Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alcatel Speedtouch USB with 2.6 kernel guide [superceded]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hulmeman
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 184
Location: Duchy of Lancaster, England.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having 2 problems with this, I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB (Frog type),

Problem 1:
I can only load the mgmt.o firmware:
modem_run -k -s -f /usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o
May 16 16:05:43 localhost modem_run[8274]: modem_run version 1.2 started by root uid 0
May 16 16:06:18 localhost modem_run[8476]: [monitoring report] ADSL link went up
May 16 16:06:27 localhost modem_run[8274]: ADSL synchronization has been obtained
May 16 16:06:27 localhost modem_run[8274]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down | 288 kbit/s up)

If I try <firmware.bin> or <KQD6P2.eni> or <alcaudsl.sys> or <boot.v123.bin> I get:
modem_run -k -s -f /usr/share/speedtouch/firmware.bin
May 16 16:22:01 localhost modem_run[8158]: modem_run version 1.2 started by root uid 0

It doesn't bring the link up! I could live with using mgmt.o, but my biggest problem is this:

Problem 2:
When I do: (Whichever firmware)
pppd call adsl
It doesn't do anything but load the generic driver, it doesnt connect or anything??
May 16 16:25:29 localhost kernel: PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Its driving me mad! Obviously I don't get ppp0, or any usefull error messages. Speedtouch works fine with 2.4 kernel.
My /etc/ppp/peers/adsl:
defaultroute
holdoff 4
maxfail 25
persist
asyncmap 0
lcp-echo-interval 2
lcp-echo-failure 7
name "a@b.c"
user "a@b.c"
plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/pppoatm.so
0.38


My /etc/ppp/options:
noauth
usepeerdns
lock
noipdefault


Ive got /dev/ppp, /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/pppoatm.so, speedtch and atm are loaded!
Please help???/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hulmeman
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 184
Location: Duchy of Lancaster, England.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh!!!!
I've sorted it, a couple of ppp_* modules weren't loaded!
Great howto, thanks, tho I still can't get firmware.bin to load.
Baz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrjingles
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 May 2004
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: bizarre Reply with quote

hi everybody, I'm getting this error in the log when I do pppd:

Code:

tail /var/log/messages
May 19 02:14:24 niko pppd[5873]: ioctl(ATM_SETBACKEND): No such device
May 19 02:14:28 niko pppd[5873]: ioctl(ATM_SETBACKEND): No such device
May 19 02:14:32 niko pppd[5873]: ioctl(ATM_SETBACKEND): No such device
May 19 02:14:36 niko pppd[5873]: ioctl(ATM_SETBACKEND): No such device
May 19 02:14:40 niko pppd[5873]: ioctl(ATM_SETBACKEND): No such device
May 19 02:14:44 niko pppd[5873]: ioctl(ATM_SETBACKEND): No such device
May 19 02:14:48 niko pppd[5873]: ioctl(ATM_SETBACKEND): No such device


and I don't know what to do to get It work my connection. thanks in advance.


edit: found the problem. I had to make :

Code:
modprobe pppoatm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mmg
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Sep 2003
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great guide so far..

everytime I start pppd call adsl, I get an error saying:

/usr/lib/pppoatm.so has no initialization entry point

any hints? can't get it to work...

thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjoanes
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 1
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hulmeman wrote:
I'm having 2 problems with this, I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB (Frog type),
...
If I try <firmware.bin> or <KQD6P2.eni> or <alcaudsl.sys> or <boot.v123.bin> I get:
modem_run -k -s -f /usr/share/speedtouch/firmware.bin
May 16 16:22:01 localhost modem_run[8158]: modem_run version 1.2 started by root uid 0

It doesn't bring the link up! ...


I've been seeing similar problems. I'm using kernel 2.6.5 from gentoo-dev-sources. My usb is using the uhci_hcd module for my VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller. Attempting to unload the usb modules causes rmmod to wait indefinitely.

I have the "firmware.bin" file because I've found it to be the best with my v2 (red) modem. I've also found that modem_run 1.2 doesn't load the firmware or sync the ADSL (it just exits). However, with the machine freshly rebooted I can get it to work using modem_run v1.2-beta1.

Unfortunately, improving this situation would seem to require fixes to both the kernel and modem_run.

- Peter Joanes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OneOfOne
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 May 2003
Posts: 368
Location: Alexandria, Egypt

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjoanes wrote:
hulmeman wrote:
I'm having 2 problems with this, I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB (Frog type),
...
If I try <firmware.bin> or <KQD6P2.eni> or <alcaudsl.sys> or <boot.v123.bin> I get:
modem_run -k -s -f /usr/share/speedtouch/firmware.bin
May 16 16:22:01 localhost modem_run[8158]: modem_run version 1.2 started by root uid 0

It doesn't bring the link up! ...


I've been seeing similar problems. I'm using kernel 2.6.5 from gentoo-dev-sources. My usb is using the uhci_hcd module for my VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller. Attempting to unload the usb modules causes rmmod to wait indefinitely.

I have the "firmware.bin" file because I've found it to be the best with my v2 (red) modem. I've also found that modem_run 1.2 doesn't load the firmware or sync the ADSL (it just exits). However, with the machine freshly rebooted I can get it to work using modem_run v1.2-beta1.

Unfortunately, improving this situation would seem to require fixes to both the kernel and modem_run.

- Peter Joanes.

you guys need to pass the -a option with the new modem_run
either use the KQD6_3.012 driver from the site or use /usr/share/speedtouch/boot.v123.bin which comes with speedtouch-1.2 (only for the -a option, use the -f option with whatever you want).

peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rensi
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Oct 2002
Posts: 66
Location: Salzburg, Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I've switched from kernel 2.6.5 to kernel 2.6.6 I always get following error when i try to start my connection as usual

Code:
May 27 15:49:02 [modem_run] modem_run version 1.2-beta2 started by reini uid 0_
May 27 15:49:02 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
May 27 15:49:06 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
May 27 15:49:30 [modem_run] ADSL synchronization has been obtained_
May 27 15:49:30 [modem_run] ADSL line is up (800 kbit/s down | 128 kbit/s up)_
May 27 15:49:30 [modem_run] pusb_release_interface 2 failed
May 27 15:49:31 [modem_run] Device disconnected, shutting down
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/pppoatm.so loaded.
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] connect(8.48): Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] Failed to open 8.48: Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:39 [pppd] connect(8.48): Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:39 [pppd] Failed to open 8.48: Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:43 [pppd] connect(8.48): Resource temporarily unavailable
[...]


anyone can help?
thanks reini
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mmg
n00b
n00b


Joined: 02 Sep 2003
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. fixed it by downgrading to 2.6.5 again.

it seems to be related to the usb-updates in the kernel 2.6.6. there are several fixes available, but none of the fixes that I tried brought back my modem...

so, downgrading to 2.6.5 was the solution I choosed.

regs,
marco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fr4nk
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 May 2004
Posts: 22
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all, I don't use gentoo, because my Traffic Limit is not so high :( , but the documentations here are great :-).
I'm using Mandrake 9.2 with kernel 2.6.6, and have problems with my USB-Modem...

I've read this how-to, done everything postet there, except the thing with the patched pppd, because I can't make ebuild with Mandrake...

So I've skipped this step and went on. After running modem_run and pppd, I get following:

Code:
PPPoATM plugin_init
PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options
PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:8.48


looks allright, but there is still no internet connecton :(

The Modem ran well with the original Mandrake Kernel 2.4.22 and the speedtouchconf-script.

does anybody know what to do?


tia, frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fazto
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Posts: 19
Location: Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: New HOWTO Reply with quote

After reading this GREAT guide (thanx Kerframil!!) i've managed to get it work after quitte some nights. Because I've done it quitte a bit different than this guide, i've decided to put together a new HOWTO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rensi
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Oct 2002
Posts: 66
Location: Salzburg, Austria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rensi wrote:
since I've switched from kernel 2.6.5 to kernel 2.6.6 I always get following error when i try to start my connection as usual

Code:
May 27 15:49:02 [modem_run] modem_run version 1.2-beta2 started by reini uid 0_
May 27 15:49:02 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 1 claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
May 27 15:49:06 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed while 'modem_run' sets config #1
May 27 15:49:30 [modem_run] ADSL synchronization has been obtained_
May 27 15:49:30 [modem_run] ADSL line is up (800 kbit/s down | 128 kbit/s up)_
May 27 15:49:30 [modem_run] pusb_release_interface 2 failed
May 27 15:49:31 [modem_run] Device disconnected, shutting down
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/pppoatm.so loaded.
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] connect(8.48): Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:35 [pppd] Failed to open 8.48: Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:39 [pppd] connect(8.48): Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:39 [pppd] Failed to open 8.48: Resource temporarily unavailable
May 27 15:49:43 [pppd] connect(8.48): Resource temporarily unavailable
[...]


mmg wrote:
I had the same problem. fixed it by downgrading to 2.6.5 again.

it seems to be related to the usb-updates in the kernel 2.6.6. there are several fixes available, but none of the fixes that I tried brought back my modem...

so, downgrading to 2.6.5 was the solution I choosed.


In kernel 2.6.7 it's working for me again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kerframil
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Apr 2002
Posts: 710
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: New HOWTO Reply with quote

fazto wrote:
After reading this GREAT guide (thanx Kerframil!!) i've managed to get it work after quitte some nights. Because I've done it quitte a bit different than this guide, i've decided to put together a new HOWTO

Thank you :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum