Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet card not loading
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typedeph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet card not loading Reply with quote

Hello gentoo community. I'm having trouble getting my card recognized on reboot after following the gentoo handbook. For some reason the only interface recognized is the lo interface. My interface wlp3s0 is not listed with ifconfig. I have no idea how to proceed and have tried following this forum as its the only one i've found on the topic: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-895680-start-0.html. I was unable to to still detect the card. If anyone could lend a newbie a hand I would greatly appreciate it. It's probably a linux kernel compilation problem as I've never done this before.

Thank you for your time.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would help helpful, if you provide the output of
Code:
ifconfig -a
and
Code:
lspci -k

This is to double check, just in case the network card was labeled as something else or just not configured (i.e. having a ip address). The second is to make sure on what the system is saying the network card is (to help identify the correct driver).

Now, just a quick google search says; the driver for Atheros AR8131 is atl1c. So assuming that is the correct card, you may want to make sure that driver is either compiled in or as a module (I personaly perfer to have that driver compiled in myself)/

Code:

Symbol: ATL1C [=n]                                                                                   
  │ Type  : tristate                                                                       
  │ Prompt: Atheros L1C Gigabit Ethernet support                                         
  │   Location:                           
  │     -> Device Drivers                                                                                               
  │       -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])                                                                                         
  │         -> Ethernet driver support (ETHERNET [=y])                                                     
  │ (1)       -> Atheros devices (NET_VENDOR_ATHEROS [=n])                             
  │   Defined at drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/Kconfig:55                               
  │   Depends on: NETDEVICES [=y] && ETHERNET [=y] && NET_VENDOR_ATHEROS [=n] && PCI [=y]
  │   Selects: CRC32 [=y] && MII [=y]
Typedeph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems like I'm at least one step closer to my solution. Got the wlp3s0 interface to finally show up after boot. Seems I've been following the handbook only for wired connections. Found this wiki to help me out: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi. Unfortunately that wasn't enough until I found this thread's configuration for card: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-842867-start-0.html#6507317. Unfortunately now I'm stuck trying to actually connect. My interface (wlp3s0) now shows up when I use ifconfig. Will print the output for lspci -k soon, gonna try to see if I can figure out how to connect.
Typedeph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unable to find anyway to get my wifi working. Attempted to install NetworkManager but that lead to a stack of USE flag dependencies until I got a stream of dependencies attacking after that (funny enough I haven't even been able to get to the part about learning about USE flags for downloading software because I'm still trying to learn how to get this setup to boot with wifi in the first place). ct8 is there anyway that I can copy and paste the outputs for the two commands you said. lspci spouts out 87 lines or so and it'd be a bit of a pain to write them all down between desktops. I'd like to know this as most issues I've ever posted on forums about are networking problems that require posting debug information which I find this to be quite the paradox considering most debug outputs are meant for copy and pasting and yet it seems I'm stuck writing it down all the time.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you boot with a boot cd (assuming you have access to internet then). You can install a small package app-text/wgetpaste to export the output to pastebin, then just copy the url down it outputs for us. For like the lspci command you could do this and have it's output sent directly to pastebin for you.

Code:

lspci -k | wgetpaste

If you want to paste the contents of a file you could do like

Code:

wgetpaste /etc/conf.d/net

Now, originally you said your network card is a wired on (ethernet); while now your saying it is a wireless. If you are using a wired network card, it shouldn't be hard to get internet now that your computer is seeing the card and loading the drivers (hence the interface wlp3s0). All you would need to do, to simplist option is first make sure you have dhcpcd installed. From there, you could use the handbook part on dhcpcd to get an ip address dynamicaly. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=3 Then you can follow http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=8 to get your network setup to start automaticaly for you, this is assuming you are using openrc as your init system. If you are using systemd (If you have Gnome desktop you are using systemd), I don't know the correct commands then, as I don't use systemd on any of my systems. Now do be sure you substitute your actual interface name in place of eth0 and stuff.

If you are using a wireless network card, it's not as easy to get it setup. However, the typical program used is wpa_supplicant, to configure and connect to your wireless network. Again, you will still need dhcpcd installed, to retrieve a ip address dynamicaly. Sadly, I'm not too good on using NetworkManager to setup networks, as I can't help you there as much.
Typedeph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I've been going about this wrong from the start. It's not my Ethernet card that I should be concerned about it's my network card Atheros 9285. I changed my network from an unsecured network to a wpa key and now I'm locked out from step 3 in the handbook. I will make a new post after trying one last time since the ethernet card, Atheros 8131, has nothing to do with wirelessly connecting. Unfortunately since I have no internet wgetpaste will do nothing for me there so its seems its back to writing it down by paper if I really wanna get support, man wasn't this hard on my Arch Linux build lol. Thanks anyways going to open the new thread now for the Atheros 9285.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you are trying to use the minmal install cd to install gentoo via a wireless internet connection. The minimal install cd only supports wireless connection to an unprotected or WEP protected network over a Network Interface Card that does not require a proprietary binary firmware blob and has a driver enabled in the minimal install cd kernel. This can be considered to be NO support in practical terms. http://www.sysresccd.org/Download or http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick provide gentoo based alternatives that support wifi (network manager) and a xfce4 desktop for the install.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you are trying to use the minmal install cd to install gentoo via a wireless internet connection. The minimal install cd only supports wireless connection to an unprotected or WEP protected network over a Network Interface Card that does not require a proprietary binary firmware blob and has a driver enabled in the minimal install cd kernel. This can be considered to be NO support in practical terms. http://www.sysresccd.org/Download or http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick provide gentoo based alternatives that support wifi (network manager) and a xfce4 desktop for the install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: