TeXlive: tlmgr not work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natrix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: TeXlive: tlmgr not work Reply with quote

Hello Forum!

I need to use texlive manager (tlmgr), but does not work:

Code:
# tlmgr --help
bash: tlmgr: command not found

It is in “/usr/share/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl“

But the script does not work:

Code:
# perl tlmgr.pl
Can't locate TeXLive/TLConfig.pm in @INC (you may need to install the TeXLive::TLConfig module) (@INC contains: /../../texmf/scripts/texlive /../../tlpkg /etc/perl /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.18.2/x86_64-linux /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.18.2 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.18.2/x86_64-linux /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5/5.18.2/x86_64-linux /usr/lib64/perl5/5.18.2 .) at tlmgr.pl line 81.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at tlmgr.pl line 81.

How to repair this?
bec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello natrix,

tlmgr is not supported in Gentoo. You can install texlive packages through ebuilds.

What do you want to do?
natrix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the USE app-text/texlive-core tk is useless??

I want to install some packages that are out of portage: jasthesis, laar, etc
bec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the useflag tk, but I installed clrscode3e.sty from the book "Introduction to algorithms":
- putting it manually somewhere in /usr/local/share/texmf/
- I choose /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc
- running texconfig
natrix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory; the USE "tk" install perl-tk and the GUI for texlive manager.

Thanks for your help!!
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe tlmgr was removed intentionally.

In fact, it is not a good idea to use tlmgr at all.

For simple things, like a few .sty or .cls files, you can as well copy them to your local texmf directories.
For complex things, better wait until they are properly packaged for gentoo.
A nice example is biber: This needed about a year to be packaged, but if you would use the TeXLive version you would get old perl libraries with possible security issues instead of using the current ones provided by gentoo.

Also, you would have difficulties to uninstall/upgrade things (except what tlmgr does for you) because portage is not aware of these installations: Mixtures of package managers are never a good idea to have.

I am aware that the hint "wait for proper packaging" does not help you much if you urgently need some package.

IIRC, there was some package which could semi-automatically generate ebuilds for TeXlive packes, but I forgot its name and where it can be found. Maybe this can be used for your purpose. It is definitely a better idea to use this instead of tlmgr, although, of course, it might be more complicated to use and very likely does not work out-of-the-box for complex texlive pacakges.
natrix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mv!

Thanks for your answer.

I think that the iirc is g-ctan, but this is outdated and a strong mask.
thekraken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: seems tough to accept Reply with quote

This really is difficult for me to accept. In my current situation, I need to use biber, biblatex, and biblatex-apa in order to get my article properly formatted. in a normal TeX situation, I could just download the relevant packages from CTAN and install them in my TL, but there are serious version incompatibilities because of the speed at which TL is updated that make it impossible for those three packages to work together *in their current, portage supported versions*. That is, I need biblatex 3.7, biblatex-apa 7.4, and biber 2.7. biblatex i can get, but biblatex-apa is stuck in 6.6, and biber is stuck in 2.7 on portage.

The fact that there are certain compatibility issues with different versions of fast-moving packages that portage simply can't keep up with seems like a really good reason to make for a TeX-specific workaround, like tlmgr. I understand the benefits of portage---i prefer it and have preferred it for quite some time, but i really can't imagine a good reason for abandoning an option such as g-ctan or setting up tlmgr on portage for fixing a situation like my own.
#926329 +(3230)- [X]

<N00b>Can someone explain cell division?
<Nerd> o
<Nerd> 0
<Nerd> 8
<Nerd> oo
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: seems tough to accept Reply with quote

thekraken wrote:
I need biblatex 3.7, biblatex-apa 7.4, and biber 2.7. biblatex i can get, but biblatex-apa is stuck in 6.6, and biber is stuck in 2.7 on portage.

Isn't biblatex-apa-7.4 part of dev-texlive/texlive-bibtexextra-2016?
So the only issue for you should be "biber".
"biber" is a really serious issue which is not so much related with tlmgr but more with the policy of its developers: I have the impression that whenever some new perl package with some new experimental feature comes out, they immediately invent some feature or change their code such that the next version of biber certainly will not run witohut that perl package and all its dependencies installed. I had already talked with some of its developers that this makes it impossible to package "biber" but they do not care: They simply rely on some perl feature which packs all libraries in one huge binary which is then unpacked to /tmp. That this allows for all sort of tmpfile attacks and sucks by not fixing security issues of individual libraries, the developers do not care about: This huge binary is the way they actually want biber to be distributed.
So, if you are in the pitysome situation to need newest biber, unless you run a huge perl overlay (or help gentoo maintainers to keep up), more or less your only possibility is to download this huge binary.
tlmgr is not needed for this: It would do nothing else than to download that binary.
thekraken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the response. I've managed to install biber as a binary on its own so that's not the huge issue anymore.

it's just a matter of version-matching at this point and doing some manual installations. the folks over at stackexchange are helping me to match the versions. i don't exactly need the newest of everything---i just want the versions to match so it works.

i didn't know about biblatex-apa being part of bibtexextra-2016, but that did solve the mystery of why \listfile shows that version of biblatex-apa!

still errors. more fiddling.
#926329 +(3230)- [X]

<N00b>Can someone explain cell division?
<Nerd> o
<Nerd> 0
<Nerd> 8
<Nerd> oo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: