem with the cpu, so i renewed the heatsink compound (after cleaning thoroughly) - no improvement.
I flashed my bios to an elder version - nothing.

The solution turned up some 2 days later, when the memory faults increased dramatically; the reason: faulty capacitators on the motherboard.
My advice to you: it hasn't got to be the memory, just take a close look at all the capacitators on your board. If they bulge out or eaven leak, you should try to get an RMA. take a look at
http://www.ttiinc.com/MarketEye/Aluminum_Cap_Issue.asp
or, if you understand german
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/data/ciw-04.03.03-001/default.shtml&words=Kondensatoren
these are just two hits taken from a quick google search.

(sorry for my english, feel free to correct me.)
(EDIT: cleared up a bit)

P.S.:Well, my MoBo (may it rest in pieces) gave up after some more tests - now I had the excuse to go buy a new System. Now working with an AMD XP 3000+ (Barton, 200 MHz FSB) =) the gentoo experience improved dramatically. :-)
To all gentoo devs (and the community): you rock!
(trying to contribute... nothing yet :( )
elvis38
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I am running an Athlon-XP 1800+ too and was having problems compiling qt until I added 3dnow and mmx to the USE flags.

Cheers!
Elvis
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: