Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Wireless broken after installation (systemd)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamsorcerer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Wireless broken after installation (systemd) Reply with quote

I had wireless working during the installation, but after rebooting I have no network. I'm pretty sure I have the correct drivers etc. The networking devices don't even appear in ifconfig, though I got the ethernet device to appear after starting the dhcpcd service in systemd.

I am using systemd, and noticed that during installation I ran 'rc-update add net.wlp7s0 default', is there something similar I need to have systemd run? The instructions for systemd don't seem to explain what to do instead of these rc-update commands.

EDIT: Figured out the last part, I need to run systemctl enable, not systemctl start. But, still don't know what service is needed to get the wireless interface back.
Dreamsorcerer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've found an error message in the logs related to it. It says something along the lines of Missing Free Software, Couldn't request the fw.

I've now installed the sys-firmware/iwl7260-ucode package, which seems to be the firmware needed. But, I still get the same error, is there something else I need to do? I've installed the kernel with the 'deblob' flag, does this stop it from loading the firmware entirely?
Sulman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you have it configured under OpenRC?

For wired connections systemd is easiest with dhcpd only (assuming your network has a DHCP server)

Code:
systemctl enable dhcpd.service

The equivalent for wireless is similar but you would need some way of managing wpa_supplicant. The simplest, best tool (for me) with systemd is netctl which comes from Arch Linux and is available in Portage.

Install it, run wifi-menu as root and away you go. run:

Code:
netctl

Without arguments to see the available options. Once you've run wifi-menu associated networks will appear under:

Code:
/etc/netctl/

netctl has a script that enables the systemd service automatically:

Code:
netctl enable [your profile name]
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure that the firmware files needed for your card are available from the moment the module for your card is loaded. That's mean that if the wireless support is in the kernel image or in module in the initramfs, the firmware files should be there too.

If the wireless support is in module in the real root partition, the firmware files should be there too. This last configuration is the best in my opinion. You can unload and load the module and firmwares as you want with the parameters you which. The best for tests.

If you do not follow that, the module can be loaded without firwmare files access and fail to initialise the wireless card. In that case, you have to stop any service who use the card, unload the module and load it again, always with the good firmware files access.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: