Rootless X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCubeIsALie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Rootless X Reply with quote

Hi, I've been messing around with rootless X by setting -suid and editing the xorg-server ebuild to add the --enable-suid-wrapper option. I didn't run into any problems here, and the X server started as my user instead of root (ps aux confirms this). However, it wouldn't respond to my mouse or keyboard.

Some digging led me to find that this was a permission issue with /dev/input/event* files. So I added the following rule into /etc/udev/rules.d
Code:
KERNEL=="event*", TAG+="uaccess"

The end result was that my mouse and keyboard began responding in X again. This was great, and I went on using my system as normal. I didn't run into any problems until I tried to switch VTs. I could switch to another VT and it would work, but if I tried to switch back to the VT where X was running, my system would stop responding until I killed X. :?

Any ideas? I have a feeling that X loses its permission to access the /dev/input/event* files when I switch VTs, and for some reason doesn't regain permission when I switch back. I'm thinking that the udev rule isn't the right one to use in this situation, but I haven't found another idea that works.
TheCubeIsALie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried adding my user to the input group, as it appears in my system that the /dev/input/event* files accessible by anyone in that group. But VT switching still didn't work so I don't think it's a problem with /dev/input/event*. Could it be a bug in systemd or X? I'm leaning toward it just being a configuration problem on my end, as it appears Arch Linux has rootless X working.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, rootless X required systemd-logind in order to manage the input devices properly. I don't know everything behind that, nor would I see why diddling user/group permissions properly shouldn't do the same thing, unless it is a group-write permission issue. The OpenBSD people are working on a set of OS-agnostic systemd-helper workalikes so that non-systemd people can have the capabilities of systemd-logind and friends.
TheCubeIsALie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I probably should have mentioned that I am in fact already using systemd on this system. I'm not sure either why systemd-logind is needed, so I'm going to investigate this as possibly being the point of failure. I've tested this on a desktop using the nouveau drivers, and a laptop using the Intel drivers and they both have the same problem with VT switching, so it's safe to eliminate any Nvidia card weirdness right now.
apurkrt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress with this, TheCubeIsALie? I'm experiencing the same problem, afaictl:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7616016.html

I didn't try rootless X intentionally, just migrated to systemd and don't have "suid" use flag set. Also, I haven't written any udev rules. The X just works, except for switching to VT/console and back; I lose keyboard and mouse input after the switch (can regain mouse after replugging it).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: