Unable to load libXext.so.6 after installation of NXServer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doalwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Unable to load libXext.so.6 after installation of NXServer Reply with quote

Hi,

I've already read alot about the really cool VNC and RDP alternative from nomachine.org called NX...if you're intereted in checking it out, download the client for windows, solaris or mac os x..it's blazingly fast, I connected to the test servers in france and germany, over a dsl line, and it really felt like I've been sitting in front of the machine..incredible..suck on this, RDP :twisted:

So I decided to try the nxserver out, because i thought it would be handy to be able to connect to my machine from work for example, and do it with reasonable speed! Sometimes ssh just ain't enought, you know :wink:

So I emerged the nxserver-business ebuild found in portage, created the config file and fired the server up..so far, so good...the only catch..alot of my applications stopped working in an instant..for example, loading xmms results in this:
Code:

bash-2.05b$ xmms
xmms: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Firing up pan gives me the following error:
Code:
bash-2.05b$ pan
pan: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

At first I thought, that maybe nx replaced those libs somehow, or moved them around...but looking at /usr/X11R6/lib showd that those libs were still present..just to make sure, I chmod'ded them with a+rwx..but still a no go, still can't load those libs :(
Accesing my freshly new NX Server from a W2k box fails too, guess why? Right..can't load libXext.so.6...well, anybody here ever tried to set up a NX Server and stumbled over the same problems perhaps?? I would be glad for any suggestions!
doalwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just unmerged nxserver-business and voila, immediately after that, everything went back to normal..damn..I really want this to work..maybe I'll set up a suse or fedora box for this...but still, it would be fine to have this working under gentoo :cry:
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and downloaded the latest nx snapshots(in tar.gz format)-These do not require a license-ie. free(one can also download the source and compile it itself-it is GPL-haven't tried though yet) . install took maybe 3 minutes total- very easy to install. First you install nxclient-so unpack it in some directory, then :
Code:

cd ~
mkdir nx
tar -xvzpf nxclient-blah-blah.tar.gz -C ~/nx/

Quote:

1. Enter in nxclient-install directory:
#> cd nxclient-install

2. Log as root.

3. Copy directory NX to /usr
#> cp -a NX /usr/.

4. Copy the files in profile.d to /etc/profile.d
#> cp -a profile.d/* /etc/profile.d/.

*note- if you do not have a /etc/profile.d directory, simply make it ie.
Code:

mkdir /etc/profile.d

then unpack nxserver into /usr
ie.
Code:

tar -xvzpf nxserver-blah-blah.tar.gz -C /usr/

then do the following:
Quote:

/usr/NX/bin/nxsetup --install debian

I chose "debian"- if you omit the distro tpe it fails to autodetect gentoo. It supports redhat, suse, mandrake ,solaris and debian. I checked the install log afterwords to make sure it didn't do anything strangely debian specific- no problems, worked fine...

next step
Code:

/usr/NX/bin/nxsetup --adduser someuser

where "someuser" is the user name of some existing user account on the server.

then copy the nxclient package over to your client machine and repeat the nxclient install detailed above. Once that is done simply do a:
Code:

/usr/NX/bin/nxclient

you then are walked through the step to configure it-really quite simple.

My next step is to try to figure out how to integrate this into LTSP.... that would be a godsend.....
doalwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for your response, that's exactly what I tried after the installation of the ebuild didn't work out..well, NX is really simply amazing, I just showed it to two of my co-workers today and they were instantly hooked! I hope that this KDE support they're talking about on nomachine.org comes to live really soon!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: