Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Firefox cannot "Open With" for .torrent files (only Save As)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Firefox cannot "Open With" for .torrent files (onl Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently setup Gentoo on my parents PC after their Windows 7 got trashed by some virus. Anyway, they're really liking Gentoo, but my dad said he was missing the ability to open a .torrent file from Firefox automatically with Vuze. Personally, I've always been content with saving .torrent files and opening them manually in Vuze, but it's understandable that they want it as simple and easy as possible.

So I thought this would be a quick and easy fix, but I'm stumped. Whenever I open a .torrent file in Firefox, I get the prompt to "Save File" or "Cancel", but not "Open With".

I have done some searching on this issue, where I've found that many suggestions point to the same solution: Go to "Applications" in the Preferences and set the action for torrent files as "Always Ask". However, the torrent file type does not appear in the list, even after downloading some.

I've tried resetting the Firefox profile entirely (close Firefox, rename ~/.mozilla, open Firefox), but I still encounter the exact same problem.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

Cheers,
Martin
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, I have a TORRENT file mime type in my Firefox. I can select "save as" "always ask" or "open with" in the Applications tab.

Oddly enough, the only reference I can find with .torrent files is in my /etc/mime.types ... Not sure how this gets read in.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: