systemd-udevd cpu usage and systemd questions [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: systemd-udevd cpu usage and systemd questions [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an open-rc install. However, ksysguard shows me processes called systemd-udevd. As I don't use systemd I wonder why is a systemd process there anyway?

What caused me to inquire about this is a strange behavior. systemd-udevd started to use more and more processor resources. It eventually slowed down the system. Some research showed that the problem seamed to be with bumblebee. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-989268-start-0.html is another thread where they seam to have the same issue. I removed bumblebee from the default runlevel. As described in the linked post if bumblebee is not started, the problem does not occur. I manually started bumblebee to check and indeed as soon as it is running the problem appears. It also stops when bumblebee is stopped again. I guess it's a bug with bumblebee. Fair enough, but are systemd components required even if I don't have systemd installed? I thought that only new versions of gnome desktop require systemd and I am using KDE.

let me sum up my questions to be more clear about what I am looking for:
1. Did bumblebee pull in systemd-udevd or is there another culprit and bumblebee would work fine without systemd-udevd?
2. Is there a list with packages that require systemd?
3. Am I correct in assuming that gentoo with open-rc should not use any systemd components at all?
4. If I were to use systemd instead of open-rc would the problem be likely to disappear (no competing packages)?
5. Can I ensure that I use either open-rc or systemd and not mix them, or will some packages require both?

Sidenote: So far I have not looked at systemd. I have no problem with it even though I think an init system should not have system controlling components. However, I don't have enough insight into the issue and why it was made that way. I am not looking for open-rc vs systemd flamewar. I merely wonder how it would affect the problem described above if I were to use systemd instead of open-rc.

Last edited by motaito on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: systemd-udevd cpu usage and systemd questions Reply with quote

motaito wrote:

1. Did bumblebee pull in systemd-udevd or is there another culprit and bumblebee would work fine without systemd-udevd?
2. Is there a list with packages that require systemd?
3. Am I correct in assuming that gentoo with open-rc should not use any systemd components at all?
4. If I were to use systemd instead of open-rc would the problem be likely to disappear (no competing packages)?
5. Can I ensure that I use either open-rc or systemd and not mix them, or will some packages require both?

1/ udev runtime was rename to systemd-udev for unknown reason to me (i just assume it's to allow systemd devs to wank even more)
2/ I don't know list of package, you can ask equery to answer that, but for you case, you will not get any answer as you just don't have systemd
3/ yep
4/ no, bumblebee users report the problem comes from udev/eudev/systemd whatever autoloading system you use that keep autoload/unload nvidia driver, and it seems it's because flash plugins is doing it : so you're fix is to disable hardware usage in flash plugin. (i'm not sure it will fix your issue, but worth trying, please seek forum on howto disable hardware accel with flash as my memory have limits).
5/ openrc doesn't depend on systemd, and systemd dependency over openrc was remove. So no, not anymore if your system is update. If anyone do an ebuild that depend on both of them, openrc users and systemd users would jump on him, so i'm sure no dev is mad enough to do that.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ which equery && equery d $(qlist -IC systemd) || echo "emerge  gentoolkit portage-utils"
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the quick help!

@krinn
I will check about the flash plugin and make an additional post to the thread about it. For now I got the answers I was looking for and mark the thread as solved.

@ulenrich
Thanks for the query. I'm sure it will come in handy.
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About disabling the flash hardware usage in flash. I am somewhat unsure. Here is what I did:

- bumblebee is not running
- run a flash with hardware usage (on youtube)
-> systemd-udevd is not used

- disable hardware usage in flash
- enable bumblebee
- run a flash again
-> systemd-udevd is not used

- enable both bumblebee and flash hardware usage
-> systemd-udevd is used and keeps claiming processor power

- disable flash hardware usage but keep bumblebee running
-> systemd-udevd is still used and keeps claiming processor power

- stop bumblebee
-> systemd-udevd stops being used.

So the problem only occurs if both flash hardware usage and bumblebee are running. In order to make it go away you have to shutdown bumblebee. Even if flash is the culprit, the solution is to shutdown bumblebee. A bit weird...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: