wiki.gentoo.org down
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: wiki.gentoo.org down Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I couldn't find a website issue reporting section.

http://wiki.gentoo.org/ has been down for the last 12 hours or so, and as it contains so much information required for a successful install, I was wonderiong if firstly the problem was already in hand, and secondly if there is a mirror?

I've double checked that it's not just my end using sites like http://www.sitestatus.net/ which all agree that there is a problem.

Thoughts, suggestions?
kost20071
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember installing Gentoo a week ago and got really mad that it was down (actually it took a minute+ to load,thought it was down).
You can always use "cached webpage" through google.com .
Something should be done to fix this issue, while I was installing some stuff, I had to use wiki and suddenly it didn't work, really pissed me off :lol:
Took me a while till I remembered that google has this option of "cache" which saves pages, there are other websites you can load gentoo's wiki with this cache option.
http://www.cachedpages.com/
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my frustration when things went wrong I completely forgot to check the google cache. Thanks for reminding me to use it.

The only problem with that approach, is that if the problem one is researching isn't completely understood or identified, then searches don't really help when the cached version is involved. In my particular problem, I had chosen the uClibc stage3 and the handbook doesn't cover or mention it. I ran into problems with timezones and locale which are handled differently in uClibc which wasn't immediately apparent (zoneinfo directory doesn't exist in uClibc so chapter 6 becomes a block) Following search links that may or may not have a solution that also time out, is royally frustrating.

Thanks for the reply.
Sulman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's annoyingly common (I'm a document freak, I refer to it a lot).
kost20071
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squelch_ wrote:
In my frustration when things went wrong I completely forgot to check the google cache. Thanks for reminding me to use it.

The only problem with that approach, is that if the problem one is researching isn't completely understood or identified, then searches don't really help when the cached version is involved. In my particular problem, I had chosen the uClibc stage3 and the handbook doesn't cover or mention it. I ran into problems with timezones and locale which are handled differently in uClibc which wasn't immediately apparent (zoneinfo directory doesn't exist in uClibc so chapter 6 becomes a block) Following search links that may or may not have a solution that also time out, is royally frustrating.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, so what I did is to google the specific issue which gave me the gentoo wiki webpage relating to the subject of the issue instead of searching it on gentoo.wiki .
Sure its best when gentoo.wiki works , but it is not the first time and its quite critical for it to work good without problems. Hope they will fix it.
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kost20071 wrote:

Yes, so what I did is to google the specific issue which gave me the gentoo wiki webpage relating to the subject of the issue instead of searching it on gentoo.wiki .
Sure its best when gentoo.wiki works , but it is not the first time and its quite critical for it to work good without problems. Hope they will fix it.

I've updated my post in the installation section which covers my initial issue, so hopefully it will be easier to identify for anyone else that comes across it even when the wiki is unavailable.
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo has their own status page now http://infra-status.gentoo.org/ I'm not sure why it's not just status though, which is easier to remember, and more common :P
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackal wrote:
Gentoo has their own status page now http://infra-status.gentoo.org/ I'm not sure why it's not just status though, which is easier to remember, and more common :P

Brilliant! Thanks for the link - bookmarked.

That really should have more prominence. A search of these forums for status shows this thread ranked third, and the main site has it under "Infrastructure Status" which isn't immediately obvious.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: