Choppy mouse in winex
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwiedmann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Choppy mouse in winex Reply with quote

When I play StarCraft under Winex, the mouse jumps around the screen in what appears to be equal size choppy jumps. The size of the jumps is smaller when winex is run under root. This makes the game challenging to say the least.

What I tried:
1) changing x86config options using various: Xset m, resolution, and samplerate settings. All these changes take effect on the desktop but disappear when I start winex.
2)Enabling DGA in winex config file...no change (/dev/mem access enable)

On the Winex site I found references to saying there are problems with the special changes in the gentoo sources kernel and winex but not with the plain vanilla kernel?

Questions:
1)Is there a work around for the gentoo sources kernel ( if that is a problem) or should I switch to the vanilla kernel?
2)Does anyone have the same problem running the cvs version of winex and the gentoo sources kernel?

Set up:
Gentoo 1.2
gentoo sources kernel
Winex (Suscribed version 2.01-1 from tar)
Athlon 1300
256 ram
GeForce2 mx 32m
Asus A7V mother board, Via chipset
Logitech usb optical mouse
gwiedmann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well switching to the vanilla kernel has made the mouse much smoother, it's not as good as it was running under debian but it is playable. I will try messing around with a few of the mouse settings and see if it can be improved.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's something to do with the internals of the kernel , gentoo sources and redhat 7.3's kernel both have issues with star/warcraft3 , seems unrelated to preempt or lowlatency patches...
I found the stock Vanilla fine....
Cheers
Dale.
Locke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm. I don't have Starcraft installed under WineX yet, so I can't test that. But in Half-Life, I get a constant 72.0 FPS. When I use mouselook, however, the movements seem choppy -- I was thinking it was a weird GL problem of some sort, but it does seem more like a mouse issue now that I think about it.

Problem is, I'm not using a gentoo kernel, or any sort of emerged kernel for that matter. I'm using a kernel.org 2.4.19 with SGI's XFS patch. :?
Mr. Ust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the exact same problem regarding Starcraft every since I started using winex. I messed around with the configuration for many hours, and after searching the forums here came to the conclusion that it was a kernel problem. Recompiling the kernel gave me about a 50% speedup, but still not enough to make the game playable (IMO). I don't really want to run a vanilla sources kernel just for the sake of Starcraft anyway.

I don't think it's just the mouse however. Pay close attention to the small animations on the opening menu of Starcraft. You'll notice a lot of slowdown/chopiness there as well. Not to mention the sliding menus when you start a new game. This is weird, because I can get the introductory video to play perfectly well with no chopiness. Maybe the sampling rate of the mouse is slowing down the game or something? I'm stumped. If you find the fix, let me know!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: