installing pulseaudio with uclibc profile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: installing pulseaudio with uclibc profile Reply with quote

Has anyone done this? I have a very minimal stripped-down system that I use as an X server for a headless KVM instance. The server's eselected profile is hardened/linux/uclibc/x86 (built from the appropriate stage3) to which I want to add the PA sound server. So:
/etc/portage/make.conf:
CHOST="i686-gentoo-linux-uclibc"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
CFLAGS="-mfpmath=sse -O2 -march=native -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2 -s"
LINGUAS="en en_GB"
USE="usb vnc ssh freerdp fontconfig pam dbus wordexp -glamor -llvm -apm -doc pulseaudio theora v4l2 xvid threads -debug X opengl xnest xcomposite alsa ssl dri acpi glibc-omitfp unicode nls truetype mmap acl cairo libnotify -xattr ldap"
FEATURES="-xattr ccache"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
ALSA_CARDS="intel"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.swin.edu.au/gentoo http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Gentoo ftp://ftp.swin.edu.au/gentoo ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Gentoo "
SYNC="rsync://rsync.au.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
and
/etc/portage/package.use/uclibc:
sys-libs/uclibc -* savedconfig iconv
I added iconv but the rest was already there.

The emerge of pulseaudio fails with
Code:
libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "module-simple-protocol-tcp.la" && ln -s "../module-simple-protocol-tcp.la" "module-simple-protocol-tcp.la" )
libtool: link: i686-gentoo-linux-uclibc-gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  -fPIC -DPIC  modules/.libs/module-null-sink.o   -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/pulseaudio -L/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs -Wl,--as-needed ./.libs/libpulsecore-5.0.so -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libltdl.so -lspeexdsp /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs/libpulse.so ./.libs/libpulsecommon-5.0.so ./.libs/libpulse.so /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs/libpulsecommon-5.0.so -lX11-xcb -lX11 -lxcb -lICE -lSM -lXtst -ljson-c -lwrap /usr/lib/libiconv.so -lsndfile -lasyncns -ldbus-1 /usr/lib/libgdbm.so -lcap -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lm  -pthread -mfpmath=sse -O2 -march=native -Wl,-z -Wl,nodelete -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,-O1   -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,module-null-sink.so -o .libs/module-null-sink.so
modules/.libs/module-null-sink.o: In function `module_null_sink_LTX_pa__get_description':
module-null-sink.c:(.text+0x7a3): undefined reference to `libintl_dgettext'
modules/.libs/module-null-sink.o: In function `module_null_sink_LTX_pa__init':
module-null-sink.c:(.text+0xb81): undefined reference to `libintl_dgettext'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [module-null-sink.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
libtool: link: i686-gentoo-linux-uclibc-gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  -fPIC -DPIC  modules/.libs/module-null-source.o   -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/pulseaudio -L/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs -Wl,--as-needed ./.libs/libpulsecore-5.0.so -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libltdl.so -lspeexdsp /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs/libpulse.so ./.libs/libpulsecommon-5.0.so ./.libs/libpulse.so /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs/libpulsecommon-5.0.so -lX11-xcb -lX11 -lxcb -lICE -lSM -lXtst -ljson-c -lwrap /usr/lib/libiconv.so -lsndfile -lasyncns -ldbus-1 /usr/lib/libgdbm.so -lcap -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lm  -pthread -mfpmath=sse -O2 -march=native -Wl,-z -Wl,nodelete -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,-O1   -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,module-null-source.so -o .libs/module-null-source.so
libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "module-null-source.la" && ln -s "../module-null-source.la" "module-null-source.la" )
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0'
Any ideas?
TheCubeIsALie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/pulseaudio, pulseaudio requires a libc with nptl. Do you have uclibc compiled with the nptl use flag?
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCubeIsALie wrote:
According to http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/pulseaudio, pulseaudio requires a libc with nptl. Do you have uclibc compiled with the nptl use flag?
Thanks; I tried that but no difference.
TheCubeIsALie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a thread with a similar undefined reference issue, and it looks like he solved it by rebuilding gcc. Perhaps this would also work for you?
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCubeIsALie wrote:
I saw a thread with a similar undefined reference issue, and it looks like he solved it by rebuilding gcc. Perhaps this would also work for you?
His missing symbol was libintl_gettext and mine was libintl_dgettext. I rebuilt anyway but no go. The problem appears to be uclibc because /usr/include/libintl.h, which declares the symbol, belongs to package sys-libs/glibc on a glibc-based build.

I also looked at excluding USE flags for the pulseaudio emerge, to stop it linking to the unavailable symbol, but couldn't see anything obvious.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: still struggling Reply with quote

So libintl_dgettext is declared in /usr/include/libintl.h which belongs to package sys-devel/gettext so I assume that package must define the symbol as well but I can't see any use flag options that could be causing it not to do so.

equery u pulseaudio uclibc gettext:
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r3:
 U I
 + + X             : Build the X11 publish module to export PulseAudio information through X11 protocol for clients to make use. Don't enable this flag if you want to use a system wide instance. If unsure, enable this flag.
 + + alsa          : Add support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
 + - asyncns       : Use libasyncns for asynchronous name resolution.
 - - bluetooth     : Enable Bluetooth Support
 + - caps          : Use Linux capabilities library to control privilege
 + + dbus          : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
 - - doc           : Build the doxygen-described API documentation.
 - - equalizer     : Enable the equalizer module (requires sci-libs/fftw).
 + - gdbm          : Use sys-libs/gdbm to store PulseAudio databases. Recommended for desktop usage. This flag causes the whole package to be licensed under GPL-2 or later.
 - - glib          : Add support to dev-libs/glib-based mainloop for the libpulse client library, to allow using libpulse on glib-based programs.
 - - gnome         : Use GConf to store user preferences on streams and so on. Don't enable this flag if you want to use a system wide instance. If unsure, enable this flag.
 - - gtk           : Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
 + + ipv6          : Add support for IP version 6
 - - jack          : Add support for the JACK Audio Connection Kit
 - - libsamplerate : Build with support for converting sample rates using libsamplerate
 - - lirc          : Add support for lirc (Linux's Infra-Red Remote Control)
 - - orc           : Use dev-lang/orc for just-in-time optimization of array operations
 - - qt4           : Add support for the Qt GUI/Application Toolkit version 4.x
 - - realtime      : (Restricted to >=media-sound/pulseaudio-0.9.21.2-r1)
                     Makes PulseAudio use RealtimeKit (sys-auth/rtkit) to get real-time priority while running.
 + + ssl           : Use dev-libs/openssl to provide support for RAOP (AirPort) streaming.
 + + tcpd          : Add support for TCP wrappers
 - - test          : Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with FEATURES=test. Portage-2.1.2 handles this internally, so don't set it in make.conf/package.use anymore
 + - udev          : Enable virtual/udev integration (device discovery, power and storage device support, etc)
 - - webrtc-aec    : Uses the webrtc.org AudioProcessing library for enhancing VoIP calls greatly in applications that support it by performing acoustic echo cancellation, analog gain control, noise suppression and other processing.
 - - zeroconf      : Support for DNS Service Discovery (DNS-SD)

* Found these USE flags for sys-libs/uclibc-0.9.33.2-r12:
 U I
 - - debug         : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 + + iconv         : Enable support for the iconv character set conversion library
 - - ipv6          : Add support for IP version 6
 + + nptl          : Enable support for Native POSIX Threads Library, the new threading module (requires linux-2.6 or better usually)
 - - rpc           : Enable sun nis/rpc support (you should use libtirpc though)
 + + savedconfig   : Adds support for user defined configs
 - - ssp           : Force the use of ssp to be built into a hardened uclibc setup
 - - uclibc-compat : Build uclibc with backwards compatible options
 + - wordexp       : Add support for word expansion (wordexp.h)

* Found these USE flags for sys-devel/gettext-0.19.3:
 U I
 + + acl         : Add support for Access Control Lists
 - - cvs         : When running `autopoint`, use cvs to store the internal development files; this requires cvs at runtime, but will be faster/smaller than raw archives
 + + cxx         : Build support for C++ (bindings, extra libraries, code generation, ...)
 - - doc         : Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally
 - - emacs       : Add support for GNU Emacs
 - - git         : When running `autopoint`, use git to store the internal development files; this requires git at runtime, but will be faster/smaller than raw archives
 - - java        : Add support for Java
 + + ncurses     : Add ncurses support (console display library)
 + + openmp      : Build support for the OpenMP (support parallel computing), requires >=sys-devel/gcc-4.2 built with USE="openmp"
 - + static-libs : Build static versions of dynamic libraries as well

I don't understand how the pulseaudio results have I column values because the package isn't installed yet, but there it is.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
libtool: link: i686-gentoo-linux-uclibc-gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  -fPIC -DPIC  modules/.libs/module-null-sink.o   -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/pulseaudio -L/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs -Wl,--as-needed ./.libs/libpulsecore-5.0.so -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libltdl.so -lspeexdsp /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs/libpulse.so ./.libs/libpulsecommon-5.0.so ./.libs/libpulse.so /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2/work/pulseaudio-5.0-abi_x86_32.x86/src/.libs/libpulsecommon-5.0.so -lX11-xcb -lX11 -lxcb -lICE -lSM -lXtst -ljson-c -lwrap /usr/lib/libiconv.so -lsndfile -lasyncns -ldbus-1 /usr/lib/libgdbm.so -lcap -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lm  -pthread -mfpmath=sse -O2 -march=native -Wl,-z -Wl,nodelete -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,-O1   -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,module-null-sink.so -o .libs/module-null-sink.so

This is the line that fails and if -lintl be added to it, it succeeds, but how that line is built is buried in a rat's nest of autoconf and ebuild stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: