Grub2 fails to boot a new install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
needlern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Grub2 fails to boot a new install Reply with quote

One of these days I'm actually going to be able to boot my new Gentoo installation. I'm oh so close. I did not have any grub2 complaints when I ran
#grub2-install /dev/sda. What's happening when I reboot it says "GRUB loading." 10-15 seconds later it reboots and repeats "GRUB loading", etc.

Here's the location of a bpaste on my GRUB file http://bpaste.net/show/529022/

Here's my gpt setup - /dev/sda1 ext2 bios_grub 2mb; /dev/sda2 ext2 /boot 128mb; /dev/sda3 linux-swap /swap 512mb; /dev/sda4 ext4 /root 698gb.

Looking forward to your help.

Bill
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: framebuffer is probably hiding something Reply with quote

I find a number of folk miss stuff because the graphic console gets in the way in early boot. Edit your /etc/default/grub to disable the graphic terminal by uncommenting this stanza:

Code:
# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Then do the mkconfig again

Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

You don't need to re-run grub-install. Another problem with this early use of the framebuffer is that it can interfere with the proprietary nvidia and ati drivers when you try to start X.

My guess is that your cycling boot is because the kernel can't find your root device, but you aren't seeing that error behind all of the eye candy
Twenynge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does ext2 work for the bios partition? I always thought you had to use the BIOS boot type.
needlern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume I have to chroot back in to correct my errors?

Bill
JamieWolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes chroot back into the install to correct the errors. Do not forget to mount /sys /dev /proc etc.

Also are you running a UEFI boot or a BIOS boot?
I myself had many fights with Grub2 in the beginning, but now its working like a charm. I use BIOS boot, since my rootserver do not have UEFI and I can really recommend you https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB this wiki. Lots of really good information!

Especially this part https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GUID_Partition_Table_.28GPT.29_specific_instructions could be really usefull for your setup.

Cheers
JamieWolf
JamieWolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And check this https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Gentoo_Quick_Install_Guide for UEFI installation instructions
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: