View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: New system planned EFI BIOS involved - first questions Reply with quote

Hi all,
want to build a new box socket 1150 soon.
My current box is socket 775 based. I have two hdd: sata1 is Gentoo,
sata2 is Windows 7 64bit. Bootloader is grub2.
The new BIOS is a EFI BIOS; the necessary changes to the system
are still Greek to me.

More important for now are the questions whether or not I can
- keep that kind of dual-boot on two hdd
and
- will have to reinstall my Gentoo system to make way for EFI partition
or
- must separate the two operating systems alltogether

That´ll be all for now; as I said I still struggle with the basics needed to make booting
on a EFI system doable.

It might not be possible to just unplug the Gentoo hdd, reinstall Windows and plug in
my Gentoo hdd again afterwards I suppose? LOL

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:D
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing you are going need to check, is on the Windows 7, is if it's installed in bios or uefi mode. Windows 7 (at least my copy did for sure) defaulted to bios mode on installing, so did not use UEFI at all. I actually had to make a usb windows boot drive, to get the windows installer to boot in uefi to use UEFI. Otherwise it wouldn't use UEFI. The key on UEFI and Bios is that UEFI mode changes from the base partition type in addition to needing additional partitions on windows (windows installer will set up a EFI partition if it doesn't find one on any drive, doesn't matter which drive it's on. The installer will setup the normal data drive and a protected drive, that I don't know what use is for that). Otherwise, Windows and linux is perfectly happy to coexist with each other in UEFI. I know in bios mode the windows installer refused to do anything if it saw linux on anything.

As far as installing Gentoo, you don't need to do much different. The big thing is that you need to use a GPT aware tool (i.e. gparted) to setup your partitions for linux. Also, setting up the boot partition is a little tricky in that grub2 needs the system boot up through UEFI ahead of time, to set it up properly. Do note, the regular gentoo install cd does NOT boot in UEFI. So you need to boot with the systemrescure cd or download a copy of like Fedora or Ubuntu and boot up with that and setup linux through that boot cd.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows is practically guaranteed to panic under these conditions. If you have a license you should be able to reinstall it. If it is a factory install then your license is tied to the hardware and you simply can't, but you might be able to put it in a virtual machine. I'm about a week away from trying to visualize my windows install, so I don't have any more details.

You will need EFI compatible live media, I recommend the system rescue CD. I don't think the minimal install CDs are compatible, but I haven't checked in a while.

As for Gentoo on EFI, it is actually quite painless (this is pure Gentoo with no windows). I would recommend new partitions without any question. If you are planning to buy new disks than this is trivial.

First, use GPT partitions. They are more flexible than the older MBR and required for EFI.
Second, you need a data partition formatted in FAT32. This is basically the equivalent of /boot for the entire computer. About 500 mb should do it.

You should be able to resync (or otherwise transfer) your Gentoo install over. You will need to rebuild your kernel and install a few utilities. There are several approaches that you can use next.

1) no bootloader. EFI includes a boot loader in the bios. In most cases this is the best option.
2) Use rEFInd. It autodetects OSes to boot and is more like a conventional bootloader.
3) use grub. I think this is a rather hacky approach, but apparently it works. The reason I say it is hacky is because there are better tools for the job and it seems to require bending over backwards with configuration to get it to work and it works by mimicking the behavior of an older system. Using grub also requires special partitioning as described in the handbook.

Personally number 1 is my preferred choice. It does not slow down the boot process at all, but the menu can be accessed in the same way that the bios menu would. Namely, this would be by pressing a specific key during boot. For me it is F12. There is a wiki on this with more detailed instructions.

It is important to note that both options 1 require you to build your kernel command line into the kernel. It is possible to pass the options using rEFInd, but that is a bit more complicated so it is easier just to build them into the kernel.

Okay, now for the slightly more complex case of dual booting with windows. If you install windows in EFI mode it should create the FAT32 partition. In this cause you would basically just want to use options 1 or 2 from above using the same FAT32 partition for both windows and Linux. There is a wiki on this too, but I don't think it is particularly helpful.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. Looks like more Greek ;).
The Windows 7 install is without EFI of course; the mainboard that´s
currently the heart and bones of my box ( P45 chipset + Core2Duo E 8400 ) doesn´t need any EFI partition.
The new mainboard ( Z97X chipset with i7 ) on the other hand will need it though.
I figure Windows installer creates a EFI partition when it detects hardware that requires it.
Until now all I had to do after building a new system was setting up the kernel for Gentoo
and reinstalling Windows 7 with my Windows disc and license. Piece of cake. This is about to change.

Looks like I will have to decide on the future of my box.

My Gentoo drive will need a fat32 partition for EFI in addition to the usual boot partition
which means that I have to wipe the current drive or put a new drive in and rsync the system
onto that new drive or it´s lost.
My two hdd setup with Windows on the second drive obviously does not
have a future.
With old grub this is what it looked like:
Code:
title=Gentoo-3.11.4
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-3.11.4-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 \
video=uvesafb:1280x1024-24@60,mtrr:3,ywrap,vga=795 splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:natural_gentoo \
fbcon=scrollback:128K quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 \
initrd /boot/initramfs-bootsplash

title 7
  map (hd0) (hd1)
  map (hd1) (hd0)
  root (hd1,0)
  rootnoverify
  makeactive
  chainloader +1

This clarifies how my box is set up; grub2 doesn´t need the grub.conf anymore, naturally.
I am posting the grub.conf only to show just how my setup currently looks like.

If I want to hold on to this two hdd set up I might run into problems because of EFI?
Makes me wonder whether leaving Gentoo on the old system and building a separate PC with the new hardware
and Windows running it might be easier.
Would be a shame though, wouldn´t it?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

1) no bootloader. EFI includes a boot loader in the bios. In most cases this is the best option.

How does this work through kernel upgrades?
When that shiny new kernel doesn't boot, how do you step back to the old one? (Is external media the only way?)
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like more Greek
I'll try to translate. :wink:

Quote:
I figure Windows installer creates a EFI partition when it detects hardware that requires it.
It might. It looks like you might also have to manually select the correct boot option for the windows installer. Again, I have no personal experience with this.
Quote:
My Gentoo drive will need a fat32 partition for EFI in addition to the usual boot partition
Actually, no. You can use the windows FAT32 partition for the entire system. More accurately, EFI is only looking for one such partition.
Quote:
which means that I have to wipe the current drive or put a new drive in and rsync the system onto that new drive or it´s lost.
If you need to change the partition table, this sounds about right. However, I would use the cliche you have backups, right? An external hard drive and rsnapshot could solve this and give you a good backup scheme in the process.
Quote:
My two hdd setup with Windows on the second drive obviously does not have a future
I don't think this is a problem at all. It should work as well as before. The only difference would be that the Gentoo disk might depend on the FAT32 partition of the windows disk.
Quote:
If I want to hold on to this two hdd set up I might run into problems because of EFI?
You shouldn't. EFI just changes how the computer behaves in the early boot process. The only thing that should change is the way the OSs are loaded.
Quote:
Makes me wonder whether leaving Gentoo on the old system and building a separate PC with the new hardware and Windows running it might be easier.
I bet that option is always easier.

But once you grasp the changes in how EFI works I doubt this will be a consideration. The first time through you need to relearn how the system boots. After that it just sort of makes sense.

I'll try and break down how it works. When you press the power button the BIOS does its thing and then looks for a specially marked FAT32 partition. It then loads the program stored EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi. However, this is configurable. In Linux the efibootmgr tool can be used to modify this. The boot process then proceeds as before. There can be any number of kernels from any number of OSs that the BIOS is made aware of. These can be selected through a menu in the BIOS the same way you would select from grub.

If you want to use rEFInd, then it loads the executable which does some stuff on its own to generate a menu in a sort of grub way instead of loading a full OS.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

How does this work through kernel upgrades?
When that shiny new kernel doesn't boot, how do you step back to the old one? (Is external media the only way?)

Somehow I missed this earlier.

It works basically the same way as with a conventional boot loader. The only difference is that naming new entries is a bit difficult, so what I do is have two entries with persistent names. One is the default bootx64.efi for the main kernel and the other is vmlinuz.efi for the backup. If bootx64.efi fails then the last working kernel is available.

EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Doctor, gonna read up and start with the Wiki you´ve indicated.
Looks like I should make the Windows drive first sata then.
I haven´t bought the hardware yet.
I won´t build the new system until I have understood every step of the EFI
setup.
Concerning the backup... I have enough backup space for my home stuff but not
for the whole system. I could take advantage of the situation and install a clean
Gentoo; clear out package.keywords and package.use that have grown wayyyy to long.

Thank you very much for now :)
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that I have fallen behind which is dangerous. Keeping up with other people´s pace is a constant challenge
which is why I will have that new system for both Gentoo and Windows.
Found :
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-995960-highlight-uefi.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-997680-highlight-uefi.html

they´re all a billion miles ahead of me :cry:
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi transsib,

although it's targeted at Windows 8 / Gentoo dual boot (rather than Win 7), you might want to have a quick look at the tutorial I recently posted on the wiki: EFI Gentoo End to End Install.

sakaki
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Sakaki. This looks awesome.
I make it part of the homework although you have
an initramfs there.
:)
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

If you want to use rEFInd, then it loads the executable which does some stuff on its own to generate a menu in a sort of grub way instead of loading a full OS.

From what I can tell, rEFInd isn't in portage. Is it in some overlay, or do you just build from the source tarball on your own?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html
lots of ways but not emerge
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys and friends,
I so love Gentoo...
I know better now: as long as you do not install Windows 8 you can disable UEFI BIOS in BIOS a.k.a. choose "Other OS" in "Secure Boot" ( AMI BIOS ) and everything is as you are used to.

Due to reasons.... I had to buy the components for my new system now:
Intel Z97 chipset ( Sabertooth Mark2 )
XEON Haswell E3-1240 v3
LGA 1150
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 MHZ
my old Nvidia Geforce 460GTX not having performance issues, on the contrary

I just now built that new system and I will have to reinstall Windows 7 tomorrow, without UEFI.

While I honour the concept of protecting users from Boot Malware and dangerous Viruses in MBR I deplore the fact that
anyone using Windows 8 and having to use a boot signature is condemned to give up Gentoo; actually.
I know of two Linux distros that have signed keys for UEFI, Ubuntu and Fedora and ALL other Linux distros are
excluded from that privilege.
And what about baking your own kernel and copying that into your boot partition? A thing of the past.

So....

Could I boot Gentoo from a Linux bootable USB stick? IF ... if I´d want Windows 8 at all ? ;)

This system is a MONSTER and I am sooooo happy, sorry... :D
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secure Boot and UEFI are not the same thing. Confusion results because UEFI is required for Secure Boot to be implemented. M$ has influenced UEFI board makers to include Secure Boot as default on UEFI boards. M$ has also required that Secure Boot be capable of being turned off. (for win 8 certification.) You can be uefi without secure boot.

How to have linux and secure boot is described here http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html .

Quote:
I know better now: as long as you do not install Windows 8 you can disable UEFI BIOS in BIOS a.k.a. choose "Other OS" in "Secure Boot" ( AMI BIOS ) and everything is as you are used to.
Selecting Other OS does not disable uefi, it disables Secure Boot on ASUS motherboards.

I have Windows 7 in uefi on one machine and Windows 8 in uefi on another; both machines are dual booting with Gentoo in uefi. The win 8 machine triple boots with a non uefi gentoo courtesy of rEFInd.

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected DONAHUE
Quote:
Secure Boot and UEFI are not the same thing. Confusion results because UEFI is required for Secure Boot to be implemented. M$ has influenced UEFI board makers to include Secure Boot as default on UEFI boards. M$ has also required that Secure Boot be capable of being turned off. (for win 8 certification.) You can be uefi without secure boot.

I still know nothing.
:(
Somehow following your link leads nowhere unfortunately, sorry.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing fine.
Please try the link again. Sorry, I managed to put a . for the end of sentence too close so that it became part of the url.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html

Rod is the fount of all knowledge for UEFI, boot managers, and boot loaders. He shows up here from time to time as srs5694 .
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set UEFI BIOS to "OtherOS". I still get a "boot device not ready message"; that mobo has
nifty LEDs on board for hdd, ram, cpu, and pcie video so that you can see the error indicated by a red
LED too 8)

To sum it up again:
SATA 1 Gentoo
SATA2 Windows 7 ( will format this drive to prepare for reinstallation )

Present config:
grub 2 on MBR SATA 1 loading Gentoo or Win
no GPT partitioning => normal MBR

Let´s assume for a sec that I want to change that what are the steps to take?

Kernel needs EFI, EFI stubs and command line
change label to gpt => rewrite MBR
need kernel image on /boot/efi folder ( ??? )
and kernel command line to point EFI boot loader to that image

I must say this turns out to become a large experiment. There is also the fact that most make.conf
options for this CPU need to get optimized: cat proc/cpuinfo shows 7 procs yet makeopts are currently set to j5
which might be safer for compiling though (?)
My working gcc version is 4.7.3-r1 so that I could use values for i7 according to this guide
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS#Core_i3.2Fi5.2Fi7_with_AVX2_instructions_.28Haswell.29
CPU is XEON E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz Haswell.

So many question...
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Legacy OPROM it is for the time being...
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still get a "boot device not ready message"
; is this just an annoying message or are you unable to boot?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm involved in the same process right now, having about the same luck. (I'm attempting to use rEFInd.)

I used SystemRescue on a USB to install Gentoo, but was unable to get it to boot from the hard drive - the UEFI didn't seem to recognize that anything was there.

Eventually I discovered that SystemRescue had been booting in BIOS mode, because CSM was enabled and I guess it chooses BIOS mode first. I would have expected it to try UEFI first, but no. So I turned off CSM and rebooted from USB, and lo and behold, not only were the SystemRescue options there, but so was my hard drive installation.

First oddity booting from my hard drive installation was that it asked me for my keymap. I'm used to that on SystemRescue, but never saw that on any kernel I ever built, and I'd started this kernel config from one of my existing ones. Next I got to root, and decided to try "startx" just to watch it fizz. No go. It appears to have KMS problems. I modprobed "radeon", which included kms_helper, which I would think would have fixed things, but still no-go. This is a Kaveri system, and I get the impression that I should really be using radeonsi, but the radeon messages say it supports Kaveri.

Next I booted from SystemRescue in UEFI, which went as it always has. Except now I can't run startx there either, same symptoms, same "modprobe radeon" fails to fix it.

One mile strangeness here that came from some Gentoo instructions...
/dev/sda1 is VFAT with the efi boot marking
/dev/sda2 is ext4 and I think I'm using it as a classical /boot, so :
/dev/sda1 /boot/efi vfat (etc)
/dev/sda2 /boot ext4 (etc)
/dev/sda3 / ext4 (etc)
Maybe this is in fact the root of my problems, maybe I should just abandon /dev/sda2 and make /dev/sda1 /boot. There are so many different UEFI instructions, all slightly different.

But at this point I figured that my initial failure to get the efi boot working was because I'd installed and done everything in BIOS mode. So I booted in UEFI mode, made sure I ran "modprobe efivars", wiped my efi partition, and reran the refind installer, this time with the "--root /mnt/gentoo" option. It worked significantly harder, and gave me a little hate-mail about bootx64.efi - so I wiped again and found boot/bootx64.efi and copied that to both /mnt/gentoo/boot/efi and /mnt/gentoo/boot/efi/EFI. (It seems that refind creates an EFI directory in /boot/efi.)

Still no-go. Running "efibootmgr -v" prints a bunch of information, and my hard drive is there embedded in one line, but it doesn't have a separate entry. Trying to boot in UEFI is no-go, back to the UEFI screens. Trying to boot with CSM enabled tells me that there's nothing to boot.

There appear to be no terribly clear or properly verbose diagnostics or instructions. Reading principle UEFI docs looks like recursive TLA and FLA time generally, with little practical information. I get many versions of rote or I get theory with nothing practical. It looks quite over-engineered.

If someone's got the link I've been missing, I'd appreciate. I'm very close to starting over, this time in MBR mode, since I now know what that CSM item really does on the setup screen. I'd like to give one or two more shots at UEFI, assuming I can get some decent information.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DONAHUE
On first boot-up the UEFI BIOS seems to look for a efi partition although I have set all options to boot legacy mbr
in BIOS. But it just takes a little longer. As soon as the BIOS is done searching I get my grub2 screen and I can boot up
either OS as usual.
The message just makes me nervous. I believe that because I have a such a nifty mobo now sooner or later I just
have to get UEFI boot working both for Gentoo and Windows.
But I don´t want to sit in front of the screen one day and read that my precious kernel might be a root-kit and it won´t get booted.

I also don´t love to have to reinstall Gentoo because I gotta repartition for gpt. Reinstalling Windows is no big deal with that fast system I now have;
it´s done in a blink of an eye and Gentoo shouldn´t take too long either but my Gentoo is so nicely set-up...
I could convert the Windows system partition 0 over to gpt; I have found a small howto on Microsofts TechNet. It is risky yet doable.
But Gentoo is something entirely different.

And what depontious said is so right... I would never have been able to express it just like that. I am feeling like that donkey standing between two stacks
of hay but starves because he just cannot make up his mind.

If I make the wrong decision all I will have left are two broken systems.

Quote:
If someone's got the link I've been missing, I'd appreciate. I'm very close to starting over, this time in MBR mode, since I now know what that CSM item really does on the setup screen. I'd like to give one or two more shots at UEFI, assuming I can get some decent information.

depontius, makes two of us :P
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question, this time a specific one... Framebuffer in the kernel

At some point there seemed to be a common wisdom that the simpler the better of framebuffer, noting complex or chip-specific. For one of my regular (BIOS boot) systems I have:
Code:
CONFIG_X86_SYSFB=y
CONFIG_IFB=m
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_I915_FBDEV=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=m
CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=m
CONFIG_FB_SYS_FILLRECT=m
CONFIG_FB_SYS_COPYAREA=m
CONFIG_FB_SYS_IMAGEBLIT=m
CONFIG_FB_DEFERRED_IO=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y

and I've been happy with it.

Clearly I'm using it, because the boot goes through about a page in big-old-text mode, then switches to much higher resolution text. The UEFI instructions advise adding a few more EFI-related options, and I believe I've added the specifics that have been suggested. However when booted in EFI mode I can't startx, which seems to cite modesetting problems.

Does anyone using UEFI have the magic (or even their own) forumula for framebuffer config in the kernel?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your firmware will differ.
fglrx:
Quote:
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
-*- Userspace firmware loading support
[*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
(radeon/PITCAIRN_ce.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_mc.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_me.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_pfp.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_rlc.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_smc.bin radeon/TAHITI_uvd.bin) External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary
(/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory
Graphics support --->
<*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) --->
<*> AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
< > Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
< > SiS chipset support
< > VIA chipset support
-*- VGA Arbitration
(2) Maximum number of GPUs
[ ] Laptop Hybrid Graphics - GPU switching support
< > Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
<*> Support for frame buffer devices --->
--- Support for frame buffer devices
[*] Enable firmware EDID
[ ] Framebuffer foreign endianness support ----
[*] Enable Video Mode Handling Helpers
[*] Enable Tile Blitting Support
*** Frame buffer hardware drivers ***
< > Cirrus Logic support
< > Permedia2 support
< > CyberPro 2000/2010/5000 support
< > Arc Monochrome LCD board support
[ ] Asiliant (Chips) 69000 display support
[ ] IMS Twin Turbo display support
< > VGA 16-color graphics support
< > Userspace VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] VESA VGA graphics support
[*] EFI-based Framebuffer Support
< > N411 Apollo/Hecuba devkit support
< > Hercules mono graphics support
< > Epson S1D13XXX framebuffer support
< > nVidia Framebuffer Support
< > nVidia Riva support
< > Intel740 support
< > Intel LE80578 (Vermilion) support
< > Matrox acceleration
< > ATI Radeon display support
< > ATI Rage128 display support
< > ATI Mach64 display support
< > S3 Trio/Virge support
< > S3 Savage support
< > SiS/XGI display support
< > VIA UniChrome (Pro) and Chrome9 display support
< > NeoMagic display support
< > IMG Kyro support
< > 3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5 display support
< > 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (sst1) support
< > VIA VT8623 support
< > Trident/CyberXXX/CyberBlade support
< > ARK 2000PV support
< > Permedia3 support
< > Fujitsu carmine frame buffer support
< > SMSC UFX6000/7000 USB Framebuffer support
< > Displaylink USB Framebuffer support
< > Goldfish Framebuffer
< > Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!)
< > E-Ink Metronome/8track controller support
< > Fujitsu MB862xx GDC support
< > E-Ink Broadsheet/Epson S1D13521 controller support
< > AUO-K190X EPD controller support
[ ] Simple framebuffer support
[ ] Exynos Video driver support ----
[*] Backlight & LCD device support --->
--- Backlight & LCD device support
<*> Lowlevel LCD controls
< > Platform LCD controls
<*> Lowlevel Backlight controls
< > Generic (aka Sharp Corgi) Backlight Driver
< > Apple Backlight Driver
< > Tabletkiosk Sahara Touch-iT Backlight Driver
< > Backlight Driver for ADP8860/ADP8861/ADP8863 using WLED
< > Backlight Driver for ADP8870 using WLED
< > Backlight Driver for LM3630A
< > Backlight Driver for LM3639
< > Backlight driver for TI LP855X
< > Sanyo LV5207LP Backlight
< > Rohm BD6107 Backlight
Console display driver support --->
-*- VGA text console
[*] Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
(256) Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
<*> Framebuffer Console support
[ ] Map the console to the primary display device
[ ] Framebuffer Console Rotation
[*] Bootup logo --->
--- Bootup logo
[ ] Standard black and white Linux logo
[ ] Standard 16-color Linux logo
[*] Standard 224-color Linux logo
radeon:
Quote:
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
-*- Userspace firmware loading support
[*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
(radeon/PITCAIRN_ce.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_mc.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_me.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_pfp.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_rlc.bin radeon/PITCAIRN_smc.bin radeon/TAHITI_uvd.bin) External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary
(/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory

Graphics support --->
<*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) --->
<*> AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
< > Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
< > SiS chipset support
< > VIA chipset support
-*- VGA Arbitration
(2) Maximum number of GPUs
[ ] Laptop Hybrid Graphics - GPU switching support
<*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
I2C encoder or helper chips --->
< > 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+ (NEW)
< > ATI Rage 128 (NEW)
<*> ATI Radeon
[ ] Enable userspace modesetting on radeon (DEPRECATED) (NEW)
< > Nouveau (nVidia) cards (NEW)
< > Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics (NEW)
< > Matrox g200/g400 (NEW)
< > SiS video cards (NEW)
< > Via unichrome video cards (NEW)
< > Savage video cards (NEW)
< > DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU (NEW)
< > Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer (NEW)
< > DisplayLink (NEW)
< > AST server chips (NEW)
< > Kernel modesetting driver for MGA G200 server engines (NEW)
< > Cirrus driver for QEMU emulated device (NEW)
< > QXL virtual GPU (NEW)
< > DRM Support for bochs dispi vga interface (qemu stdvga) (NEW)
<*> Support for frame buffer devices --->
--- Support for frame buffer devices
[*] Enable firmware EDID
[ ] Framebuffer foreign endianness support ----
[*] Enable Video Mode Handling Helpers
[*] Enable Tile Blitting Support
*** Frame buffer hardware drivers ***
< > Cirrus Logic support
< > Permedia2 support
< > CyberPro 2000/2010/5000 support
< > Arc Monochrome LCD board support
[ ] Asiliant (Chips) 69000 display support
[ ] IMS Twin Turbo display support
< > VGA 16-color graphics support
< > Userspace VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] EFI-based Framebuffer Support
< > N411 Apollo/Hecuba devkit support
< > Hercules mono graphics support
< > Epson S1D13XXX framebuffer support
< > nVidia Framebuffer Support
< > nVidia Riva support
< > Intel740 support
< > Intel LE80578 (Vermilion) support
< > Matrox acceleration
< > ATI Radeon display support
< > ATI Rage128 display support
< > ATI Mach64 display support
< > S3 Trio/Virge support
< > S3 Savage support
< > SiS/XGI display support
< > VIA UniChrome (Pro) and Chrome9 display support
< > NeoMagic display support
< > IMG Kyro support
< > 3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5 display support
< > 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (sst1) support
< > VIA VT8623 support
< > Trident/CyberXXX/CyberBlade support
< > ARK 2000PV support
< > Permedia3 support
< > Fujitsu carmine frame buffer support
< > SMSC UFX6000/7000 USB Framebuffer support
< > Displaylink USB Framebuffer support
< > Goldfish Framebuffer
< > Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!)
< > E-Ink Metronome/8track controller support
< > Fujitsu MB862xx GDC support
< > E-Ink Broadsheet/Epson S1D13521 controller support
< > AUO-K190X EPD controller support
[ ] Simple framebuffer support
[ ] Exynos Video driver support ----
[*] Backlight & LCD device support --->
--- Backlight & LCD device support
<*> Lowlevel LCD controls
< > Platform LCD controls
<*> Lowlevel Backlight controls
< > Generic (aka Sharp Corgi) Backlight Driver
< > Apple Backlight Driver
< > Tabletkiosk Sahara Touch-iT Backlight Driver
< > Backlight Driver for ADP8860/ADP8861/ADP8863 using WLED
< > Backlight Driver for ADP8870 using WLED
< > Backlight Driver for LM3630A
< > Backlight Driver for LM3639
< > Backlight driver for TI LP855X
< > Sanyo LV5207LP Backlight
< > Rohm BD6107 Backlight
Console display driver support --->
-*- VGA text console
[*] Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
(256) Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
<*> Framebuffer Console support
[ ] Map the console to the primary display device
[ ] Framebuffer Console Rotation
[*] Bootup logo --->
--- Bootup logo
[ ] Standard black and white Linux logo
[ ] Standard 16-color Linux logo
[*] Standard 224-color Linux logo
with radeon, efi framebuffer has sometimes worked sometimes not

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not quite up to debugging X yet, since I still can't boot from the hard drive. I have however captured the failing Xorg.0.log and will be popping that up here at some point.

This evening I booted SystemRescue in BIOS mode, so X would work, and quit using that extra ext2 partition, basically using /dev/sda3 as root and my VFAT and properly tagged /dev/sda1 partition as boot. I rebuilt the kernel checking options, but I don't think I changed anything. Then I got back to BIOS, turned CSM off, and rebooted SystemRescue, this time in UEFI mode. Again, startx doesn't work even for SystemRescue, but I mounted root and boot and ran the refind install script, properly pointing "-root /dev/sda3". It still complained and said I might need to do some manual renaming. I did as it suggested, and it still doesn't find my hard drive.

There is someone, maybe more than one, with this same motherboard on the Arch forums who has never gotten his hard drive recognized properly.

I'd still like to get this working correctly - I'm sure it's some stupid little nit that I'm missing.

When booting in UEFI mode, rEFInd sees the kernel I just built and is willing to boot it. It is of course not the default, and I'm not sure that it could be made so, since it's being dynamically detected. I suppose I could get going that way. Now that I mantion it, here is Xorg.0.log from when trying to run startx with SystemRescue booted in UEFI mode. Please keep in mind that this is their configuration, not mine, and it runs in BIOS mode.
Code:
[    72.522]
X.Org X Server 1.15.0
Release Date: 2013-12-27
[    72.522] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[    72.522] Build Operating System: Linux 3.4.99-fd01 i686 Gentoo
[    72.522] Current Operating System: Linux sysresccd 3.10.53-std431-amd64 #2 SMP Fri Aug 15 21:36:03 UTC 2014 x86_64
[    72.522] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/syslinux/rescue64
[    72.522] Build Date: 10 September 2014  03:11:18AM
[    72.522] 
[    72.522] Current version of pixman: 0.32.4
[    72.522]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
[    72.522] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    72.522] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Oct  4 07:24:40 2014
[    72.525] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[    72.540] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[    72.540] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[    72.540] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[    72.540] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[    72.540] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
   Using a default monitor configuration.
[    72.540] (==) Automatically adding devices
[    72.540] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[    72.540] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[    72.544] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
[    72.544]    Entry deleted from font path.
[    72.545] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
[    72.545]    Entry deleted from font path.
[    72.545]    (Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/").
[    72.545] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.
[    72.545]    Entry deleted from font path.
[    72.545] (==) FontPath set to:
   /usr/share/fonts/misc/,
   /usr/share/fonts/TTF/,
   /usr/share/fonts/Type1/
[    72.545] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[    72.545] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
   If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[    72.545] (II) Loader magic: 0x81cb604
[    72.545] (II) Module ABI versions:
[    72.545]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[    72.545]    X.Org Video Driver: 15.0
[    72.545]    X.Org XInput driver : 20.0
[    72.545]    X.Org Server Extension : 8.0
[    72.547] (--) PCI:*(0:0:1:0) 1002:130f:1849:130f rev 0, Mem @ 0xc0000000/268435456, 0xd0000000/8388608, 0xff700000/262144, I/O @ 0x0000f000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[    72.547] Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
[    72.547] Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
[    72.547] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
[    72.547] Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
[    72.547] Initializing built-in extension XTEST
[    72.547] Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
[    72.547] Initializing built-in extension SYNC
[    72.549] Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[    72.551] Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
[    72.552] Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
[    72.553] Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
[    72.554] Initializing built-in extension RENDER
[    72.555] Initializing built-in extension RANDR
[    72.556] Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
[    72.556] Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
[    72.557] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[    72.558] Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[    72.559] Initializing built-in extension RECORD
[    72.560] Initializing built-in extension DPMS
[    72.560] Initializing built-in extension Present
[    72.561] Initializing built-in extension DRI3
[    72.562] Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
[    72.562] Initializing built-in extension XVideo
[    72.563] Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[    72.564] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[    72.565] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
[    72.565] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
[    72.566] Initializing built-in extension DRI2
[    72.566] (II) "glx" will be loaded by default.
[    72.566] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[    72.566] (II) Module "dri2" already built-in
[    72.566] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
[    72.567] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
[    72.739] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    72.739]    compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 0.6.0
[    72.739]    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[    72.739] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[    72.740] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
[    72.740] (II) UnloadModule: "glx"
[    72.740] (II) Unloading glx
[    72.740] (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
[    72.740] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 0
[    72.740] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 1
[    72.740] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 2
[    72.740] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 3
[    72.740] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[    72.740] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    72.740] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[    72.759] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    72.759]    compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 7.3.0
[    72.759]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    72.759]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    72.759] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[    72.759] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[    72.808] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    72.808]    compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 7.3.0
[    72.808]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    72.808]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    72.808] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[    72.808] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[    72.814] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    72.814]    compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 0.8.1
[    72.814]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    72.814]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    72.814] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[    72.815] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[    72.815] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[    72.815] (II) Unloading fbdev
[    72.815] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[    72.815] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[    72.815] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[    72.829] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    72.829]    compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 2.3.3
[    72.829]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    72.829]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    72.829] (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets:
   ATI Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) 3150 (PCIE), ATI FireMV 2400 (PCI),
   ATI Radeon Mobility X300 (M24) 3152 (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL M24 GL 3154 (PCIE), ATI FireMV 2400 3155 (PCI),
   ATI Radeon X600 (RV380) 3E50 (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL V3200 (RV380) 3E54 (PCIE), ATI Radeon IGP320 (A3) 4136,
   ATI Radeon IGP330/340/350 (A4) 4137, ATI Radeon 9500 AD (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9500 AE (AGP), ATI Radeon 9600TX AF (AGP),
   ATI FireGL Z1 AG (AGP), ATI Radeon 9800SE AH (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9800 AI (AGP), ATI Radeon 9800 AJ (AGP),
   ATI FireGL X2 AK (AGP), ATI Radeon 9600 AP (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9600SE AQ (AGP), ATI Radeon 9600XT AR (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9600 AS (AGP), ATI FireGL T2 AT (AGP), ATI Radeon 9650,
   ATI FireGL RV360 AV (AGP), ATI Radeon 7000 IGP (A4+) 4237,
   ATI Radeon 8500 AIW BB (AGP), ATI Radeon IGP320M (U1) 4336,
   ATI Radeon IGP330M/340M/350M (U2) 4337,
   ATI Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP 4437, ATI Radeon 9000/PRO If (AGP/PCI),
   ATI Radeon 9000 Ig (AGP/PCI), ATI Radeon X800 (R420) JH (AGP),
   ATI Radeon X800PRO (R420) JI (AGP),
   ATI Radeon X800SE (R420) JJ (AGP), ATI Radeon X800 (R420) JK (AGP),
   ATI Radeon X800 (R420) JL (AGP), ATI FireGL X3 (R420) JM (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9800 (M18) JN (AGP),
   ATI Radeon X800 SE (R420) (AGP), ATI Radeon X800XT (R420) JP (AGP),
   ATI Radeon X800 VE (R420) JT (AGP), ATI Radeon X850 (R480) (AGP),
   ATI Radeon X850 XT (R480) (AGP), ATI Radeon X850 SE (R480) (AGP),
   ATI Radeon X850 PRO (R480) (AGP), ATI Radeon X850 XT PE (R480) (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW (AGP),
   ATI Mobility FireGL 7800 M7 LX (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (AGP), ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LZ (AGP),
   ATI FireGL Mobility 9000 (M9) Ld (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lf (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lg (AGP), ATI FireMV 2400 PCI,
   ATI Radeon 9700 Pro ND (AGP), ATI Radeon 9700/9500Pro NE (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9600TX NF (AGP), ATI FireGL X1 NG (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9800PRO NH (AGP), ATI Radeon 9800 NI (AGP),
   ATI FireGL X2 NK (AGP), ATI Radeon 9800XT NJ (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 (M10) NQ (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 (M11) NR (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 (M10) NS (AGP),
   ATI FireGL Mobility T2 (M10) NT (AGP),
   ATI FireGL Mobility T2e (M11) NV (AGP), ATI Radeon QD (AGP),
   ATI Radeon QE (AGP), ATI Radeon QF (AGP), ATI Radeon QG (AGP),
   ATI FireGL 8700/8800 QH (AGP), ATI Radeon 8500 QL (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9100 QM (AGP), ATI Radeon 7500 QW (AGP/PCI),
   ATI Radeon 7500 QX (AGP/PCI), ATI Radeon VE/7000 QY (AGP/PCI),
   ATI Radeon VE/7000 QZ (AGP/PCI), ATI ES1000 515E (PCI),
   ATI Radeon Mobility X300 (M22) 5460 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon Mobility X600 SE (M24C) 5462 (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL M22 GL 5464 (PCIE), ATI Radeon X800 (R423) UH (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X800PRO (R423) UI (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X800LE (R423) UJ (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X800SE (R423) UK (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X800 XTP (R430) (PCIE), ATI Radeon X800 XL (R430) (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X800 SE (R430) (PCIE), ATI Radeon X800 (R430) (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL V7100 (R423) (PCIE), ATI FireGL V5100 (R423) UQ (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL unknown (R423) UR (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL unknown (R423) UT (PCIE),
   ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 (M26) (PCIE),
   ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 (M26) (PCIE),
   ATI Mobility Radeon X700 XL (M26) (PCIE),
   ATI Mobility Radeon X700 (M26) (PCIE),
   ATI Mobility Radeon X700 (M26) (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X550XTX 5657 (PCIE), ATI Radeon 9100 IGP (A5) 5834,
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9100 IGP (U3) 5835,
   ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 5954 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE), ATI Radeon 9250 5960 (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9200 5961 (AGP), ATI Radeon 9200 5962 (AGP),
   ATI Radeon 9200SE 5964 (AGP), ATI FireMV 2200 (PCI),
   ATI ES1000 5969 (PCI), ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 5974 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5975 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 5A41 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5A42 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 5A61 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5A62 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X300 (RV370) 5B60 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X600 (RV370) 5B62 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X550 (RV370) 5B63 (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL V3100 (RV370) 5B64 (PCIE),
   ATI FireMV 2200 PCIE (RV370) 5B65 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 (M9+) 5C61 (AGP),
   ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 (M9+) 5C63 (AGP),
   ATI Mobility Radeon X800 XT (M28) (PCIE),
   ATI Mobility FireGL V5100 (M28) (PCIE),
   ATI Mobility Radeon X800 (M28) (PCIE), ATI Radeon X850 5D4C (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X850 XT PE (R480) (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X850 SE (R480) (PCIE), ATI Radeon X850 PRO (R480) (PCIE),
   ATI unknown Radeon / FireGL (R480) 5D50 (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X850 XT (R480) (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X800XT (R423) 5D57 (PCIE),
   ATI FireGL V5000 (RV410) (PCIE), ATI Radeon X700 XT (RV410) (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X700 PRO (RV410) (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X700 SE (RV410) (PCIE), ATI Radeon X700 (RV410) (PCIE),
   ATI Radeon X700 SE (RV410) (PCIE), ATI Radeon X1800,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 XT, ATI Mobility Radeon X1800,
   ATI Mobility FireGL V7200, ATI FireGL V7200, ATI FireGL V5300,
   ATI Mobility FireGL V7100, ATI Radeon X1800, ATI Radeon X1800,
   ATI Radeon X1800, ATI Radeon X1800, ATI Radeon X1800,
   ATI FireGL V7300, ATI FireGL V7350, ATI Radeon X1600, ATI RV505,
   ATI Radeon X1300/X1550, ATI Radeon X1550, ATI M54-GL,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550,
   ATI Radeon X1550 64-bit, ATI Mobility Radeon X1300,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, ATI Mobility Radeon X1300,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, ATI Radeon X1300, ATI Radeon X1300,
   ATI RV505, ATI RV505, ATI FireGL V3300, ATI FireGL V3350,
   ATI Radeon X1300, ATI Radeon X1550 64-bit, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550,
   ATI Radeon X1600, ATI Radeon X1300/X1550, ATI Mobility Radeon X1450,
   ATI Radeon X1300/X1550, ATI Mobility Radeon X2300,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X2300, ATI Mobility Radeon X1350,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X1350, ATI Mobility Radeon X1450,
   ATI Radeon X1300, ATI Radeon X1550, ATI Mobility Radeon X1350,
   ATI FireMV 2250, ATI Radeon X1550 64-bit, ATI Radeon X1600,
   ATI Radeon X1650, ATI Radeon X1600, ATI Radeon X1600,
   ATI Mobility FireGL V5200, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600,
   ATI Radeon X1650, ATI Radeon X1650, ATI Radeon X1600,
   ATI Radeon X1300 XT/X1600 Pro, ATI FireGL V3400,
   ATI Mobility FireGL V5250, ATI Mobility Radeon X1700,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 XT, ATI FireGL V5200,
   ATI Mobility Radeon X1700, ATI Radeon X2300HD,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300,
   ATI Radeon X1950, ATI Radeon X1900, ATI Radeon X1950,
   ATI Radeon X1900, ATI Radeon X1900, ATI Radeon X1900,
   ATI AMD Stream Processor, ATI Radeon X1900, ATI Radeon X1950,
   ATI RV560, ATI RV560, ATI Mobility Radeon X1900, ATI RV560,
   ATI Radeon X1950 GT, ATI RV570, ATI RV570, ATI FireGL V7400,
   ATI RV560, ATI Radeon X1650, ATI Radeon X1650, ATI RV560,
   ATI Radeon 9100 PRO IGP 7834, ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 IGP 7835,
   ATI Radeon X1200, ATI Radeon X1200, ATI Radeon X1200,
   ATI Radeon X1200, ATI Radeon X1200, ATI RS740, ATI RS740M, ATI RS740,
   ATI RS740M, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT,
   ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro, ATI Radeon HD 2900 GT,
   ATI FireGL V8650, ATI FireGL V8600, ATI FireGL V7600,
   ATI Radeon 4800 Series, ATI Radeon HD 4870 x2,
   ATI Radeon 4800 Series, ATI Radeon HD 4850 x2,
   ATI FirePro V8750 (FireGL), ATI FirePro V7760 (FireGL),
   ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4850, ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4850 X2,
   ATI Radeon 4800 Series, ATI FirePro RV770, AMD FireStream 9270,
   AMD FireStream 9250, ATI FirePro V8700 (FireGL),
   ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4870, ATI Mobility RADEON M98,
   ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4870, ATI Radeon 4800 Series,
   ATI Radeon 4800 Series, ATI FirePro M7750, ATI M98, ATI M98, ATI M98,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, ATI Radeon RV730 (AGP),
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, ATI FirePro M5750,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, ATI Radeon RV730 (AGP),
   ATI RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670], ATI RADEON E4600,
   ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, ATI RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650],
   ATI FirePro V7750 (FireGL), ATI FirePro V5700 (FireGL),
   ATI FirePro V3750 (FireGL), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850, ATI FirePro M7740, ATI RV740,
   ATI Radeon HD 4770, ATI Radeon HD 4700 Series, ATI Radeon HD 4770,
   ATI FirePro M5750, ATI RV610, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT,
   ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO AGP, ATI FireGL V4000,
   ATI RV610, ATI Radeon HD 2350, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400, ATI RADEON E2400, ATI RV610,
   ATI FireMV 2260, ATI RV670, ATI Radeon HD3870,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3850, ATI Radeon HD3850,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3850 X2, ATI RV670,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 X2,
   ATI Radeon HD3870 X2, ATI FireGL V7700, ATI Radeon HD3850,
   ATI Radeon HD3690, AMD Firestream 9170, ATI Radeon HD 4550,
   ATI Radeon RV710, ATI Radeon RV710, ATI Radeon RV710,
   ATI Radeon HD 4350, ATI Mobility Radeon 4300 Series,
   ATI Mobility Radeon 4500 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon 4500 Series,
   ATI FirePro RG220, ATI Mobility Radeon 4330, ATI RV630,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT,
   ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP,
   ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, ATI Gemini RV630,
   ATI Gemini Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT, ATI FireGL V5600,
   ATI FireGL V3600, ATI Radeon HD 2600 LE,
   ATI Mobility FireGL Graphics Processor, ATI Radeon HD 3470,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series,
   ATI Radeon HD 3450, ATI Radeon HD 3450, ATI Radeon HD 3430,
   ATI Radeon HD 3450, ATI FirePro V3700, ATI FireMV 2450,
   ATI FireMV 2260, ATI FireMV 2260, ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series,
   ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP, ATI Radeon HD 3600 PRO,
   ATI Radeon HD 3600 XT, ATI Radeon HD 3600 PRO,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670,
   ATI Mobility FireGL V5700, ATI Mobility FireGL V5725,
   ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics,
   ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics,
   ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics,
   ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, SUMO, SUMO, SUMO2, SUMO2, SUMO2, SUMO2,
   SUMO, SUMO, SUMO2, SUMO, SUMO, SUMO, SUMO, SUMO, ATI Radeon HD 4200,
   ATI Radeon 4100, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200,
   ATI Mobility Radeon 4100, ATI Radeon HD 4290, ATI Radeon HD 4250,
   AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics,
   AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics, AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics,
   AMD Radeon HD 6300 Series Graphics,
   AMD Radeon HD 6200 Series Graphics, PALM, PALM, PALM, CYPRESS,
   ATI FirePro (FireGL) Graphics Adapter,
   ATI FirePro (FireGL) Graphics Adapter, AMD Firestream 9370,
   AMD Firestream 9350, ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series,
   ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series, ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series,
   ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series, ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series,
   ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series,
   ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, ATI Radeon HD 6700 Series,
   ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, ATI Radeon HD 6700 Series,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5570,
   ATI FirePro (FireGL) Graphics Adapter, ATI Radeon HD 5670,
   ATI Radeon HD 5570, ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series, REDWOOD,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series,
   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics,
   ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics, CEDAR,
   ATI FirePro (FireGL) Graphics Adapter, ATI FirePro 2270, CEDAR,
   ATI Radeon HD 5450, CEDAR, CEDAR, CAYMAN, CAYMAN, CAYMAN, CAYMAN,
   CAYMAN, CAYMAN, CAYMAN, CAYMAN, CAYMAN, CAYMAN,
   AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, CAYMAN, CAYMAN,
   CAYMAN, AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series, Mobility Radeon HD 6000 Series,
   BARTS, BARTS, Mobility Radeon HD 6000 Series,
   Mobility Radeon HD 6000 Series, BARTS, BARTS, BARTS, BARTS,
   AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series,
   AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS,
   TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS,
   TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS, TURKS,
   CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS,
   CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, CAICOS, ARUBA, ARUBA,
   ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA,
   ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, ARUBA, TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI,
   TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI, TAHITI,
   TAHITI, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN,
   PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN, PITCAIRN,
   VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE,
   VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, VERDE,
   VERDE, VERDE, VERDE, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND,
   OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, OLAND, HAINAN, HAINAN, HAINAN,
   HAINAN, HAINAN, HAINAN, BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE,
   BONAIRE, BONAIRE, BONAIRE, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI,
   KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KABINI,
   KABINI, KABINI, KABINI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI,
   KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI,
   KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI, KAVERI,
   HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII,
   HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII, HAWAII
[    72.834] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[    72.834] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[    72.834] (--) using VT number 7

[    72.843] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
[    72.843] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    72.843] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[    72.843] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[    72.843] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    72.843] (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
[    72.843] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    72.843] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[    72.844] (II) Loading sub module "vbe"
[    72.844] (II) LoadModule: "vbe"
[    72.844] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
[    72.856] (II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    72.856]    compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 1.1.0
[    72.856]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    72.856] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
[    72.856] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
[    72.856] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
[    72.857] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    72.857]    compiled for 1.15.0, module version = 1.0.0
[    72.857]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[    72.857] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[    72.858] (EE) VESA(0): V_BIOS address 0xd00 out of range
[    72.858] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[    72.858] (II) UnloadSubModule: "int10"
[    72.858] (II) Unloading int10
[    72.858] (II) UnloadSubModule: "vbe"
[    72.858] (II) Unloading vbe
[    72.858] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[    72.858] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[    72.858] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[    72.858] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[    72.858] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[    72.858] (EE)
[    72.870] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: