NVidia GTX 560 Ti and Intel core i7 3770 iGPU
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShwangShwing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: NVidia GTX 560 Ti and Intel core i7 3770 iGPU Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to know if I can use the display ports (VGA, DVI and HDMI) on the motherboard simultaneously with the ports on the discrete graphics adapter (GTX 560 Ti). I read somewhere that the drivers for nvidia and intel integrated graphics conflict and so they cannot be used together. Is that so? I want to be able to plug more monitors only.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of problem with intel and nvidia cards or drivers. Some people have problem if the card use optimus tech but if the card is just a graphic card, fine.
You will get some trouble setup the monitors as you wish, as nvidia drivers use metamodes to setup multi-monitors but it's proprietary to nvidia, so it's to setup multi-nvidia cards.
For intel+nvidia, you will need to setup xorg.
There's even a sample in the readme : http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/319.32/README/configmultxscreens.html
It's a sample to configure multi xscreen with one card, but it work the same with multi card.
ShwangShwing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm do not have much knowledge about the X system. As far as I understand your proposal is to make another X screen for the built in vga. I'm not entirely sure what exactly what an X screen represents, but I would guess that that will prevent me from extending my desktop across monitors connected to the different video cards. And I would like to be able to do that.
Also can somebody tell me which driver should I use for the integrated card?
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShwangShwing wrote:
Also can somebody tell me which driver should I use for the integrated card?

If you installed xorg, xf86-intel-drivers should already be sitting around somewhere.
Other than that, I think the specific name is "i915," "i965," or something like that. If you have a corei7, it oughtta be i915... don't quote me on that, though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: