Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ext4 for main partitions.
Ext4 w/o journal for external harddisks and /boot.
fat/vfat for exchange purposes.
squashfs+overlayfs/aufs/unionfs-fuse for portage tree, /var/db, /usr/src, /usr/share/{games,texmf-dist}, /usr/lib/libreoffice, joint E*_STORE_DIR
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2FS, XFS v5
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2 (perhaps ext3 somewhere), reiserfs(3), XFS depending on partition, type of drive, and purpose. Not with super deep thoughts. Used JFS onces, switched it to reiserfs(3) just for some uniformity :)
risq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ext4 for all my systems, wheter its SSD or harddrive. rock solid fs since years
ftz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2 for /boot and the highest numbered and hopefilly matured ext for everything else. Always worked well so far.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't use btrfs

My >40tb Ceph store considers those fighting words... Just what words do you have to back up your assertion?
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with btrfs was this:

Converting from ext4 to btrfs worked fine.

Converting to RAID1 failed with an error that the file system was full, even though it was not. This is a known problem. The workaround http://marc.merlins.org/perso/btrfs/post_2014-05-04_Fixing-Btrfs-Filesystem-Full-Problems.html did not work for me.

Converting back to single-disk, or to RAID-0 failed as well with the same error. This left my system in a mishmash of single-disk, RAID-0, and RAID-1 with no way to get out of this state.

Attempts to revert to ext4 using the built-in reversion feature failed summarily as well.

Attempts to resize the btrfs partitions so that I could move the data to an ext4 partition failed as well.

I eventually had to wipe all my drives, format them as ext4, and restore the whole system from backup.

I also noticed bizarre data corruption in my files. For instance, my /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file mysteriously developed errors that I had to edit back to the way it was supposed to be.

This was true with all versions of btrfs-progs, up to 9999.

Btrfs reminded me of a disease. Not too hard to get, doesn't work as advertised, it might kill your system, and there is no way to get rid of it.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough then. I always copied from ext4 or whatever to a fresh btrfs volume set and never tried to convert in-place. I never had any problems as a result other than one or two that I later found were due to corrupted memory sticks.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
I never had any problems as a result other than one or two that I later found were due to corrupted memory sticks.

This is interesting to judge the quality and "matureness" of the filesystem:
Which problems did you have? Did anything else occur than that some file was unreadable at some place?
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desktop: ext2 for /boot, reiserfs for the rest of the system partitions, XFS on the raid 5 that contains my data files and JFS on a spare disk that is used as a sort of first line backup/scratchpad

laptop: ext2 for /boot and XFS for all the rest.

fat32 for a couple of external usb disks
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use everything btrfs for some years now, I like lzo compression for faster readback for some uses - not particularly important but is nice anyway.

My most interesting use is probably an external drive which is complete btrfs formatted and has subvolumes for 6 permanent containers and if I need a new container I just create another subvolume and throw it in there.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is interesting to judge the quality and "matureness" of the filesystem:
Which problems did you have? Did anything else occur than that some file was unreadable at some place?

I had two cases where system memory was bad but that didn't show in POST and was only revealed through an extensive run of memtest. In both cases I think btrfs got set off when reflink data got whacked. The fsck was unable to correct this, but I was still able to mount the filesystem readonly and copy off files other than the ones that got hit by the corruption.

With ceph running on top, I had an AMD Kaveri with two btrfs based OSDs have problems when I was running a Bonnie++ performance test on the cluster. I'm pretty sure this one was due to immature Kaveri drivers in the 3.15.6 kernel or possibly an interaction with running the AMD Catalyst driver. The first time it happened, one OSD stayed down with btrfs problems after reboot, but I managed to fsck it and zero the journal to get it back online. A second time caused reflink problems that fsck couldn't fix and left the filesystem readonly.

At that point, it was a simple matter to just blow away the OSD's btrfs store, reformat and let the cluster put everything back from replicated objects elsewhere. I've since moved that system up to 3.16.2 and have switched from Catalyst to the FLOSS driver and everything appears to be fine now. I should also note that this system is my mythtv box, and I had occasional kernel panics when exiting fullscreen playback with either the embedded mytv player, vlc or smplayer2. That probably didn't do the OSDs any good when it happened :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: