View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonchik1976
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: what filesystem do you use? and why? Reply with quote

ext3? ext4? xfs? something else?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ext4 and FAT32. I use ext4 because it is widely used and very stable. I use FAT32 because that is what EFI bootloader requires.

I don't use ext3 because it has been enhanced into ext4 so it really just amounts to having less features and fewer eyes looking for problems. ext2 is good for /boot since it doesn't need a journal. Most other file systems have some reliability/support issues or are just slower.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reiserfs - rock solid, nobody is "fixing" or "improving" it; fat32 - UEFI; NTFS - occasionally boot windows
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext4 when I need a boring system, btrfs when I want to make things "interesting", UDF for interacting with dumb OSes.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with Ext4. At the moment I don't feel the need to try anything else.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zfs, wanted to try out the snapshotting feature. It's very cool. lz4 compression saves me some space without noticable latency.
/boot on ext2

Last edited by mrbassie on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use xfs but switched over to ext4 again.

Well personally i use an lvm container which contains a luks volume which utilize ext4. My boot is ext2 which is basically ext3/4 without journal. ext4 is kinda mature now but it had it issues in the early days.

I highly recommend using lvm because it has some hidden features as moving volumes and other cool stuff which I already did. So i just moved my current lvm container from my old harddrive to my new ones. So my installation is 4 years old ...
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I use ext4 and FAT32. I use ext4 because it is widely used and very stable. I use FAT32 because that is what EFI bootloader requires.

I don't use ext3 because it has been enhanced into ext4 so it really just amounts to having less features and fewer eyes looking for problems. ext2 is good for /boot since it doesn't need a journal. Most other file systems have some reliability/support issues or are just slower.

ext4 on root usr and data partitions (reasons similar to The Doctor), reiserfs on var for small files performance. Might be tempted to try btrfs for the next install or next time I need to shuffle things about :)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext3, but i'm trying ext4 on some non vital datas (the fsck timing is impressive compare to ext3, but i'm not yet ready to switch, waiting a few more).
ext3 prove many times an impressive robustness to power failure and other unexpected events and stability, and a good value at recovering from errors. ext4 has not yet prove that to me.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: my mix Reply with quote

ext4 for /boot (using grub2 here) and for some system roots still.

btrfs for a number of system roots now and have been happy with it

btrfs for all raid arrays. The older are still raid1 based because I've been running them now since before the raid5 support got added (about 2 years?)

and now....

ceph (firefly release) on top of btrfs raids for a >50tb distributed object store. The raid arrays above are still in the process of being loaded into ceph but they will eventually be dedicated to just supporting it. I'll also eventually turn off their samba and nfs shares everywhere except at a couple of gateways.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly using right now ext2/3 (ext2 for boot) ext3 for everything else (of course fat32 for uefi), then I have ntfs for dealing with windows. I have used ext4 before for a while on a different systems. I may switch this system over to ext4 when ever I get bored enough. I've looked into lvm several times, but just don't see much benefit from using it. Considering I don't use any raid setups. From what I've seen, coping partitions from 1 drive to another is a moot point for me; as just coping everything over preserving permissions and stuff works perfectly fine (tested that out on the system I am using right now, and have yet to see an issue). I only had to remember to correct the fstab to the new system (My kernels typically are pretty flexible in that I can transfer then to another system and not have to recompile).

*Update* Switched my root system and my /home partion to ext4 without any issue. Looked into LVM some more, and it seems if I want to even play with lvm, I have to have a initramfs. Personaly, I don't see any reason to have a initramfs only for lvm (my kernel has all the necessary modules builtin in) or only have lvm for my /home partition. Considering my drive that has my rootfs is old, and I expect that to die in the next year or 2; it would have been nice to quickly restore that. However, it seems I will just do it like I've done it all the other years.

Last edited by ct85711 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2/3.. Why fix what isn't broken?

Linux Owns.

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using btrfs in an 8 terabyte RAID5 array and no backups because I am a moron with a tragic and terminal disregard for data stability and safety! \:O/

(halp me)
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2 on boot and ext4 on everything else. I used to use xfs on one partition with big files and was quite happy with it.
However I find that ext4 also performs quite well and it has the added advantage that sys-fs/ext4magic sys-fs/extundelete can be used with it.
(If used promptly and properly these really do allow the recovery of almost all files lost due to a careless directory deletion.)

Warning I do not use systemd to handle my mounts. Adding anything like noauto,x-systemd.automount,ext4 to /etc/fstab has caused no end of grief for me.

In particular my backupscripts (which use afio) almost always failed when I did use those options.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luks on LVM. ext2 for /boot everything else ext4. One small NTFS partition for a Windows boot that I can't get rid of yet for work reasons.
Dr Croubie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2 on /boot, because, well, it's /boot and you don't need anything better (although I've put in the kernel module for ext4 to cover ext2 and ext3 and I don't use ext3 or ext4, so maybe I'll downgrade the kernel to ext2 one day for no reason).
Way back when I first started meddling with penguins, ext2 was pretty much all there was.

About 10 years ago (when I started on gentoo) I started with ReiserFS on / and /home (I've always got 2 discs when I can, a small /boot with / and a large /home). I'm not a big of the handbook saying Reiser 'seems to be less maintained', but it balances well with the developers saying Reiser is perfect and doesn't need any fixes ever again. Somewhere in between those two lies the truth.

When I started backing up semi-religiously, with three external 1TB HDDs (/home is also 1TB), I put ReiserFS on two of them and JFS on the other, after hearing that JFS is better with large files and Reiser is better with lots of small files. I've got lots of photos 5-100MB each (I'm a photographer) so I thought JFS might be better for that. But I haven't noticed any performance difference because all I do with those drives is rsync them occasionally (then leave one at my mum's house in case mine burns down, she gives one of her backup discs to me for the same reason). In case of a weird virus or bad update corrupting one type of filesystem, at least I've got the other.

Just re-installing again now on a fresh SSD, for no reason I've put / as JFS instead of ReiserFS for a change.
mayak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 'Ext4' on almost all partitions since it never let me down.
And there are no plans to switch to another file system actually.
The NFS servers are the only exception. There we use 'XFS' as file system since we got better performance.

Another file system I use is 'OCFS2' - which is totally awesome (I know it sounds bizarre but I actually like this Oracle software).
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using reiser (3) on all my partitions (except boot) for a long time, never any problems even with the (few) sudden shutdowns I've encountered.

Looking at getting a ssd for root and home so I'm looking at btrfs (reiser3 doesn't do discard/trim) for those partitions.

Edit to add: Got in the ssd yesterday and swapped over / to btrfs, works well. Nice speed up on boot time (still using openrc)

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zfs and tmpfs. It's all I need.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2 on /boot
xfs for MythTV storage
Generally ext4 for everything else

That said, I'm starting to experiment with btrfs for my nfs server. I'm using subvolumes to separate mount points, and want to build a (offsite with portable drives) backup strategy with snapshots.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReiserFS for "murders your wife" feature. https://encyclopediadramatica.es/Hans_Reiser (Sorry, there used to be better filesystem comparision on wikipedia, but it was removed as a vandalism)

Just kidding. Ext2 on /boot and ext3 on the rest. Old, well tested, well supported, and the only extra thing I sometimes wish it had is file consistency check (hash), but then I come to conclusion fighting bit rot is underlaing devices' job, so what's the problem.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use fat32, ext4, and jfs.

fat32:

I hate this file system, but my EFI setup requires it. I constantly get fsck failures on the system utilities partition no matter what I do. I've stopped caring. I use this for /boot/efi and the system utilities partition.

ext4:

I use this because it plays nice with rEFInd and because its performance is acceptable. I use this for rootfs and /boot.

jfs:

Extremely low CPU overhead, fast fsck, and in my experience good recovery. I use this for /var, /home, and /tmp.
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2 for boot, ext4 for partition, and xfs for recently data like music or something. For external storage for router and media player use ext3.

jfs also good for data, maybe replace the xfs parition.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ext4fs - for SSDs (TRIM)
Ext3fs - for most mechanical HDDs if I didn't migrate to ext4fs
Ext2fs - for low ram systems and sometimes boot for Linux-only systems.
XFS - experimental filesystems, may use it more for media volumes.
Fat16/Fat32 - for transferring between M$ OS and for boot/EFI partitions.

I used to use Reiserfs because it saves a lot of space on the portage tree (and reduces number of needed seeks with a HDD to read it) but after disks have gotten so large and concerns about support loss over time, I switched to ext3/ext4.
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use btrfs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: