auto check kernel config by ebuild?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpemud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: auto check kernel config by ebuild? Reply with quote

Many ebuilds give warnings on kernel config, such as app-emulation/qemu, dev-util/systemtap, media-sound/pulseaudio.
But these warnings are only showed once after emerging is done, it's too easy to miss them.
Is there a command that I can see the kernel config warnings of all the installed packages whenever I want?

Additionaly, is there any way to auto check the kernel config by these messages?
I have read the code of linux-info.eclass and linux-mod.eclass and it seems there's no way to do it.
I can implement this requirement in my project fpemud-kernelmanager and ebuild2, but I think this solution is too specilized.
pavel.stratil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm also dearly missing a command line script which I could use to set kernel options including their dependencies. I'd love to hook it up into portage via /etc/portage/env to hook into pkg_postinst() to test and modify the current kernel config to comply to the requirements of packages needing special kernel configuration. The script would either prepare a modified config file or, in case of colliding kernel options, explain the conflict. Having such a script would also make it easy to build templated kernels - one would just pass the script kernel options that are required by user and the script could take the default config for a given platform and the script would act accordingly. So for example, if my kernel template would require

Code:
CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM=y

then the script would tell me I need to enable

Code:
CONFIG_BT=y
CONFIG_NET=y

if they arent enabled. Such a script would bring awesome things to gentoo:

- the already mentioned possibility to build kernel from templates
- appending additional config options into the template and asking for a kernel rebuild by emerging a package requiring such option
- way faster kernel upgrades replacing the not always reliable make oldconfig

I think such a dedicated tool would be godsent since it will allow other distros to do the same trick (at least the custom kernel templating), Gentoo would benefit even more by having this pluggable into the emerge process through /etc/portage/env
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: