Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is Gentoo not switching to systemd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29, 30, 31  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want systemd as default on Gentoo?
I <3 systemd!! I want Gentoo to switch!!
12%
 12%  [ 26 ]
Get that horse-crap away from Gentoo as far as possible!
87%
 87%  [ 186 ]
Total Votes : 212

steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
It wasn't a general consensus, it was driven by politicking (sound familiar) and by people
that should not have been making that decision for all of debian. But I doubt that sysd
could have made it as the "preferred" init system unless they went the way they did.
And the rest is history....

Absolutely; which is why so many of us are aghast both at the method, and the fact that it works
on a distro which prides itself on being both "Universal" and focussed on technical excellence
on behalf of users.
Quote:
It's also a lesson for even gentoo, much as many of us don't like the idea that choice
could be taken away, we have our share of things foisted upon us by "a technical committee".

Yes we do, but the only decisions that come to mind as clearly politically-driven are the frankly
ultra vires appropriation of "comrel" oversight, and the "separate /usr is no longer supported"
bulshytt.

The former was really down to Chris Gianelloni (who also used to dictate about both games herd
and insisted base stages have ldap for use impressing "corporate" clients, so a live disk could
hook into a Windows-network more easily.)

The latter was down to William Hubbs, in political terms, but he's backed by the systemd-5th-column
in Gentoo, which appears to be the only people acceptable to maintain systemd on any distro, as far
as the upstream lunatics are concerned.

If you don't drink the kool-aid, you can't get in the clubhouse.

Once you're in, you're surrounded by people repeating the same mantras to each other, as they
cannot stand on technical grounds. So rather than being obvious to all, they have to be pushed,
and if you're maintaining systemd you're signed up to be part of the "gentle persuasion". Or
you don't maintain systemd.
Quote:
I like having a distro, especially one that offers choices, but if push came to shove,
I could and would just roll my own. Yes it's more work, and it's certainly not for everyone.
But I could avoid things like technical committees steering the distro simply because they've drank some koolaid.

Well I don't really blame the Council for being pushovers to social pressure, since they're only
geeks in the main, and they are completely useless at social matters. Similarly I don't blame
them for taking what one of their own says on good faith.

All it indicates to me is that they should stop pretending to have any claim to deal with
social matters, whatsoever. They're setup strictly to deal with technical matters, so they
have no mandate or authority whatsoever to deal with anything else.

In any event, as I've said before I don't think we'll need to go anywhere, since in the worst case we
can just maintain an overlay, due to the nature of a from-source distro. Additionally, I don't see
Gentoo developers as a whole as stupid, although individually they can be asshats, like anyone
else.

I don't think they're stupid enough to implement a regression in capability, coupled with a whole
load more work for releng, just to get a less useful product, that ships less often.

They might as well become fedora-src, and would certainly lose a great deal of relevance for
their current downstream ecosystem.

If it does happen, as you say, many of us are here simply because it's more convenient than
rolling our own; as such we're perfectly capable of forking it back, since it is in fact much
less work.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
If it does happen, as you say, many of us are here simply because it's more convenient than
rolling our own; as such we're perfectly capable of forking it back, since it is in fact much
less work.

Even rolling my own, I would probably keep things like the ebuild system as it's convenient
for keeping track of and easily adding/removing packages.

I'm not too worried about it, gentoo didn't always have the "management" that it has now,
and DR simply forked gentoo into funtoo. So it's certainly doable.

If the council were to completely drink the kookaid re. debian, I would imagine that a number of devs/maintainers
would not be happy and would be pleased to work on a fork/offshoot. They would just have to undo some of the
silliness of those who slavishly follow upstreams whims.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of understanding how the other side thinks, this post by one of the Gnome developers pretty much sums up their thinking (under the section "Aggressive anti-advocacy").

The most telling ones are the bullet points labelled "Failure to provide any realistic alternatives", "Lack of understanding that systemd is providing things which are wanted", and "Lack of understanding that systemd is focussed to adding additional wanted functionality". As long as this kind of mentality reigns supreme (at least in Gnome) you will never reach these guys. Is it possible to persuade these guys that they are likely wrong? Maybe. It might be worth a shot, and using those bullet points as a guideline to knowing what the thought processes are behind the decision would go a long way towards opening up a dialog.

There are a couple of really great comments near the end of that post; even so, I was disappointed that I couldn't slip Systemd: Biggest Fallacies and Demystifying Init into a comment (as commenting on that post is closed). :P

BTW, also found this post in Felipe Contreras' blog to be quite enlightening on the character of Lennart Poettering. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
In terms of understanding how the other side thinks, this post by one of the Gnome developers pretty much sums up their thinking (under the section "Aggressive anti-advocacy").

Oh man that guy's off his tits (his comment is about halfway down: "This makes my head spin! Really cool, but too late for feature freeze," iow: "ship it".)
Quote:
The most telling ones are the bullet points labelled "Failure to provide any realistic alternatives", "Lack of understanding that systemd is providing things which are wanted", and "Lack of understanding that systemd is focussed to adding additional wanted functionality". As long as this kind of mentality reigns supreme (at least in Gnome) you will never reach these guys. Is it possible to persuade these guys that they are likely wrong?

Past experience indicates it really isn't (that guy's quite vocal on debian lists, iirc.) You just get into a vipers-nest of sniping behaviour, which they then use to justify their position that there's no real technical disagreement, only "misunderstandings" (at best.) By that time anyone who values their sanity has given up posting.

For instance, afaic all the above bullet points come under the banner "doing it wrong", since the "functionality" they "want" is based on a flawed conception of how to tie a desktop together. It's a seriously-borked design, and the real reason for it is to embed dbus everywhere, so corporate clients can leech GPL software, and to lock users into fedora-userland.exe so that they are suitable passive consumers who can be "monetized" as an "income-stream", again for corporate clients. Oh and a nice barn-door for the NSA doesn't hurt.

Users are the product, not the customers, in this "Web-2.0" future. After all, it worked for Microserf..
Quote:
BTW, also found this post in Felipe Contreras' blog to be quite enlightening on the character of Lennart Poettering. :)

The linked paper on Debate vs Non-criticism was very enlightening, thanks :-)
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, following hard on the heels of a discussion about forking in daemons comes one about forking in Debian. I saw this on Slashdot just now: http://debianfork.org/
Sulman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
Now, following hard on the heels of a discussion about forking in daemons comes one about forking in Debian. I saw this on Slashdot just now: http://debianfork.org/

This kind of discussion and resistance to the systemd steamroller should have happened ages ago.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And instead of talking to debianfork.org people, here's the satire: http://forkfedora.org

They really know how to piss of the people they'd like to join in...
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
And instead of talking to debianfork.org people, here's the satire: http://forkfedora.org

Their "satire" actually demonstrates some of the points which are wrong with systemd:
At a first glance, the systemd unit is smaller.
But at a second glance, it fails to do almost everything which /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail did: This now must be done during installation or with other files (like tmpfiles.d) and cannot be changed dynamicallly on the configuration: You have exactly replaced the dynamic possibilities by the static configuration nonsense (with extremely decreased functionality) I was complaining about a few posts ago.
So the whole comparison is completely flawed: Comparing a startup file which does alll necessary setups in dozens of cases with some fixed static file is like comparing a web-server with a program which outputs "Hello world" and wondering why the latter is shorter.
A fine proof that the whole discussion driven by the fedora folks is not about technical facts but only propaganda based on lies.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, those guys are starting to get funny.

Reply from someone on a post of mine on reddit:

avx wrote:
You might think about debianfork.org whatever you like, but making fun of people you want to persuade from your views most certainly isn't the clever way to do it.

IDe- wrote:
No one is interested in persuading anti-systemd script kiddies, their whole "argument" rests on emotionally loaded strawmen, lacking any technical dimension.

This is satire is for the mature and more technically competent crowd to enjoy.

Also funny that I'm getting downvoted into oblivion for proposing to talk about technical details instead of making fun of each other...

Strange thing is, if you look through post-history of these people, most of them aren't long on the system, have basic desktop knowledge at best and still think they understand the in and out's of an init-system, just because their machine now boots a little faster. :evil:

Edit, for those interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2jsbgn/shall_we_fork_fedora/

BTW, maybe we should launch a forkgentoo.org site so the pro-systemd'ers have a playground.
Sulman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
Oh boy, those guys are starting to get funny.

Reply from someone on a post of mine on reddit:

avx wrote:
You might think about debianfork.org whatever you like, but making fun of people you want to persuade from your views most certainly isn't the clever way to do it.

IDe- wrote:
No one is interested in persuading anti-systemd script kiddies, their whole "argument" rests on emotionally loaded strawmen, lacking any technical dimension.

This is satire is for the mature and more technically competent crowd to enjoy.

Also funny that I'm getting downvoted into oblivion for proposing to talk about technical details instead of making fun of each other...

Strange thing is, if you look through post-history of these people, most of them aren't long on the system, have basic desktop knowledge at best and still think they understand the in and out's of an init-system, just because their machine now boots a little faster. :evil:

Edit, for those interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2jsbgn/shall_we_fork_fedora/

BTW, maybe we should launch a forkgentoo.org site so the pro-systemd'ers have a playground.

Being critical of systemd on /r/linux is an alias for 'please aggressively downvote this post'.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Martin Gräßlin gives a very fair and clear description of KWin's future requirements on his blog

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2014/10/libinput-integration-in-kwinwayland/
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:

They really know how to piss of the people they'd like to join in...

Why the right column hasn't included an underlying systemd code? Without systemd sendmail.service will not start.
For whom is this propaganda?
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:
Thought Martin Gräßlin gives a very fair and clear description of KWin's future requirements on his blog

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2014/10/libinput-integration-in-kwinwayland/

in a true kde philosophy he has said

"FAQ
Does that mean KWin (and Plasma) depend on systemd?

No.

But it depends on logind?

No. It uses one D-Bus interface provided by logind. It doesn’t care which program is providing this D-Bus interface. It can be logind or logind-shim or the implementation being worked on for the BSDs. Even a small binary just providing the used D-Bus interfaces would work."
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:

Oh God, more reinventing of the wheel, then insisting everyone else also use octagons from now on..
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
baaann wrote:

Oh God, more reinventing of the wheel, then insisting everyone else also use octagons from now on..

So libinput is the new HAL for input devices. :roll:

The more I hear of wayland the less enamored I am of it. Unless xorg server quits being worked on, I'll stick with that.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
So libinput is the new HAL for input devices. :roll:

Lul, yeah; never thought of it like that, but that's exactly what they're doing: adding another layer to make it "more convenient" to do what's already being done.
Quote:
The more I hear of wayland the less enamored I am of it. Unless xorg server quits being worked on, I'll stick with that.

Yeah it's a shame that fdo controls xorg. But hopefully the nubskool will focus on wayland and leave the older codebase alone.

There are plenty of stakeholders in xorg who aren't as dumb, so I'm not worried about maintenance. For all the vitriol about "bitrot" I'd just be glad they weren't poking it any more in their quest to infect every project with their insane ideology.

WRT "modern technologies" I don't have a problem with compositing, though it's taken me a while to realise people were talking about blitting. ;)

As for http://debianfork.org/ someone should tell those guys they don't need to fork anything; just use mirabilos' prevent-systemd-completely package (which is "Important: yes") and keep integration-testing with whatever pid1 and rc-manager they want. Then swap notes and do the QA work to keep it going as a collective, using debian infra where they want as it's a perfectly valid use of debian.
mrsteven
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now EMACS has got a web browser before systemd. Maybe we should consider using EMACS instead of systemd as an init system because it has more super-duper features which are absolutely needed in an init system. To bad it still does not do binary logging - a real show-stopper for me... :wink:
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leaving this here: http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/ProSystemdAntiSystemd/
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avx wrote:
Just leaving this here: http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/ProSystemdAntiSystemd/

thats a good and informative read
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read and the whole "debate thing" has gotten old, at least to me,
and one of the reasons that I don't participate much in them other than a few posts like this.

But I do like the last couple of paragraphs
Quote:
Ultimately, the cruel irony is that in systemd’s attempt to supposedly unify the distributions, it has created a huge rift unlike any other and is exacerbating the long-present hostilities between desktop Linux and minimalist Linux sides at rates that are absolutely atypical. What will end up of systemd remains unknown. Given Linux’s tendency for chaos, it might end up the new HAL, though with a significantly more painful aftermath, or it might continue on its merry way and become a Linux standard set in stone, in which case the Linux community will see a sharp ideological divide. Or perhaps it won’t. Perhaps things will go on as usual, on an endless spiral of reinvention without climax. Perhaps we will be doomed to flame on systemd for all eternity. Perhaps we’ll eventually get sick of it and just part our own ways into different corners.

Either way, I’ve become less and less fond of politics for uselessd and see systemd debates as being metaphorically like car crashes.

saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as much as he rattles on about the endless politics and nobody wanting to talk about the facts, he pretty much ignores any facts himself and just rattles off his own opinions, which, at least from my perspective in the "systemd is fine for those that want to use it, just don't force me to use it" camp, which he exclusively refers to as systemd opponents. He's utterly oblivious to many of our arguments, continues the false dichotomy presented by the systemd proponents, again presents false dichotomies of his own (you either believe that RH has singlehandedly taken over every governing body of every distro, "as amusing as it sounds," or it's just simple political posturing and RH doesn't have any involvement - you know, ignoring that they're paying the GNOME developers and others to integrate it, forcing distros hands without taking over those distros politically).

In short, IMO, he's the author of uselessd, so he obviously finds parts of systemd interesting and useful, and thus, feels the need to justify systemd even if he disagrees with how systemd was developed, pushed and maintained. That gives him a subconscious incentive to pull punches on systemd instead of actually listening to the technical arguments made against it. He dismisses us and equivocates away our arguments by saying it's just petty politics, cheerleading, emotion and nobody on either side knows what they're talking about.

Yep, the debate is old and stale... absolutely beyond tiresome at this point. But is has become so precisely because of the politicking, the people that don't actually care about the technical matters, the people that care about the technical matters but are too inexperienced or egotistical to see why maybe their ideas aren't the best approach, and the endless drumbeat of people wanting to force their opinions on others without any regard for what those others might think, how their usage needs may be different, etc.

I just want to be left alone and I don't want people deliberately breaking long existing software and then telling me it's my job to fix it again (despite the fact that those fixes won't be accepted upstream). To some, that's apparently to much to ask.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What saellaven said sums up what I thought of that article, too; I just couldn't be bothered to write it up so well ;)

All I'd add is, apart from expecting everyone else to fork projects they've subsumed, instead of just using them, they also expect us to use completely broken design ideas throughout the OS, as well as on the desktop, where they remain broken designs.

I don't care how many nubskulls collaborated to come up with the wacky ideas, they're still crap.

I'm sure they had a fun time doing so, but it's time to move on. If you can't see the flaws, or you don't care, nor do I. The rest of us will get round to correcting this crapfest when we can be bothered. Principally that will consist of a "radical new philosophy" of "delete that sh1t!"
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this comment on the soylentnews.org post regarding that uslessd post above:

http://soylentnews.org/comments.pl?sid=4493&cid=108820

He really nails it.

Tom
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
He really nails it.

Hell, yeah.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record: The perl question I posed above is solved and has been tested.
Although it still appears somewhat hackish, the only problem is lacking "official" support in perl: It only needs to be raised to a documented solution. (But this is only perl- and not systemd-related.)

So I confirm now - in this case which at a first glance seemed to be one of the hardest to avoid - that it is absolutely possible to write code which does not depend on an init system, even if socket-based activation and other apparent "features" of systemd are used: All dependencies you see in programs have only political and no technical reasons.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 22 of 31

Jump to: